Solenoid?

Guest jerms

Guest jerms

So my 5th Gen has been sitting for some time with electrical gremlins, and I got around to trying to pinpoint the problem the other day. I am not mechanically inclined, but wanted to take a look around. Here's what I found...

When trying to start, the solenoid will click very loudly, and randomly turn the engine over but go right back to clicking. Or it will do nothing - no lights, no instrumentation, no fuel pump. I ordered a new one from a local dealer and replaced it yesterday, but it's doing the same thing.

Can anyone tell me if there is something else I can check on my own, or am I going to have to fork over the money and the headache of taking it in for service?

Thanks guys.

• Member Contributer
So my 5th Gen has been sitting for some time with electrical gremlins, and I got around to trying to pinpoint the problem the other day. I am not mechanically inclined, but wanted to take a look around. Here's what I found...

When trying to start, the solenoid will click very loudly, and randomly turn the engine over but go right back to clicking. Or it will do nothing - no lights, no instrumentation, no fuel pump. I ordered a new one from a local dealer and replaced it yesterday, but it's doing the same thing.

Can anyone tell me if there is something else I can check on my own, or am I going to have to fork over the money and the headache of taking it in for service?

Thanks guys.

Your battery is weak. Charge it or boost it and it will turn over.

The other option is the ignition switch...no lights at all, but then sometimes starting would seem to point to a battery that works.

The best thing to do is start by testing the battery voltage, then trying to crank the engine over while reading the voltage on the battery. If the voltage on the battery is 12+ volts, and you have no lights, you are missing a connection somewhere. If the voltage is 12+, but then drops to less than 8 when trying to crank it, your battery needs charged/replaced.

Hmm - I had just charged the battery before trying this. Maybe it's not holding a full charge. I'll check tonight.

Thanks...

• Member Contributer

Sounds like a problem that a CBR-F1 I was looking at buying a few years back had. It was the ignition switch, which is an easy fix--a little contact cleaner and a toothbrush later, everything worked great.

• Member Contributer

I agree, sounds like not enough juice in the battery - starter relay clicks like a cockroach.

check your grounds sounds like a short. Find a long thin wire and put one end in the back of the blue connector located on left side under fairing where the green wire is and the other end either to the negative terminal on the battery or to a bolt on the frame and then try starting it.

Archived