Aircraft Paint Stripper

Headhunter

you look at the hardware stores yet? homedepot/lowes. . . .even wal mart has it. the stuff i used was the paint stripper that was in a gel form so i painted it on with a foam brush and then let it sit for a while then did some wet sanding after that

http://rides.webshots.com/album/554471739WxPWcC that has pics of it being done mostly

i did that to the wheels on my f4i about a year ago and they still look awesome. i just clean em up every once in a while

• Member Contributer
Help!! I'm trying to strip my rear wheel and am having a tough time with getting the paint off.

Where do I get the good stuff?

I got mine at AutoZone. Aircraft paint stripper.

i think i used 1000 3m wet/dry for the tough powdercoat that wouldn't come off from the use of a scraper. most of the stuff comes off with the stripper and i mostly just used it to clean the stubborn spots.

i didn't actuallly use aircraft stripper but whatever industrial stuff they had up at homedepot. i also have a can of this aircraft stripper but i had it in a rattle can and didn't want to have to deal with spraying stuff on there and went with the gel route

• Member Contributer

I've done about four sets of wheels, using the Aircraft stripper and a power washer and never used any sandpaper. The trick with the stripper is to follow the instructions and the hotter it is the better it works. Almost all of the wheels I did took two applications but you just slop it on and walk away. When it is 90-95 degrees outside it works real fast. Be sure and use gloves and face protection is a good idea also. The powder coat will start looking like a dried prune. That's when you know it's working. And don't breathe the vapors either! Good Luck!

Ernie

• Member Contributer
I hope it works or I will be riding Sunday with a really Ghetto looking partially stripped wheel.

My money is on the latter. It's a lot of work if you are stripping the entire wheel. I'll never do it again (maybe lips only) and spend the money for powdercoating instead. Good luck.

• Member Contributer
WalMart carries it now too.

Yep, I got a can there recently.

I hope it works or I will be riding Sunday with a really Ghetto looking partially stripped wheel.

My money is on the latter. It's a lot of work if you are stripping the entire wheel. I'll never do it again (maybe lips only) and spend the money for powdercoating instead. Good luck.

I just put the 2nd coat of Aircraft Stripper on. It looks like I will be dropping the wheels off at the powdercoater next week.

I just put the 2nd coat of Aircraft Stripper on. It looks like I will be dropping the wheels off at the powdercoater next week.

Does this mean the paint is not coming off? What color are you going to have put back on?

• 2 weeks later...

Does this mean the paint is not coming off? What color are you going to have put back on?

Patience is key, don't try to remove it all at once. It took me about 4 appications. I didn't use sand paper either. Just a plastic scrapper. Also, don't let it sit too long before removing paint. When it starts to bubble, it's time to start stripping.

Archived