Tires - How Old Before They Are Nfg ?

KanadianKen

I have a set of Roadtec Z6's that I am going to install on my bike - likely in the next 4 - 6 weeks.

Front tire was built 43rd week of 2005, rear was built 15th week of 2005.

THey are actually NEWER than the existing Roadtecs on my bike right now.

ANyways, I have no concerns with these New tires but I wondered just how old, is TOO old for "new" tires to be installed?

ANyone have any real data?

Ken, I think 3-5 years is a normal range, but temp, storage, use, etc. will all effect the breakdown of the rubber. You could have 10 year old tires if they were stored properly. As long as they don't look like Sebs pic. Also how you plan to ride is something to consider. :rolleyes:

I ran a brand new Pilot Race this year that was built in 02 and had no issues. :thumbsup:

Ken, I think 3-5 years is a normal range, but temp, storage, use, etc. will all effect the breakdown of the rubber. You could have 10 year old tires if they were stored properly. As long as they don't look like Sebs pic. Also how you plan to ride is something to consider. :rolleyes:

I ran a brand new Pilot Race this year that was built in 02 and had no issues. :thumbsup:

And for the record, he keeps them in a climate controlled spare bedroom(the warehouse annex??). :goofy:

And for the record, he keeps them in a climate controlled spare bedroom(the warehouse annex??). :blink:

It's "spare bathroom" ! :goofy:

tires.jpg

It's "spare bathroom" ! :rolleyes:

tires.jpg

Heh, is that where you moved them to? I distinctly remember sleeping in a room full of parts and tires... I didn't drink THAT much Jagermeister did I? :goofy:

Sorry Ken!!! :blink:

• Member Contributer
I distinctly remember sleeping in a room full of parts and tires... I didn't drink THAT much Jagermeister did I? :rolleyes:

Yes you did drink that much, and it was probably Kevin's bedroom :goofy:

I distinctly remember sleeping in a room full of parts and tires... I didn't drink THAT much Jagermeister did I? :goofy:

Yes you did drink that much, and it was probably Kevin's bedroom :blink:

Ouch, I walked right into that, didn't I? :rolleyes: I'm not taking it any further either... :goofy:

• Member Contributer
I have a set of Roadtec Z6's that I am going to install on my bike - likely in the next 4 - 6 weeks.

ANyways, I have no concerns with these New tires but I wondered just how old, is TOO old for "new" tires to be installed?

That's actually an excellent question - I usually use a set a year to avoid the dilemma. But what is the life of rubber? Some riders have their tires for years, are they still good?

Some magazine must have done some research at some points, no?

• Member Contributer

I remember a conversation with a Metzeler rep a few years ago. I also remember him saying three years if they were properly stored.

But tire storage was not the official subject of the conversation.

At least this might be better than no real data.

I distinctly remember sleeping in a room full of parts and tires... I didn't drink THAT much Jagermeister did I? :unsure:

Yes you did drink that much, and it was probably Kevin's bedroom :blink:

Ouch, I walked right into that, didn't I? :rolleyes: I'm not taking it any further either... :goofy:

Whether you walked in, backed in, or were dragged in - thats too much information!!!! BUt if thats what floats your boat, its still gey. :goofy:

I distinctly remember sleeping in a room full of parts and tires... I didn't drink THAT much Jagermeister did I?

Yes you did drink that much, and it was probably Kevin's bedroom

Ouch, I walked right into that, didn't I? :rolleyes: I'm not taking it any further either...

Whether you walked in, backed in, or were dragged in - thats too much information!!!! BUt if thats what floats your boat, its still gey. :blink:

Not in my house you bastiges! I can't drink enough to even think that direction! :goofy:

Yes, you did stay with a pile of new tires on your visit Seb! :goofy:

I feel the need to clarify a little... I was drinking Jagermeister with these LADIES!!! :joystick:

gallery_5444_2144_50966.jpg

Inez, Amy, Me, and Nicole.jpg Kevin tried to set me up with a couple locals, as it turns out, they were visiting from NY also!!

:rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

I don't see any tires in that pic.... Well, maybe a spare on the left....but where did the rest come from? :rolleyes:

Archived