Powder Coated Wheels

stic3

• Member Contributer

After procrastinating long enough and when it time for new tires I finally did my wheels. The wheels were done in what they call Brilliant Silver base with a clear coat over. The cost for glass beading the wheels, powder coating and clear coating both wheels was $160. The glass beading of the wheels seemed to have removed a little if the roughness of the unfinished cast sections of the wheels. The clear coat seemed to dull the apperance of the silver base coat somewhat, but they do change the look of the bike, to me it just looks lighter, even if it still weighs the same.

At the same time I replaced the brake pads with EBC HH pads front and rear. The shop that put the tires on replaced the valve stems with metal stems that have a slight angle to them, it makes checking tire pressure a little easier, they also replace both front wheel bearings.

After cleaning and lubing the chain I noticed a little splatter on the rear wheel, I cleaned the wheel with bug and tar remover and put on a coat of wax, so far they are staying clean.

gallery_2434_526_1297308.jpg

gallery_2434_526_2132436.jpg

post-2434-1181862936_thumb.jpg

looks really sharp. they did a great job on the coating, looks just like the factory finish on my 2005. the angled valve-stems is a great idea, i'll do that when i change my tires this summer, it's a bit tight getting the pump attached.

Man those look sweet!!! been thinking about doing that as well, that is once I get a new bike :P I hope they serve you well and last as long as the bike! Let us know if there are further benefits / drawbacks to having them set up the way you do.

• 1 month later...