Need Advice On Tire Combo Metzelers

DougFromIndy

• Member Contributer

I am super cheap and get great deals on tires....yes, I know what wear bars are also...man that last post was scary!!!!!

I got a 180/55/17 METZ MEZ4 in rear only (people say the mez4 upfront is bad news, no good, I listen) the rear however gets fairly good reviews and I like something in a longer mileage compound , doesnt have to be super sticky or warm up fast, as good as a BT-020 and I am fine with that.

OK, a METZ sportec M3 upfront 120/70/17 people like these, saying even works on the track.....

So this seems like a good combo to me.....tell me what you think???? again METZ tires only here in this discussion

also, both new $150 for the pair trying to save $$$$ for go-juice petrol

Thanks Doug

so push it and the rear would slide b4 the front....combo makes any sense?

my first question is what kind of life are you trying to get? i have no experience with z4, but z6 on rear and m1 on front worked fine for 4k miles riding mostly twisties...i switched to m3's on front and back and love them, but mileage and cost probably isn't what you want....so as best i can answer, the m3's will work great, but if you dont want sticky and you want mileage and save money, maybe there is better metzeler option?

I am super cheap and get great deals on tires....yes, I know what wear bars are also...man that last post was scary!!!!!

I got a 180/55/17 METZ MEZ4 in rear only (people say the mez4 upfront is bad news, no good, I listen) the rear however gets fairly good reviews and I like something in a longer mileage compound , doesnt have to be super sticky or warm up fast, as good as a BT-020 and I am fine with that.

OK, a METZ sportec M3 upfront 120/70/17 people like these, saying even works on the track.....

So this seems like a good combo to me.....tell me what you think???? again METZ tires only here in this discussion

also, both new $150 for the pair trying to save $$$$ for go-juice petrol

Thanks Doug

so push it and the rear would slide b4 the front....combo makes any sense?

It is true the z4 front is only good for staight line riding the z4 rear is usable( i rode 3 of them). THe Z6 is by far more sticky though it will squeek about the same milege as the z4 but much better traction both wet and dry. The pirelli stradas are cheaper than the met brand and same tire

Its a fine line between traction and milege, just depends on which side your willing to sacrifice

You couldn't pay me to ever run Z4's again. I thought the front and rear were horrible. The front was cupped badly after just over 2K, and the I couldn't keep the rear tire stuck to the pavement unless the bike was straight. Might be a good tire if you ride like Gary McCoy, and constantly smoke the rear while backing it in to corners... might start to stick once it melts... :rolleyes: The wear on the rear was ok, would have done ~4k, but I removed the set early and installed a set of Avons.

Best of luck to you Doug.

Obligatory pic of the edges shredding:

8106006.jpg

Archived