Cbr-f2 Fox Twin Clicker Shock On Vfr

Rice

• Member Contributer

Just received a Fox twin clicker from Seb (thanks - took me like an hour to unpack it:)

Now, I need to know if anyone has any experience with fitment on a v-tec.

I hope I won't have to manufacture anything for the lack of manufacturing capacity.

• Member Contributer

Yes, you are going to need to make the shock longer. The F2 shock is 292mm long and the VFR800's are 324mm. Normally what I do in this situation is make an extension that fits between the lower eye and the shock piston rod. This extension will have the 5/8-18 threads on each end to make with the Fox's threaded adjusters.

Don't forget that the F2 spring is way softer that what you need for the VFR. I've found that just changing the spring isn't enough, you need to also change the shim stack as well. I could help you out with these things if you run into trouble.

• Member Contributer
Yes, you are going to need to make the shock longer. The F2 shock is 292mm long and the VFR800's are 324mm. Normally what I do in this situation is make an extension that fits between the lower eye and the shock piston rod. This extension will have the 5/8-18 threads on each end to make with the Fox's threaded adjusters.

Don't forget that the F2 spring is way softer that what you need for the VFR. I've found that just changing the spring isn't enough, you need to also change the shim stack as well. I could help you out with these things if you run into trouble.

Thanks for the offer man!

I am kinda low on VFRfunds right now...

I will get in touch with you in a couple of month.

It looks like I will need to fabricate a bracket to extend length, swap out a spring and rebuild the thing...

Although Seb said that the spring that's on it now is for rider between 180 and 200 lb. I'm right in the middle, slowly creeping towards 180...

It looks like I will need to fabricate a bracket to extend length, swap out a spring and rebuild the thing...

Although Seb said that the spring that's on it now is for rider between 180 and 200 lb. I'm right in the middle, slowly creeping towards 180...

I would make a simple spacer and slap it on. It has a spring 100 lbs stiffer than the stock if I remember right and that's a great start.

This is basically all you need, a longer bolt and a chunk of metal.

Stock on top.

shockspacermod002.jpg

By the way J/D reference to length is for a 5th gen shock (324mm) the Vtec is more like 312-14mm long, close to 1/2" shorter.

• Member Contributer

I would make a simple spacer and slap it on. It has a spring 100 lbs stiffer than the stock if I remember right and that's a great start.

This is basically all you need, a longer bolt and a chunk of metal.

Stock on top.

shockspacermod002.jpg

By the way J/D reference to length is for a 5th gen shock (324mm) the Vtec is more like 312-14mm long, close to 1/2" shorter.

Thanks for chiming in Baley.

How many cases of beer would it take for you to make this thing for me? :blink:

I don't even have wise in my garage... m uch less a welder sad.gif

• Member Contributer

I have an idea.

I'm gona buy this gizmo, the stock bracket that is, drill the short rod out and make up a new one and have some shop weld it in for me.

I think that will work.

Does anyone have a part number/name for it?

I have an idea.

I'm gona buy this gizmo, the stock bracket that is, drill the short rod out and make up a new one and have some shop weld it in for me.

I think that will work.

Does anyone have a part number/name for it?

Let me look around for you!

Sebspeed's also in NY and is a great fabricator, he might be able to come up with a spacer for you. Really you can use almost any solid bar, pipe, etc. with a hole through it.

You need to know the shortest distance of the Fox eye center to eye center, then make the spacer 1/8" shorter then the length needed to make it 12.375 long. Ace hardware has the bolts. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Are you sure the F2 shock has a 1000lb/in spring on it? That's pretty heavy for an F2, unless the rider was a really big guy. If so then you have really lucked out!

Also, all of the information I have, both catalogs and in my notes, state that all VFR800 shocks are 324mm. Where did you find it shown that the V-tecs are 312mm?

Sebspeed's also in NY and is a great fabricator, he might be able to come up with a spacer for you. Really you can use almost any solid bar, pipe, etc. with a hole through it.

Yeah, maybe I shoulda done that before I sent it out... :goofy:

If you're not in a hurry Dmitry, you're welcome to come visit me in June, and I can mod your bracket for you! Or, if you figure out your dimensions, send the piece to me and I'll take care of it.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, maybe I shoulda done that before I sent it out... :goofy:

If you're not in a hurry Dmitry, you're welcome to come visit me in June, and I can mod your bracket for you! Or, if you figure out your dimensions, send the piece to me and I'll take care of it.

Thanks for the offer.

I'm not in a hurry by any means and I will probably take you up on this. Will make for a fun day in the Katskills :beer:

I just ordered an OEM bracket - should make things easier.

Are you sure the F2 shock has a 1000lb/in spring on it? That's pretty heavy for an F2, unless the rider was a really big guy. If so then you have really lucked out!

Also, all of the information I have, both catalogs and in my notes, state that all VFR800 shocks are 324mm. Where did you find it shown that the V-tecs are 312mm?

Whatever sources you have are all wrong then! :goofy:

I have had all of these side by side and replaced several of each, plus many mods. I have never seen any place list then the same. :beer:

98-01 324mm, 02-up 312mm (or something close)

yes the F2/f3 shock he bought has a 950lb spring.

I actually ran the Fox F2 shock shown below w/o a spacer as it had just enough to meet min. required length for the Vtec application.

here's some to look at

from left Vtec, F4, F3, Fox F2/F3

Picture686.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Finally, after a month or so of toying with the idea, I went ahead and installed the shock. Sebastian, you're off the hook :rolleyes: but your generous offer is greatly appreciated nevertheless :thumbsup:

I bought the OEM upper bracket and removed the original bolt.

Went to Home Depot and bought a longer bolt of the same diameter and replaced the original. I did have to shave off about half of the thickness of the bolt head in order o avoid rubbing on the shock.

For spacer, I used a bunch of washers (7 or 8 I think). I did not weld anything, but I figure that the whole upper portion, the bracket, washers, etc... are held together tight enough by the bolt when it attachd to the frame.

Been commuting to work for a few days now and now I have to spend more money... :rolleyes:

The rear shock made me realize what I've been missing, so now Ineed to upgrade the springs and the oil in the forks... Where is that forks how-to?

With the shock alone, I have noticed that my front end is now more "twitchy" or less "planted" in turns. I may have lowered my rear ride height and transferred more weight to the rear, which is what's causing it.

Any way, next on my to-do list is setting rear sag and lowering the front slightly to see if things improve. All lin all, handling is not worse and probably slightly better than it was with the stock shock, but I want it to be a lot beter.

Clearly, I still have a lot to tweak to get it just right. Another good thing is that I now have a benchmark to compare to and see if things improve or get worse with each tweak.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Actually what you are experiencing is the stiffer rear spring pushing a bunch of extra weight to the front suspension making it work harder IMO or the settings on the Fox are way off also causing weight transfer issues. :rolleyes:

Set Sag front and rear(as the rear spring should also effect front) back off all the way on rear Comp. and adjust rebound first. You really want fairly quick rebound without letting it bounce back up, maybe a second delay. Then adjust the comp.

You might have to jack it some extra front preload to help deflect some of the rear transfur, but stiffer fork springs are the min. way to go. For that rear spring I would look at .85 or .90kg fork springs.

• Member Contributer
Actually what you are experiencing is the stiffer rear spring pushing a bunch of extra weight to the front suspension making it work harder IMO or the settings on the Fox are way off also causing weight transfer issues. :unsure:

Set Sag front and rear(as the rear spring should also effect front) back off all the way on rear Comp. and adjust rebound first. You really want fairly quick rebound without letting it bounce back up, maybe a second delay. Then adjust the comp.

You might have to jack it some extra front preload to help deflect some of the rear transfur, but stiffer fork springs are the min. way to go. For that rear spring I would look at .85 or .90kg fork springs.

Thanks for the info!

I'll do sag this weekend. I am also getting ready to order some springs and fork oil. I don't think my oil has ever been changed since new.

What weight oil do you recommend? We seem to be the same weight (190)

I will get the .90kg springs.

Also, which knobs control rebound and compression on the Fox shock?

The red knob on the remore can that has 8 notches is compression?

The blue collar on the bottom of the shock seems to be turning indefinately in either direction. How do I know how where it is and which way to increase/decrease?

Sorry for fludidng you with silly questions :goofy:

Actually what you are experiencing is the stiffer rear spring pushing a bunch of extra weight to the front suspension making it work harder IMO or the settings on the Fox are way off also causing weight transfer issues. :unsure:

Thanks for the info!

I'll do sag this weekend. I am also getting ready to order some springs and fork oil. I don't think my oil has ever been changed since new.

What weight oil do you recommend? We seem to be the same weight (190)

I will get the .90kg springs.

Also, which knobs control rebound and compression on the Fox shock?

The red knob on the remore can that has 8 notches is compression?

The blue collar on the bottom of the shock seems to be turning indefinately in either direction. How do I know how where it is and which way to increase/decrease?

Sorry for fludidng you with silly questions :rolleyes:

Aftershocks built my forks and I don't know what weight oil they used, but they did use Ohlins oil. He said it last longer than many other brands. The weight of oil used can also depend on if you have revalved the forks or just using stock valving.

You are correct that the red knob is Comp. and the blue (on the bottom of the shaft) is rebound. On a Fox the rebound will bottom out at full stiff turning it clockwise, turning CCW you will feel it drop tension somewhere between 20-30 clicks out(full soft).

• Member Contributer
Aftershocks built my forks and I don't know what weight oil they used, but they did use Ohlins oil. He said it last longer than many other brands. The weight of oil used can also depend on if you have revalved the forks or just using stock valving.

You are correct that the red knob is Comp. and the blue (on the bottom of the shaft) is rebound. On a Fox the rebound will bottom out at full stiff turning it clockwise, turning CCW you will feel it drop tension somewhere between 20-30 clicks out(full soft).

Yeah, Ohlins must think the same thing considering how much they charge for the fluid.

You have the rebound backwards - as looking down from above with the shock installed CCW is hard and CW is soft. I doubt you'd get 30 clicks out of it, somewhere around 20 is max.

Yeah, Ohlins must think the same thing considering how much they charge for the fluid.

You have the rebound backwards - as looking down from above with the shock installed CCW is hard and CW is soft. I doubt you'd get 30 clicks out of it, somewhere around 20 is max.

That's like saying that RH threads turn left because if you stand in China and look through the Earth to the USA you would turn it the opposite direction! :rolleyes:

I've always approached determining CW/CCW direction from whatever end of the devise I have to be on to turn it and in this case that's from the bottom! :P But that's just me! :unsure:

Archived