Chatter Box Or,,,

cruzinaz

• Member Contributer

Looking for a cheap bike to bike communication system, 2-4 close riders, but I don't want to give up my mp3, I did look thru some old posts, from 06, seems the chatterbox was a favorite but is there anything new out there?

• Member Contributer

Autocom and Baehr. The Baehr is more expensive than the Autocom. I had a Chatterbox for about three weeks last year. It did not work above 50mph or so. I am scheming for an Autocom system now. :thumbsup: "Safety Upgrade."

Agree with Carver, tried a chatterbox twice... did not learn the first time :goofy: went with a Autocom system and it has been flawless!! works even at high

speeds.... not that I would ever exceed the legal limits :D Save your farkle money and only buy once!!! trust me it's worth the xtra money!!

No complaints with chatter box here. Always treated me good. Haven't really used it much with bike to bike, primarily driver to passenger, but does what I want it for fine. :thumbsup: Haven't had experience with anything else to compare.

• Member Contributer

Collett Communicators! Collett Electronics

For the money, they can't be beat. :thumbsup: I've had mine for 5 years now. They have seen heavy rain, serious heat, and one wreck and are still going strong. The work well even at interstate speeds. Only downside (and maybe they have changed this) is that audio inputs (ie mp3, etc.) are not in stereo. The music sounds okay but its not great by any means.

Only caution on the autocom is it may not work perfectly for more than 2 riders. My brother rigged his up to connect 3 of us; each of us could communicate with him clearly, but could barely hear the third person.

Don't know if there's a solution for that?

It did not work above 50mph or so.

My riding group uses Chatterboxes and we have good success. However, you need to flip for the noise reducing headsets to be able to talk a highway speeds. It is an accessory that does not come with the unit. So if you consider this system, your real cost should include the noise reducing headset to be fair.

I use mine for music as well (MP3 or XM). Not concert quality by an means, but there's better places to compare Chopin and Mozart than on a motorcycle.

Not a fan of Chatterbox stuff at all ! <_<

Had their Best of everything including X-1's, NR headsets, etc. and they were mostly worthless for my only 7 day Touring trip.

Junk IMO and not to thrilled about their CS either.

Nuff said! :P

• Member Contributer
Collett Communicators! Collett Electronics

For the money, they can't be beat. :thumbsup: I've had mine for 5 years now. They have seen heavy rain, serious heat, and one wreck and are still going strong. The work well even at interstate speeds. Only downside (and maybe they have changed this) is that audio inputs (ie mp3, etc.) are not in stereo. The music sounds okay but its not great by any means.

We've had Colletts for 4 years, both bike to bike and rider to passenger......use em' on longer trips and have worked great. Had a power wire go bad about 2 years after we bought em', called "Erma" and she sent me a new one free of charge. We were well past the warranty. Seems like a real good product and real fine folks.................... :thumbsup: :beer:

Guest Wingspan

My biggest complaint about the Chatterbox is the cheesy plastic clips they supply to mount the unit to the helmet. Mine broke and went AWOL somewhere along the highway last year. Otherwise, they work fine so long as you use the PTT button and not the VOX.

• Member Contributer

I have no experience with Collett but have heard tyhings about them from relatives in Michigan. Collett started as a snow mobile accessory company I belive.

• Member Contributer
I have no experience with Collett but have heard tyhings about them from relatives in Michigan. Collett started as a snow mobile accessory company I belive.

Yep, the owner and his friends rode snow mobiles and one of them drove into a steel barrier because he didn't know the road was closed and they couldn't warn him when he passed them. The owner was an electrical engineer and set out to design a communication system. They are a manufacturing company and make radios, etc. for other companies, so their products are made in-house.....my phone dealings with them have always been great.......................... :thumbsup:

Stop the presses, Gadget junky has news on the Chatterbox.

They were working on an very expensive bluetooth system but it kept getting delayed. I just bought a X2 for about $200 and I'm happy with it, but the wires to the helmet are an issue, so of course they just announce this:

x1 Bluetooth edition

it still is about twice what I paid for the X2 ($399.00 suggested retail) and might be found for cheaper on the web, and will be available June 2007.

it says you can pair 2 bluetooth devices to it, phone and mp3 or gps and of course I have all three with bluetooh options (Rider, Treo and adapter for ipod).

There isn't much details about it yet, like:

Will it still have the Audio-Aux inputs along with the 2 bluetooth or will they replace those inputs?

What will the GMRS and bluetooth radios do to the battery life?

Will chatterbox offer bluetooth audio adapters too?

I see one on these in my future but since I just got the x2 I will have to wait sad.gif

• Member Contributer
cheap communication......?

2 dixie cups and 10 feet of string. Worked when we were kids..... :goofy:

:lol: now thats funny, thanx for the laugh :lol:

Archived