Deciphering Shock Spring Rate

jstanwood

• Member Contributer

While I had my new shock out of the bike this past weekend, I remembered to write down the numbers that were printed on the coil. I'm just wondering what rate I have now. The numbers are 59/59-200-150. Has anyone found a place to look these up?

TIA

• Forum CEO

NO! but if you measure the wire diameter, the diameter of the coil center to center ( as it fits around the shock body), and the number of coils. You can figure it out!

http://guzzitech.com/springrate.html

Thanks Miguel. I'll have to take the dang thing apart again to measure it.

BR, didn't you have some way to look these up?

If it was an Ohlins spring, yes. Can't you contact Weber or whoever you bought it from for their secret info? :wacko:

• Member Contributer

If it was an Ohlins spring, yes. Can't you contact Weber or whoever you bought it from for their secret info? :wacko:

I thought that was a standard numbering system. I'll bet not every shock company makes their own springs.

I'll ask Wilbers again, but they seemed tight-lipped about that, or they didn't understand me.

Now that you mentioned Weber, though, I fell like grilling! :blink:

The numbers you provided were kind of confusing to me "59/59-200-150" ! I didn't recognize the code!

Ohlins is unique and reads something like 1098-79/190

The 1098-79 indicates spring length/coil spacing, etc. and the /190 is the spring rate in nm(newton meters)

190 nm = 19.3 kg which is 1082 lbs

Your spring could be saying 59mm for a 2 1/4" ID spring and if there also using nm it could be 200nm (20.3 kg/1139lbs) or

150nm (15.23/854lbs) which is basically stock ?

:wacko:

• Member Contributer
Now that you mentioned Weber, though, I fell like grilling! :wacko:

Weber?

toutes_pieces_detachees.jpg

• Member Contributer
While I had my new shock out of the bike this past weekend, I remembered to write down the numbers that were printed on the coil. I'm just wondering what rate I have now. The numbers are 59/59-200-150. Has anyone found a place to look these up?

That is sorta an Ohlins-ish-looking nomenclature. I'll take a wild guess:

59 = Ohlins code for 15.29 Kg/mm, or 857lbs/in rate.

150 = length in mm, 5.9 inches.

200 = ?

OTOH, if this spring is on a Wilber's specifically made for a gen4, 15Kg/mm seems light.

From what I've seen Wilber's come sprung relatively stiff among the brands. BR could be right on with 20Kg/mm.

I'll try to upload a copy of the secret Spider-Man Ohlins decoder ring to my gallery later.

• Member Contributer
The numbers you provided were kind of confusing to me "59/59-200-150" ! I didn't recognize the code!

Ohlins is unique and reads something like 1098-79/190

The 1098-79 indicates spring length/coil spacing, etc. and the /190 is the spring rate in nm(newton meters)

190 nm = 19.3 kg which is 1082 lbs

Your spring could be saying 59mm for a 2 1/4" ID spring and if there also using nm it could be 200nm (20.3 kg/1139lbs) or

150nm (15.23/854lbs) which is basically stock ?

:unsure:

The numbers confused me, too.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion, though. Your logic makes sense. I'm still going to try to get the rate from Wilbers, and then we can compare notes. I'll bet the springs are made by Progressive or Hyperpro and just powder-coated accordingly. It would not surprise me if Ohlins made their own, though.

I did lose some weight (down to 165-170 lbs), but I still weigh more than Honda's magical 40 lb test rider. :rolleyes: I might actually be getting close to the stock setup now. Still, my original shock had 25k miles on it, and rode like crap. This one feels way better. No more badonka-donk (sp?) mid-corner!

• Member Contributer
Weber?

Nope, this Weber:

(Linked from their site.)

Now that I mentioned spider-man I feel like webbing.

• Forum CEO

nonsense, take it apart? Not at all if you have calipers you just measure the outside diameter, the diameter of the wire, count the coils and thats all you need, you might scrape a knuckle doing it but you dont have to remove it. take the outside diameter and subtract the wire diameter to give you the center to center diameter = all the measurements you need.

gallery_4773_2719_233727.jpg

Ohlins Chart

Now decipher the chart! The Rate table is easy, what's the rest saying???

They don't even list the 1098 they sold me!

What are the blue column numbers and everything in between??

• Member Contributer
Now decipher the chart! The Rate table is easy, what's the rest saying???

They don't even list the 1098 they sold me!

What are the blue column numbers and everything in between??

Blue row & column are the codes.

The 4 digit number corresponds to the length.

1093 = 150mm /5.9"

1091 = 160mm /6.3"

1092 = 170mm /6.7"

1095 = 180mm /7.1"

1096 = 190mm /7.5"

The 2 digit number indicates the rate.

Are you sure the 1098 isn't actually "1093"?

1093-79/190:

1093 = 5.9 inch length

-79 = 1085 lbs/in rate

190 = 190 N/mm

Sometimes there's also a lot number that doesn't really mean anything.

I have no idea what the numbers in the main body of the chart mean. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

nonsense, take it apart? Not at all if you have calipers you just measure the outside diameter, the diameter of the wire, count the coils and thats all you need, you might scrape a knuckle doing it but you dont have to remove it. take the outside diameter and subtract the wire diameter to give you the center to center diameter = all the measurements you need.

For some reason, I pictured you on a mountain top pointing a wand and saying, "NONSENSE!" :lol:

There you go getting logical on me. I know I'm going to have the shock out again soon, so that will make the measuring easier. I might have to "flex" hours today and go ride anyway, so I'll try reaching in there if I can.

I have a feeling I have a stock rate spring, or maybe the next range up, like the 175-200lb rider range.

Ohlins Chart

Thanks for posting that. I think Kevin is on the right track with his old guy logic. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer
For some reason, I pictured you on a mountain top pointing a wand and saying, "NONSENSE!" :lol:

gallery_4773_2719_39618.jpg

Are you sure the 1098 isn't actually "1093"?

1093-79/190:

1093 = 5.9 inch length

-79 = 1085 lbs/in rate

190 = 190 N/mm

Sometimes there's also a lot number that doesn't really mean anything.

I have no idea what the numbers in the main body of the chart mean. :unsure:

Got me, I must not have had my reading glasses when I read the Ohlins invoice! :rolleyes:

Duh, It is a 1093!!!!!!!!!!!! as you say! :huh:

Archived