Avon

Jon28

Anyone own a set of Avon's and actually used their road hazard warranty? After my last incident I am considering them for my next set.....and I'm sure they do it on a very pro-rated basis...but hell if you get a nail in your tire with only 500miles it would be worth it, even if they cost a bit more than the others. Anyone?

• Member Contributer
Thought it was only valid in the UK?

Not just in the UK, its valid in Canada and in the US.

It is very hard to use it though.

To be able to claim a new tire, you need to fall within a certain wear range. Typically a few milimeters. Also, make sure you still have your receipts.

Call your dealer, if they are not aware of the program, press them to call their supplier.

It is definitly worth a shot.

My understanding (from my mechanic you has used the program w/ success) is Avon replaces the tire if you get a nail or whatever in the 1st 100 miles. I don't know what happens at the 101 mile point. He was able to get a replacement that appeared to wear too fast but that may have been a favor to a dealer. :shrug:

• Member Contributer

I got to experience this just prior to my road trip last August. I had taken my rim to my dealer and had the tire mounted and balanced. Put it on the bike when I got home and made a short ride to scrub it in a little. A day or two later it was flat and I didn't see anything in the tire so I aired it up again. Couple of days later, same story. My son was there and we got to checking and there was a sliver of metal protruding from the middle of one of the grooves, the thinnest section of the tire. This looked like something that might have come from using a grinder on a weld. Very small but razor sharp.

We found a contact for Avon and they had to measure the tread thickness. I don't believe there is a time or mileage limit but the 100% replacement, which I got, is based on remaining tread thickness. And you have to send the defective tire back to Avon. It took a couple of phone calls and a fax and their rep was excellent to work with. I think they were located on the West coast, seems like it was WA. or ORE.

They sent me a brand new tire and it was only a day or two. And the tires really perform well.

I've had two punctures in Avons within a few weeks of having them put on. They don't have the warranty here, but the guy I buy them from gives me a free lifetime puncture repair on them, and alos offers a 1000km/1 month free trial period: if you don't like them, he'll replace them with something else.

I think I might need to get some Avon Storms fitted soon. The weather turned cooler and wetter last night (14C) and the Azaros were a bit slippy this morning. I think they've about done their heat cycle lifetimes.

• Member Contributer

Sounds to me like their warranty has nothing to do with influencing a decision to buy the tire...at least not to me. One of these days though, I'm going to try some Avons. Curiosity kills my cats.

My happiest tyres were Avon Azaros (not Azaro II which I think may have had inferior wet weather performance). 8000km out of a pair (2000 more than any other I've used) and consistent handling right up to replacement (unlike any others I've used esp. Metzelers).

• Member Contributer

i bought a spare set of wheels for my bike. they arrived with a used set of avon azaro av50 sp. they looked pretty good so i did my track day on them. i was very impressed so when the rear needed replacing i found out this tire is not made anymore. answer...Ebay $100 new. i have a set of PP on the bike now with powered coated wheels so the avons are my backups. i don't ride in the wet or very cold so i have no info there. :thumbsup:

My friend just bought a pair of Avons' and he doesn't even know...go figure! I will ask next time I need to buy tires and make sure it's in writing!

Archived