Michelin Mix'n Match

Guest ElementalG20

Guest ElementalG20

My rear pilot road is shot, and I'm looking to replace it with something a little stickier and willing to give up some mileage for it, I'd like to see 5k or so out the the power w/ no track time I hope. The front is the pilot road that's still in pretty good shape, how, or is it important to make certain I've got a matched set? If it is, I'll go ahead and order a new set of the powers, or perhaps metzler M3's, but if it's not I'll throw on a new Pilot power and call it a day.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I would get a full set of Powers. You probably will not get 5K miles out of them, but for how much better they are I doubt you will really care.

• Member Contributer
I would get a full set of Powers. You probably will not get 5K miles out of them, but for how much better they are I doubt you will really care.

..... :thumbsup:

I used to run power front and road rear, but changed to power rear a few tyres ago, and would never go back to a pilot road.

But I may try a new Pilot Road 2CT (dual compound) when they finally get to Oz in a few months...

Perhaps I'll just replace both the front and rear pilot roads, the front has some miles on it, it's just not shot yet. Safter to replace it than be sorry. I'm debating on spending $234 for a pair of pilot powers, or $265 for a pair of the Power CT's, I cant help but wonder if the dual compound would last a little longer, for $30 it's worth the money as long as you gain either performance or tire life.

Perhaps I'll just replace both the front and rear pilot roads, the front has some miles on it, it's just not shot yet. Safter to replace it than be sorry. I'm debating on spending $234 for a pair of pilot powers, or $265 for a pair of the Power CT's, I cant help but wonder if the dual compound would last a little longer, for $30 it's worth the money as long as you gain either performance or tire life.

Compared to what we pay Down Under (and allowing for the exchange rate) those prices are an absolute bargain!

I've run PP front and PR rear in the past but would not go back to it.

• Member Contributer

Pilot Power 2CT's won't last any longer than regular Powers. They have regular Pilot Power rubber in the center and an even softer compound on the edges. Pilot Road 2CT's would last longer than regular Powers, but we can't get them yet. They have something similar to Pilot Road rubber in the center and Pilot Power rubber on the edges.

• Member Contributer

The 2CTs won't last any longer. They are the same compound as regular powers in the center and softer on the sides. You can do either one, but you will still be extremely happy on the regular Powers.

• Member Contributer

The 2CTs won't last any longer. They are the same compound as regular powers in the center and softer on the sides. You can do either one, but you will still be extremely happy on the regular Powers.

Again............. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

I am going to jump on top of the pile here and say once you go Power, you never go back! Awesome tires. I just road another 200 miles on HWY 1 today, and although the tires are at the wear bars in back, they still worked great.

I have heard that once they go out, they are useless. I am still waiting for this to happen! Never had a weird moment with these tires. Even sliding they work great. Had the front step out before on sand, but it hooks right back up. Really confidence inspiring. I am certainly no Nicky, but I ride them pretty hard. Love 'em. Don't even want to try anything else.

Now, time to pony up some cash for new ones! :unsure:

• Member Contributer
I am going to jump on top of the pile here and say once you go Power, you never go back! Awesome tires. I just road another 200 miles on HWY 1 today, and although the tires are at the wear bars in back, they still worked great.

I have heard that once they go out, they are useless. I am still waiting for this to happen! Never had a weird moment with these tires. Even sliding they work great. Had the front step out before on sand, but it hooks right back up. Really confidence inspiring. I am certainly no Nicky, but I ride them pretty hard. Love 'em. Don't even want to try anything else.

Now, time to pony up some cash for new ones! :unsure:

They never really go out unless you overheat them, or you wear out all the tread pattern and run them in the wet.

• Member Contributer

Well, I'm planning on taking the plunge and picking up a set of Powers. The OEM tyres on my '04 (bought in '05) are done. Once they get here to CA from MA at the end of the month, I've got less than 1k miles on teh flat spot....

Anybody know of any good deals going on Powers?

-VFRnGTP

Archived