Fox Twin-clicker Shock Rebuild?

Guest Pegasus

Guest Pegasus

Greetings fellow vifferisti,

With my '87 down for some off-season servicing, I decided to tackle fitment of a CBR-F3 Fox TC shock to the rear of my bike. I had no luck sourcing a suitable lower clevis mount, so resorted to crudely fab'ing up one of my own. It took a couple of attempts, but I finally had a clevis mount that was short enough to maintain an overall shock length that wouldn't result in an over-the-top rear ride height. Imagine my dismay when I fitted up the shock for a test fit and realized that it had absolutely no rebound damping whatsoever. :pissed: I suppose it may have been a bit much to ask that a shock of unknown origin (ebay purchase) thats been sitting for a few years might not at least need a basic service or rebuild, but I was being optimistic (or ignorant, if you'd rather :goofy: )

After removal, closer inspection showed that I am able to move (by hand) the remote reservoir cap (where the hose threads in) up and down within the reservoir bore, meaning that any nitrogen gas charge has long since escaped. I've also noticed that the rebound adjustment knob on the bottom of the shock threads up and down through its full range of adjustment without any audible notches or "clicks"!. I'm assuming that this is abnormal and all of the above means that the shock needs to be serviced, if not rebuilt. Can any other Fox shock owners verify this? I'm also assuming that it might be too much to ask to get by with a simple nitrogen recharge?

I've heard of people servicing these rebuildable shocks themselves, but I'm guessing it usually requires know-how and a well equipped shop (of which, sadly, I have neither :goofy: ). I also know Fox used to sell rebuild kits - anybody know where I can source either this kit, or the parts I would need to have someone rebuild it? I have contacted Fox itself, but I'm still waiting on a response.

As you can tell, I've assumed a lot, but know very little - so I've come to VFRD for enlightenment and guidance :thumbsup: Can anybody recommend a reasonably priced shop for a Fox Shock rebuild (LE, traxxion etc...?) Even better, is there a reputable shop local to D.C. that might be able to handle the work. If I do have to have the shock sent out for service, I might even be convinced to have the thing revalved to suit me and the VFR. Again, any suggestions here?

Thanks all for any experiences and recommendations you can offer.

Sean

• Member Contributer

"You callin' the Fox? ....That's all you had to say!"

Ok, on a more serious note, I would just contact Jamie Daugherty. He's a member here, and has helped other members with shocks for all gens of VFR. Here's his page He's not local to you, but I hope that doesn't matter too much.

"You callin' the Fox? ....That's all you had to say!"

Ok, on a more serious note, I would just contact Jamie Daugherty. He's a member here, and has helped other members with shocks for all gens of VFR. Here's his page He's not local to you, but I hope that doesn't matter too much.

Thanks for the reminder :thumbsup: I've been to Jamie's site, and know he's done cool things for VF's, but didn't realize he serviced other makes of shocks. I'll send him and email and see what he has to offer.

I have a Fox Twin Clicker on my 87 CBR 600. You are correct about the rebound knob. Not having detents is an indication that you've lost the nitrogen charge. I once tried just having it recharged, without a rebuild, but it didn't not produced favorable results. I've never had the remote reservoir cap get loose though.

I have ordered the rebuild kits directly from Fox, they were reasonably priced, around $20 iirc. They also come with complete instructions on how to rebuild and set-up the rebound and dampening. I will look for the number when I get home.

Mike Fitzgerald from Thermosman suspension just rebuilt and revalved my Ohlins on the track bike... $150, plus a spring, turned around in a week, and I couldn't have been happier. Probably only a saw buck to refresh the oil and charge.

• Member Contributer

Sure man, I rebuild a lot of Fox shocks. I've even put together my kit that includes all of the seals needed to rebuild the shock. The parts cost less than $10 (Fox charges over $30?) and I usually just throw them in as needed. The charge for a typical rebuild is $50. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!

Sure man, I rebuild a lot of Fox shocks. I've even put together my kit that includes all of the seals needed to rebuild the shock. The parts cost less than $10 (Fox charges over $30?) and I usually just throw them in as needed. The charge for a typical rebuild is $50. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!

Jamie, I have a CBR-F2 TC that I bought for my VTEC, I might just have you take a look at it, I don't know the history on it...

Archived