I Am Pairless

Guest Maico_996

Question

Guest Maico_996

Today after carefull reading and researching I did it!!! I got the Pair out. I held it up like a "Predator" with the spine in his hand. MUAHAHA HA HA... Ehem.. Sorry. It was not hard at all. Well... the tank is off my bike and that made it blissfully easy. Access to the front head was gained by moving the airbox out the way. I used some rubber caps and zip ties and done. Now, I am confused with the two lines that come from the front of the tank. There are two lines, a thick and a thin one. The previous owner beat me to getting rid of the charcoal can so both were unpluged. Problem is one should be filtered since it sucks air into the tank. I live in the desert and dust is bad here. I want to filter the hose but witch one? Also, should the intake hose (used to be the charcoal can I suppose) run all the way down to the bottom f the bike or can I put a little filter on it right below the tank?

There are two valves left on the airbox The one near the front right has the hose for the flapper. What do I do with the hoses coming from below it? I allready disconnected the flapper valve and plugged it. The valve in the rear has a hose coming from the bottom. This valve was also the electrical connection to the PAIR. What is the hose and do I just plug it? I would rather eliminate it at the source to keep things tidy. I want to loose the two valves but I am proceeding with caution. :goofy:

Let me just say this is a great forum. I have acomplished so much with my "new to me" bike. I am learning loads.

Thanks Posters :thumbsup:

Maico

11 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

No need to filter the air vent for the tank, it is not sucking air in, just keeping it at equal pressure. Wind would have to blow dust all the way up the tube for it to get into the tank.

The valve in the front of the airbox for the flapper: disconnect everything from it, and the vac hose going to it, plug it, or cut it off under the airbox and plug it there.

The air hose running from the back left of the airbox to the PAIR valve needs to be plugged. I stuck a large rubber cap over the opening on the airbox.

• Member Contributer
ok, I'll ask you since no-one else will tell me!!

Do the caps get hot, any chance of going melty? Cant help with what to block where, but theres another thread in here somewhere with a great piccy:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...984&hl=PAIR

I bought a set of PAIR block-off plates and installed them this past weekend. When I pulled the original PAIR covers I looked at the rubber caps which had been on for a little over a year, they were okay and showed no signs of heat damage.

ok, I'll ask you since no-one else will tell me!!

Do the caps get hot, any chance of going melty? Cant help with what to block where, but theres another thread in here somewhere with a great piccy:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...984&hl=PAIR

The rubber caps did not melt and neither did the rubber hoses..... Sorry, I could not resist. I would however like to get the block off plates. They are just cool.

Jeremy Thanks Dude. I did block off the PAIR behind the airbox of course. Good advice. I will go for that.

Ahh, yes of course the caps and the hoses are made of rubber, but are they the same magical heat resistant rubber wink.gif

Thanks for the answer, I guess thats why no-one answered in the other 2 threads !!

The Pairless performance was excellent. So much so, that I wished I had done it when I first got the bike. There is no "step" going to the VTEC. The bike just goes. I had a rather spirited ride since my painter held my baby hostage for over a week. But what a great feeling bike it is now.

The Pairless performance was excellent. So much so, that I wished I had done it when I first got the bike. There is no "step" going to the VTEC. The bike just goes. I had a rather spirited ride since my painter held my baby hostage for over a week. But what a great feeling bike it is now.

Is there a step by step guide to doing this and is it really that much of a different feeling bike?

I just disconnected the PAIR valve, i didn't notice too much of a difference, as i already had a pretty smooth VTEC transition. I don't know how it can make THAT much of a difference as the way i have read, it just adds clean air into the exhaust. Is this correct? that is already after the combustion process so it shouldn't matter. Am i wrong?

You can also combine the PAIR mod with the crankcase breather mod.

Simply fit a Tee inbetween your PAIR valve hoses, where they used to connect to the PAIR valve, and the center of the Tee will then connect to the crankcase breather hose. (which will no longer run into the airbox) Plug all unused openings in the airbox and Bob's you uncle!

It uses the exhaust scavenging to lower your crankcase pressure and frees up fractional horsepower.

It's the same illegal mod that the Jordan Suzuki boys got busted for in AMA.

interesting, might have to try this. Any idea what diameter that tubing is? 1/2" 3/4"? i don't remember

No, you'll have to look at your PAIR hoses that you removed along with the pump, and scope out the crankcase vent line where it attaches to the airbox to see the hose sizes.

Sry.

Archived