Dual Compound Tires

Alien VFR

• Member Contributer

I'm soon going to be doing many, many miles in Florida. That means pretty much no leaning. So I'm looking for a rear tire that has a dual compound. The reason I want this type of tire is that I'll be putting on a bunch of straight line miles, but I'll eventually be coming back to the twisties of Pa, so I'm going to want somewhat grippier rubber for that.

I had a dual compound on my TL1000R, and it performed well, but I don't remember the brand, and I know that particular tire model no longer made.

So, as a head start on my search for a new tire, can you guys post up with the brands that make such a tire? Brands and specifics are appreciated as are personal reccomendations.

Thanks...

• Member Contributer

Check out the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT. They just came out for this year. The tire has a "sport-touring" compound down the center and the sides are "sport". They'll probably be my next tire being that I commute almost daily but also enjoy these NC roads.

• Member Contributer

err, the power 2ct is more of a sport/soft sport type dual compound. now rumer has it that there is going to be a a pilot "road" dual compound. But those dont look to be released here in the US till the fall!

err, the power 2ct is more of a sport/soft sport type dual compound. now rumer has it that there is going to be a a pilot "road" dual compound. But those dont look to be released here in the US till the fall!

Some info on the new dual compound Power Road 2 from MCN.

Dave

• Member Contributer

Check out the Dunlop website. I've had great results out of the 220's since I do a lot of commuting as well as twisties. I believe they make several dual compound varieties and the site includes a decent decription of each model. The 220 is fairly hard in the center with a softer compound along the sides. The only time I've had a problem with them is below about 50 degrees in the wet. Since that isn't my prime riding environment, it really only affects me on occasion. I'm on my third set now.

I would highly recommend you take a good look at Avon sport touring tires, like the AV45/46 or the new Storm tires. They worked really well for me on my cross-country trip; I got 8000 miles out of the rear, and had no problems running the Dragon, Tennessee backroads, or any of the twisty mountain roads I came across. They're reasonably priced, too :thumbsup:

Edit: I've had good experiences with the D220's also, but the Avons are better IMO.

• Member Contributer

Sebspeed, I've been tempted by the Avon's but don't know much about them. Good to hear you like 'em but my dealership always gets me the 220's mounted for just over $200 so I seem to stick with those. They always have the "Buy the rear - get the front free" deal and I just take them the wheels already removed from the bike. Maybe I'll try the Avons next just for kicks.

I would highly recommend you take a good look at Avon sport touring tires, like the AV45/46 or the new Storm tires.

My buddy runs Avons and loves them. I'm thinking of giving them a shot next time around. Everyone that I've heard thats ran them have nothing but good things to say about them.

I would highly recommend you take a good look at Avon sport touring tires, like the AV45/46 or the new Storm tires.

My buddy runs Avons and loves them. I'm thinking of giving them a shot next time around. Everyone that I've heard thats ran them have nothing but good things to say about them.

Sebspeed, I've been tempted by the Avon's but don't know much about them. Good to hear you like 'em but my dealership always gets me the 220's mounted for just over $200 so I seem to stick with those. They always have the "Buy the rear - get the front free" deal and I just take them the wheels already removed from the bike. Maybe I'll try the Avons next just for kicks.

Go for it! I think I paid about $220 for my last set, after doing some comparison shopping.

A mag out of Europe (TWO) I believe is testing out the new Bridgestone BT021 and has had very good things to say so far. Hard middle for longevity and soft sides for sport tire stick. Get em at SW Moto Tire. More than likely, this will be the next set I try.

Archived