Wilbers On 5th Gen

wera803

Just wanted to post some pictures of the new Wilbers shock on my 5th gen with Corbin Beetle Bags. I know jstanwood has a topic going for his 4th gen installation and I didn't want to take it over with 5th gen stuff.

First thing was to figure out which way the shock mounted in the bike. The instructions didn't say anything besides to mount the remote reservoir and pre-load adjuster on the right side of the bike. First off I tried the hoses exiting the right side (you'd think the hoses would go the same direction as where they were supposed to be mounted). The pre-load adjuster hose touched the exhaust though, so I had to turn it around so everything exited the left side of the bike.

med_gallery_1859_551_267476.jpg

The hoses then had to run across the bike to the right side.

med_gallery_1859_551_306386.jpg

Wilbers sent an aluminum bracket to mount the reservoir and remote pre-load adjuster on the right side of the bike off the passenger peg. This would have been fine, but it put the whole assembly right where the Corbin bag had to go. After messing around with it for a while, I decided to try the bracket the opposite way (facing forward). This picture doesn't show it, but I did have to trim some (about 1/2") of the bracket on the left side to clear the Beetle Bag mounting bracket. I also moved the clamps around so the tightening screws were on the backside of the reservoir.

med_gallery_1859_551_153528.jpg

As you can see here, the pre-load adjuster is a little more difficult to get to than it should be, but hopefully it won't need to be adjust all that much.

med_gallery_1859_551_371901.jpg

med_gallery_1859_551_642832.jpg

Here's a picture with the bag on.

med_gallery_1859_551_108371.jpg

I was worried a little about tire clearance with the hose, so I zip-tied it as snug to the reservoir as I could. After putting the bag back on, it looks like I should be just fine. The bag is actually closer.

med_gallery_1859_551_507544.jpg

Here's the finished product. Like I said the pre-load adjuster is a little tough to get to, but as long as the exhaust isn't hot, you can get your hand under the passenger peg and twist the adjuster. The low & high speed dampening adjustment is easy to get to, so at some point, I may mess around with the pre-load adjuster again to see if there is a better spot to put it. Now the only real concern is changing the rear tire. I know I have to take the bag off and move the exhaust out of the way. Hopefully the pre-load adjuster and reservoir can stay where it is and not be in the way.

med_gallery_1859_551_212585.jpg

wera803,

Thanks for the write-up. I have the same Corbin bags on my 5th gen and was concerned with clearance issues for remote resevoirs/adjusters on aftermarket shocks. I'll be going with a Penske Sport shock sans reservoir this winter.

Regards,

VFR_ATL

I'm sure if you took your time you'd find a better position for the preload adjuster. So, do I understand rightly in that the tubes leave the shock heading left but then twist back across to the right? Sounds complicated. Another thing, from what I've gathered from the other 4th gen. thread, lots of folk choose these remote reservoirs in order to avoid the higher temperatures and heat influence of the headers. If you've chosen these remote units for the same reason (perhaps it's just for ease of adjustment in your case), being so close to the exhaust would kinda defeat the purpose wouldn't it? Did you not consider mounting them on the left side of the bike? Or maybe one on the left and the other on the right?

Just curious as I'm considering buying the same shock. A triple-fucker deluxe in classic colours. :goofy:

By the way, nice pics.

I'm sure if you took your time you'd find a better position for the preload adjuster. So, do I understand rightly in that the tubes leave the shock heading left but then twist back across to the right? Sounds complicated. Another thing, from what I've gathered from the other 4th gen. thread, lots of folk choose these remote reservoirs in order to avoid the higher temperatures and heat influence of the headers. If you've chosen these remote units for the same reason (perhaps it's just for ease of adjustment in your case), being so close to the exhaust would kinda defeat the purpose wouldn't it? Did you not consider mounting them on the left side of the bike? Or maybe one on the left and the other on the right?

Just curious as I'm considering buying the same shock. A triple-fucker deluxe in classic colours. :goofy:

By the way, nice pics.

Yes, the hoses leave the left side, and then twist back to the right side of the bike. If I put them on the right side, the preload adjuster hose touched the exhaust header. I thought at first, it might just be a close fit, so I bolted the shock in place and verified it really did touch. I then had to drop it down and turn it around so it went out the left side.

Wilbers instructs you to mount on the right side of the bike. I looked on the left, but it was even more crowded (SS swingarm is big, Powerlet outlet, brake lines, etc. all get in the way on the left). Yes, one goal is to get it away from heat. I would think the side of the bike above the exhaust is going to be a lot cooler than in the center of the bike directly behind the engine. So although it may not be perfect, I suspect the heat will be a lot less in the remote location. The normal shock position is near the headers at their hottest point (coming out of the cylinders), by the time it gets to the side of the bike, I'm sure the exhaust temps have cooled several hundred degrees.

I think there are more options to mounting the parts if you could plan for it. Things such as hose length, hose outlet position, etc. is set from Wilbers and you can't really change any of it without loosing the system charge. If I could have only loosened the outlet of the reservoir and turned it 180 degrees, I would have had a couple of other mounting possibilities.

Cheers bud. I'll be learning from your experience. I've already started by asking Wilbers if they could organize the hoses to leave the main unit on the side and in the direction I specify and they said no probs. Their turn around time on the reply was impressive and the letter was not a prototype they have to cover all FAQs, some guy actually wrote it from scratch and went into quite some detail!!! That's good PR!! I'm impressed. Wish I had had things clearer sooner to get in on the discount.

• Member Contributer

+1.gif on Wilbers being a good bunch of boys and girls....

The instructions that came with the front springs were eh.... "leave a 170mm airpocket".

The Honda manual obviously doesnot cover this job so I phoned Wilbers.

The lady that answered the phone is NOT your stereotype receptionist but she talked me through the steps to take.

One thing though... the aluminium bracket you got with the rear shock? That must be a USA distributors add-on since she didnot know what I meant...

I WANT ONE!!!

One thing though... the aluminium bracket you got with the rear shock? That must be a USA distributors add-on since she didnot know what I meant...

I WANT ONE!!!

Download the picture I posted and e-mail it to them. Ask if they have something like it or can get one for you. :blink:

• Member Contributer
Download the picture I posted and e-mail it to them. Ask if they have something like it or can get one for you. :blink:

Done!

Will let you know what they reply....

• Member Contributer

Well, Wilbers Germany did come back to say that the bracket is supplied with shocks ordered for the VFR800's and not for prior years :wub:

Well, Wilbers Germany did come back to say that the bracket is supplied with shocks ordered for the VFR800's and not for prior years :huh:

So they won't sell you one for $10 either??

• Member Contributer
Well, Wilbers Germany did come back to say that the bracket is supplied with shocks ordered for the VFR800's and not for prior years :huh:

So they won't sell you one for $10 either??

$10?

They want the princely sum of equiv. $40 excluding freight and handling charge...... :pissed:

Thanks but no thanks....

$10?

They want the princely sum of equiv. $40 excluding freight and handling charge...... :beer:

Thanks but no thanks....

$40?? That's freaking crazy. They didn't have the correct sized slots for the mounting bolts. I had to enlarge those with a drill bit to fit my bike. I'd get some scrap metal and just make one. Know anyone that can lay a bead of weld on it for you?

• Member Contributer

Looks like a ripp-off then.....

The cannister is on the footpeg for now (I won't be doing a lot of miles for now; we expect some 4~6 inches of snow today)

Next step will be to find a shop that can chop my spare footpeg hanger and figure out how to transplant the lock (helmet holder/seat release).

If that doesnot give me a fitting position that pleases me, I will go the DIY bracket route.

• 2 months later...

Hey Dutchz Nutz, long time no see!! Well, I still haven't got around to ordering my new Wilbers front springs and rear triple-fucker rear shock. Firstly, and in way of diagnosing exactly where my current set-up is failing, and also in hope of any easy, economical solution, I've just changed the fork oil for Bel-Ray 10W (was going to go 15W due to our hot climate but was warned against it by HispanicSlammer who felt the ride would be too harsh and rigid and besides the real solution would be new springs in my opinion, based on the current feel of things.) Thanks for posting up the air-pocket Wilbers recommends as I was wondering that while changing the oil as I now have it confirmed, the free-spring length was 378 mm, and considering that 375 mm is the wear (compaction) limit for the spring when not under load, and the uppr limit is 382.7 mm, you could safely say that they're on their last legs.

I took her out for a run to see if all was in order after buttoning her back up. There is some difference and a slightly smoother effect is noted over repetitive bumps (better damping), the larger one-off bumps or bumps that are more spaced out between them, there's little improvement. Something that confirms the poor performance being due to the current free length of my springs at 378 mm and leads me to believe that the rear shock (which I've also tested to the limit by trying out all the positions of it's two adjustable actions and after a day or so it just goes back to doing SFA) is RIP. So, as soon as the next big check comes in... Wilbers here I come.

One thing I did notice is that I now get a slight handlebar wobble while decelerating (not braking) between 85 to 80 km/h. It's not dangerous and is not noticed if I'm holding the bars, but we shall have to wait and see if it worsens. Anyone any ideas as to why? I don't recall it happening before I changed the oil. I was quite careful to get the same oil height from the top of the fork on both sides. I did have a couple of milimeters more oil than the recommended height but that's apparently perfectly tolerable. Maybe it's the front wheel and I need to do the lossening-pinch-bolts-and-bouncing-front-end routine. Couldn't hurt to try.

So have you been able to try your Wilbers out yet Dutchy, or are you snowed in? Why don't you go the way of so many other Dutchmen and women and head on down here to the south of Spain. I can recommend it!!

• Member Contributer
So have you been able to try your Wilbers out yet Dutchy, or are you snowed in?

Olla Ozzie,

No, other than a quick to/fro the office a few times. did notice the handling improving vs the std OEM gear.

The weather is now mucho improvos so next weekend I'll be doing the proper dailing in/setting sag routine.

Too young to retire in the south of Spain just yet....

Cheers,

Dutchy

• Member Contributer
One thing I did notice is that I now get a slight handlebar wobble while decelerating (not braking) between 85 to 80 km/h. It's not dangerous and is not noticed if I'm holding the bars, but we shall have to wait and see if it worsens. Anyone any ideas as to why? I don't recall it happening before I changed the oil. I was quite careful to get the same oil height from the top of the fork on both sides. I did have a couple of milimeters more oil than the recommended height but that's apparently perfectly tolerable. Maybe it's the front wheel and I need to do the lossening-pinch-bolts-and-bouncing-front-end routine. Couldn't hurt to try.

Hola Ozzie,

The things you make be do.......

So I took the bike up to 90kmh, close the throttle and let go of the grips (keeping hands close). Sure enuf, at around 70kmh there is an ever so slight wobble. Nothing dramatic and it stops at 65. Never noticed before because I'm not in the habit doing "Nickies"

js31moto_narrowweb__300x425,0.jpg

(BOOHOOHOO, ROSSI IS WUPPING MY A$$ THIS 2007 SEASON)

:P

So now what?

Having double checked that both legs are at the same height in the clamps, the preloads turned in completely and turned out an exact equal amount of turns, the only things I can think of are:

start trial runs to see if increasing/reducing pre-load has an effect

increase tire pressure

have the front wheel re-balanced (was done 2,000km ago when the new front went on)

do SFA beause it is not noticeable under normal riding behavior

being the lazy bumm I am, I'll go for door # 4 please!!!

Time to scoff some chorizo.... :thumbsup:

Hola Ozzie,

js31moto_narrowweb__300x425,0.jpg

(BOOHOOHOO, ROSSI IS WUPPING MY A$$ THIS 2007 SEASON)

:P

My god what a cry-baby!!! I can just imagine it,,, "and on top of it all I just got my period" :unsure:

As far as the wobble, the only reason I'm pissed is because I KNOW it wasn't there before, as I'm prone to do all sorts of things like that (look mum no hands etc) on the run in order to get to know my bike better. Like I said, from 85 down to 80 km/h, unnoticeable with hands (even lightly) placed on the bars. Could be wheel balance, could be the wheel bearings, could be the steering head and/or bearings there, could be uneven wear on the tyre (I don't like my front rubber at all, it's developed a sort of fish-scale like wearing pattern, I don't know how to describe it, like steps, due to the tread pattern, I believe the model is famous for it, but it was already on the bike when I bought it, so I'll get the full wear out of it before changing over), could be the forks twisted a little. I did the simple alignment procedure of loosening pinch bolts and tightening them again in a certain order, bouncing the front end at a certain stage, etc. My 98er is very light in the cornering, in fact so light that when riding in a straight line, it's far too easy to initiate the inclination of the bike, so much so that there's a degree of side to side leaning over that takes place at the whim of the wind, like I was riding on tyres with v-shaped profiles. I'm constantly having to correct the phenomenon and must concentrate to keep the bike straight up and down, can't really relax enough to enjoy the ride sometimes. I can't recall the brand of tyre at the moment, it's either a Michelin or a Bridgestone.

Am I a hypochondriac?

• Member Contributer
Am I a hypochondriac?

This morning I had closer look at the speedo and the wobble occurs indeed at 85/80 as well................... (and around 70....)

The BT020 I have at the front is -as I learned on VFRD- notorious for cupping,

no not the Doube D's I'm afraid......

T B C

• Member Contributer
My god what a cry-baby!!! I can just imagine it,,, "and on top of it all I just got my period" :idea3:

LOL!! That is funny!

I think you need a new front tire! I bet the wobble goes away! :thumbsup:

My god what a cry-baby!!! I can just imagine it,,, "and on top of it all I just got my period" :unsure:

LOL!! That is funny!

Could be, but as I said, BEFORE I changed the fork oil, it didn't wobble, so why would it now if it was the tyre all along ¿Me entiendes?

• Member Contributer
My god what a cry-baby!!! I can just imagine it,,, "and on top of it all I just got my period" :idea3:

LOL!! That is funny!

Could be, but as I said, BEFORE I changed the fork oil, it didn't wobble, so why would it now if it was the tyre all along ¿Me entiendes?

Well, I'd say before it wobbled but you didn't feel it because it was soaked up by the softer suspension. Now that it is doing what it is supposed to do (give good feedback of what the front tire is doing) then it has become apparent. Make any sense?

LOL!! That is funny!

Well, I'd say before it wobbled but you didn't feel it because it was soaked up by the softer suspension. Now that it is doing what it is supposed to do (give good feedback of what the front tire is doing) then it has become apparent. Make any sense?

Hmmmmm, not sure. Can the wear on the front tyre cause said wobble at such a speed? Hmmm, I suppose anything's possible. I don't much LIKE the front tyre anyway. Not very confidence inspiring in the curves. I was hoping the fact it occurs between 85-80 while decelerating would be a very specific symptom with a very specific diagnosis. The wobble has never developed into a tank-slapper. I don't notice it at other speeds. I haven't discovered any other unusual behaviour. One thing I will say is that I don't notice any improvement at all in the suspensin system for having changed the fork oil. This thing is killing my spine!!

• Member Contributer
My god what a cry-baby!!! I can just imagine it,,, "and on top of it all I just got my period" :blink:

LOL!! That is funny!

Hmmmmm, not sure. Can the wear on the front tyre cause said wobble at such a speed? Hmmm, I suppose anything's possible. I don't much LIKE the front tyre anyway. Not very confidence inspiring in the curves. I was hoping the fact it occurs between 85-80 while decelerating would be a very specific symptom with a very specific diagnosis. The wobble has never developed into a tank-slapper. I don't notice it at other speeds. I haven't discovered any other unusual behaviour. One thing I will say is that I don't notice any improvement at all in the suspensin system for having changed the fork oil. This thing is killing my spine!!

Well, I have a Michelin on mine and it is ready to be replaced. It is just starting to get a slight decel wobble at about 60-70mph. My last tire wobbled on decel at just about ANY speed (Dunlop). Can't say for sure that it is not a symptom of another problem, but I don't think so!

I guess we'll see when you replace it!

LOL!! That is funny!

Well, I have a Michelin on mine and it is ready to be replaced. It is just starting to get a slight decel wobble at about 60-70mph. My last tire wobbled on decel at just about ANY speed (Dunlop). Can't say for sure that it is not a symptom of another problem, but I don't think so!

I guess we'll see when you replace it!

Cheers big ears!! :beer:

Archived