• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bigbear75

Dude, Looks Sweet. Although with the LED's, if you installa Load Equalizer

load_equalizer.jpg

from autolumination.com

It will slow down the flash rate. The Flasher send out more power then the LED's need so they flash fast cause too much juice.

Just a thought, looks great though. Good work

Edited by Bigbear75

load_equalizer.jpg

from autolumination.com

It will slow down the flash rate. The Flasher send out more power then the LED's need so they flash fast cause too much juice.

I noticed the fast flash rate as well. It might draw more attention - but the faster flash rate is actually NOT LEGAL. Flash rates are determined and set to a specific flash rate. Might draw attention from the local "Award Distribution" network....... :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Nice! Who needs air fresheners? :blink: "eau de cycle" (oh the cycle?) :thumbsup:

Ventilation system running. :thumbsup:

Love the video!! Damn those lit up extenders look great. Bike sounds awesome as well. :thumbsup:

Tanks!

load_equalizer.jpg

from autolumination.com

HA! Got you. It has an adjustable, that I put in the place of the stock flasher. Windscreen, off, all there is to do is pop the tabs out, on the dash cover, and the adjuster is right there.

100_2655.jpg

100_2657.jpg

"Anything worth do, is worth doing well"- Hunter S. Thompson

Still. Thanks for the concern. I had already questioned the forum, and did my homework. :thumbsup: But again, thanks for look'n out!!

This is why VFRD rules.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

--------------------CONTINUATION OF MOD---------------------------

Wahted, for 2 months for LEDS. Radioshack, (in this area), has not what I was look'n for. I ordered "Pilot" single Leds. (Singles). They are set-up for a 12v system, with resistors, in line, shrink wrapped, with 1.5' of wire. (Plug-n-go). What I got was some crap that had a micro chip, in line, up at the led. (wasn't going to fit).

So,.....I cut them up, slodered the wire directly to the led, and put the, "chip", in line, at the connector.

gallery_2922_262_249651.jpg

100_3734.JPG

The pic shows; 1) The leds in. 2) The double taped fairing, marked, pilot drilled, then drilled with a 3/8" drill. (Note how the placement of the hole is set more toward the back mounting hole. This matches the extender and provides clearance of the bracket, that supports the fairing, from underneath). 3) Plugged into the wireing harness. (Note: Be sure you have marked which line is you signal led, and your running light led). The colors to hook to are different on either side of the bike. An easy way to remember what's what, is this,.....Green is ground,(on the outside, of the plug. The middle wire, (regardless of color), is your rinning light, and the other outside wire is your flasher.

I twisted, folded, and soldered, the wire ends, then just pushed them into the back of the connector.

I DO NOT SUGGEST THIS MOD AS PRIMARY LIGHTING, ON 5th GEN., DE-DUMBO EARED, unless you come up with large leds, or parking light replacement leds.

The fact of the matter is they are of relative brightness, dusk till dawn, but direct sunlight, shine right through the acrylic, making the leds, not visable.

Here is a calculator to help, with brighter leds.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

Get creative, folks. There are countless ways you can configure these.

• Member Contributer

Rivcyko,

In appreciation and anticipation, I would like to ask (for the electrically inept like me) if you could add a quick little bit on the best

how and where to wire up the LED's. Ordered my set from Lobster and wanting to do the same set up.

The video was a great and really sets the front off nicely - anything for better visability without gaudy is aces!

Thanks again for the great ingenuity and offerings to the rest of us out here who glom off your creativity.

EDIT: uh, never mind and thanks for the above. I should have waited 1 more minute.

HA! Got you. It has an adjustable, that I put in the place of the stock flasher. Windscreen, off, all there is to do is pop the tabs out, on the dash cover, and the adjuster is right there.

Still. Thanks for the concern. I had already questioned the forum, and did my homework. :thumbsup: But again, thanks for look'n out!!

This is why VFRD rules.

Where did you get this flash rate adjuster? That could come in very useful when I change all of my turn signal lights to LEDs. Thanks!

BTW, great job on the mirror extenders!

• Member Contributer

This is why VFRD rules.

Where did you get this flash rate adjuster? That could come in very useful when I change all of my turn signal lights to LEDs. Thanks!

Thanx!

http://www.customdynamics.com/trick_flasher.htm

This is why VFRD rules.

Thanx!

http://www.customdynamics.com/trick_flasher.htm

Thanks! I just ordered an adjuster :thumbsup:

• 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Per extender thread;

Thanks for the link. That was before my time here on VFRD. I do really like the idea though. I was thinking about doing the mirrors with signals built in, but I like this idea better. I think I'll have to give it a try sometime soon. Unless I missed it in that link, i didn't see what kind of leds you used, or where they came from. Any extra info would be awesome! Thanks!

And thanks for the mirror extenders, Lobster. I bought an extra set for my friends' 6th gen and put them on as a surprise. He is super happy with them, and so am I. Altho, being super happy with them when its icy and 0 dergrees out involves sitting on our bikes in the garage making VROOOM VROOOM sounds and being able to see the garage door and not my elbows. :lol: Nice product!

I used "Street glow" brand singles. Resistor in line. (Didn't want to screw up and have them burn out, after a week). Not the brightest. More of a dusk to dawn accent, mod. (Every bit helps).

OMG! I don't know how I missed this mod....I've got to have widget!! :salesman: I thought this post was about one of our members making extenders the old way for members....till I desided to check today to see what all the hub hub/chatt was about. Great idea and job. Anyone know or find out for sure these will work with the soon to be avalible "Darth Bling GSXR mirror mounts" and his after market mirrors?

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...c=39029&hl=

If so anyone want to purchase a pair of the old style extenders...cheap? :idea3:

That video link doesn't work. Anyone have a updated one?

:offtopic: Now I feel like I have to spend some time and read all the VFRD posts to see what else I may be missing/ widgets I don't need but got ta have. :goofy:

edit... :warranty: just read the entire post..this is a DIY project ? LOL I don't have the time...anyone making these in the near future?

Edited by Joe Foe from Buffalo

• Member Contributer
OMG! I don't know how I missed this mod....I've got to have widget!! :salesman: I thought this post was about one of our members making extenders the old way for members....till I desided to check today to see what all the hub hub/chatt was about. Great idea and job. Anyone know or find out for sure these will work with the soon to be avalible "Darth Bling GSXR mirror mounts" and his after market mirrors?

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...c=39029&hl=

If so anyone want to purchase a pair of the old style extenders...cheap? :idea3:

That video link doesn't work. Anyone have a updated one?

:offtopic: Now I feel like I have to spend some time and read all the VFRD posts to see what else I may be missing/ widgets I don't need but got ta have. :goofy:

edit... :warranty: just read the entire post..this is a DIY project ? LOL I don't have the time...anyone making these in the near future?

Travis (Rivcyko) is the only one who made a lighted pair, that I am aware of. PM him for more info. He used a set of my extenders and worked from there, so if you have a pair of extenders, he might be able to mod them for you. He does good work and he's a good guy, so give him a shot. He truly will not let you down.

• Member Contributer

New link. For some reason the old one was deleted due to inappropriate content. LOL. :offtopic:

http://media.putfile.com/lobmod-2

Don't forget, the new ones will have the bonding line. I posted as a mod. I'm not in a financial position to buy supplies, up front, to do them. These leds are kind of hard to come by. You'll have too drill the holes in the upper faring and hook them up, anyway. I guess, if you really, really, really, want me to do them, I can. I will ask for the supplies be paid for, then sent to me. $15.00 per pair, (boils down to $5.00hr), + shipping.

Blinky blinky.... :offtopic: :warranty: I like them! As long as some one steps up and knows for sure they work with the ""Darth Bling GSXR mirror mounts" and his after market mirrors the way you modified these I would be more then happy to send you a pair with supplies and pay you...if some one posted all needed and If can find them all and or pay your fair price for all if your offering a package deal price up front for them. :thumbsup: Do you take PayPal?

Edited by Joe Foe from Buffalo

• Member Contributer
The DB mounts are compatible with Lobster's mirror extenders. All you will need to do is drill a third hole through the extender so you can run the turn signal wires from the mirrors to the bike. The shape of the DB mounts are virtually identical to the OEM mounts. While I cannot guarantee the DB mounts will be a dead on balls accurate (an industry term), I believe you will be very please with how they integrate with the Lobster extenders. :thumbsup:

FYI...

So, in looking at the model, there doesn't seem to be a hole for the wires to pass through? Are they going to have to be routed around on the outside of the base, or did I miss something?

Look closer!

th_Solid2.jpg

I will be providing hollow bolts that will allow you to run the wires through the bolt down into the base and out that third hole.

Good question. There should be a hole I would think. Hide the wires and all that.

But I haven't looked at a set of Gixxer mirrors up close and personal yet to see how Suzuki accomplishes the wiring.

These two pictures should help:

th_MirrorTop.jpg th_MirrorBottom.jpg

Does anyone have a wiring diagram to show how I could hook these up in conjunction with the existing blinkers? I guess I would need a set of diodes in there?

Diodes? It depends...

According to the wiring diagram, the left front blinker has green, orange, and orange/white wires and the right front blinker is green, light blue, and light blue/white wires. The green wires are ground, and the wires with the white stripe are the turn signal wires. The solid colored orange and blue wires are running light wires.

You can either tap into the green and white-striped wires and have your mirrors act just like your turn signals. If you do this, I believe you'll need to do something since your turn signals will flash slower. Alternatively, if you replace the bulbs in the mirrors with LEDs (less resistance), you won't need any diodes.

Or, you can wire them up to the green and non-striped wires and they will act as running lights (They will flashes backwards from the turn signals since Honda wire up the left switch pod on the VFR to deactivate the running lights when the turn signals flash.) This way won't require diodes.

I don't see why not. (I can hook-up the hole).

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

The Next Generation. I'll post more later.

100_4432.jpg

100_4433.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have an adjustable flasher. I have it at the rate I like, and the cops haven't harassed me,......yet.