Helmets

tooslow

• Member Contributer

what would the main difference in safety be using a mc helmet say verses a nascar helmet other than the d-rings used for restraint systems. I have been shopping for a new helmet and can't find a fit equal to my Bell sprint car helmet.

• Member Contributer
what would the main difference in safety be using a mc helmet say verses a nascar helmet other than the d-rings used for restraint systems. I have been shopping for a new helmet and can't find a fit equal to my Bell sprint car helmet.

Probably not much difference. Does it have a DOT or SNELL sticker on it?

• Member Contributer

Probably not much difference. Does it have a DOT or SNELL sticker on it?

Yes

If it's full face and DOT, I'd guess the differences are more form than function.

And if you're most interested in the safety function, full face and fits right is the biggest things, yeah? :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Peripheral Vision. I used to wear a Bell Sport 4 EC (Extend Comfort - Wider shield and Roomier cheek pads) for my Karting days. The field of vision doesn't come close to matching that of a true motorcycle helmet, they open the shield up way around your head to nearly your temples so there are no obstructions.

As a side note, I also really liked the fit of all of my bell helmets. The closest thing in my price range was the Icon Mainframe. They are very reasonable, and fit and comfort are very up to par for the price. Maybe go try one on and see what you think.

• Member Contributer

Bell has a high end version made in USA and the Wally stuff made in China. I measured the window opening of my Bell and my Icon and they are almost identicle. Top of the line Bells are pricey but are really comfortable. I am not being a Bell salesman just frugal.

At this point I wish I had never bought this cheapy Icon beings I had a Bell already, plus the fact it is noticeably lighter and is set up for tearoffs when the bugs show up this spring.

• Member Contributer

Used to use my race car helmets(before retiring from the sport) all the time. Not sure about now, but the many shields I had aquired with my "racing" Bells fit my first "motorcycle" Bell that I purchased. I've tried on some of my "still racing" friends helmets as recently as Christmas, when the neighbor got a new one. Most are cut for lotsa' side vision now. Same safety ratings. Only draw back might be the extra weight.......I'd say wear it and test the comfort....safety will not be an issue................ :thumbsup:

Peripheral Vision. I used to wear a Bell Sport 4 EC (Extend Comfort - Wider shield and Roomier cheek pads) for my Karting days. The field of vision doesn't come close to matching that of a true motorcycle helmet, they open the shield up way around your head to nearly your temples so there are no obstructions.

As a side note, I also really liked the fit of all of my bell helmets. The closest thing in my price range was the Icon Mainframe. They are very reasonable, and fit and comfort are very up to par for the price. Maybe go try one on and see what you think.

+1.gif You will gain field of vision with a MC helmet. I really prefer my shoei X-11. I can't speak for Icon.

Archived