New Lowered Footpegs (buell Ulysses)

Guest khyron

• Member Contributer

Just ordered those part # pegs from a Buell/HD/BMW dealer an hour or so from here. Mite as well make a mini-road trip out of it, as its a good excuse to spend some time looking at the new BMW's too....lol.

$24 each, about 3 days to get them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer

Picked up my Ulysses pegs from the dealer last weekend and installed them. A few small notes...

The holes in the new pegs are much larger than the pin, or holes in our OEM pegs. When installing the pin with the new pegs, it appears to be a nice tight fit though, only because the new peg actually isnt able to center itself on the stock mounting bracket....it sticks out a bit. This really doesnt matter....but it shows that it is actually not a direct replacement. But, we kind of knew that anyways....they're parts off a different bike. But, it does fasten fairly securely, and as others said, using the washer that is normally against the cotter pin to wedge in between the peg and the mounting bracket is just enough to tighten the peg up and get rid of the bit of clearance that's there. It isnt necessary though.

When the new pegs are installed, when pivoted to the downward position, they dont actually retract and sit totally level, because of how the inside of the new peg hits the mounting bracket just a bit. Unfortunately, i did end up grinding just a tad off of each peg to stop it from hitting, so now the pegs retract down to being totally level. But we're only talking about a max of 5 seconds each, literally with a bench grinder. The stock spring fits fairly well with the new pegs, although there is a bit more slack and the spring doesnt seem to fit as tight with quite as much tension. But...the spring is still able to work correctly and push the peg down if its ever pushed up.

I havent finished adjusting the shifter/brake lever yet. Im still trying to find the best adjustment on the spline for the shifter...my initial adjustment still had the lever up a bit too high, but one notch down and it was too low. Ill have to find the best spot and probably just get used to it im thinking. I havent tackled the brake lever adjustment at all yet.

After installing them on the bike, at first glance they look totally huge for the bike....but, its like other changes you make...you get used to it fairly quickly, and i actually like the idea of the new pegs being larger and having more surface area on them. And besides, especially if you go for the silver version, its not something thats really going to be noticable unless you're looking FOR it.

I did ride the bike about 20 miles with them on, and ive gotta say I love them. Just the inch change in leg position almost makes you feel for a second that youre on a different bike, and im anticipating much less knee discomfort on those 500 mile freeway stretches.

I wondered a bit about vibration with these pegs, since the stock ones have the rubber padding on them to isolate vibration. But, I can honestly say I cannot feel any difference whatsoever so far in vibration. I havent riddent it extensively yet, but i figure if any vibration problems didnt jump out at me so far, then it wont be an issue at all.

Even though the fit isnt totally perfect, it's still a great mod for $24 each (in the silver version). The same pegs in black are about double the price. If you want your legs to stretch a bit more, i think this one's a no-brainer. If you chose to do the bit of grinding and the adjustment of the levers, plan on about 30 minutes total for everything.

• Member Contributer

I've put about 75miles on the bike since I've added the new pegs. I really like it, however it does feel like a there is a little more weight on my arms now. Not sure if thats the case or its from not being on the bike for 4 months thanks to a little thing called winter

I've put about 75miles on the bike since I've added the new pegs. I really like it, however it does feel like a there is a little more weight on my arms now. Not sure if thats the case or its from not being on the bike for 4 months thanks to a little thing called winter

How many inches do it lower the pegs,also I was wondering about brake pedal adjustment. I have the pedal as low as I can get it (so my foot is hovering a mila-sec above without touching it). I would think that if the pegs were lower it would not leave room for foot placement over the pedal......What's your take?....Monk

• Member Contributer

These pegs are about one inch lower than stock. It appears that the brake pedal has about that much adjustment left in it, but of course its up to your personal taste whether itl be enough...

These pegs are about one inch lower than stock. It appears that the brake pedal has about that much adjustment left in it, but of course its up to your personal taste whether itl be enough...

Thx....Monk

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Boss9
I have been consideiring these also...I did find these on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...0&viewitem=

Kevin

This is Randy from Knight Design LLC. I make the pegs that are shown in this link. So far about half of the Pegs I make for Buells are actually used on other makes and models of bikes. I can just as easily produce these same pegs to fit on a VFR, so that you won't have to buy a pair of pegs and then mod them yourself. I would just need someone to send me the vital dimensions of the pivot pin diameter, the distance from center(or front or rear) of the pivot hole to the rear of the peg, and the outside dimensions of the pivot forks( how much room is there between the top and bottom mounting tabs. I would be willing to make the first protype pair or Buell like drop pegs for no charge to anyone that would want to work with me on getting a pair of pegs made, and then actually trial fitted to ensure they fit and work properly. I have done this for other models of bikes and it has worked well. May need a stock peg if getting exact dimensions is not your thing. I can go either way. The pegs can be wide, as the Ulysesses pegs are that I produce, are more the the XB peg width.

Anyway since I have seen than many have followed this link to my Ebay postings, I thought I would mention to this group that I can make the pegs to fit your bikes also.

If anyone is interested, or just wants more information, email me at randyk@knightdesignllc.com

Randy

• Member Contributer

Kevin

This is Randy from Knight Design LLC. I make the pegs that are shown in this link. So far about half of the Pegs I make for Buells are actually used on other makes and models of bikes. I can just as easily produce these same pegs to fit on a VFR, so that you won't have to buy a pair of pegs and then mod them yourself. I would just need someone to send me the vital dimensions of the pivot pin diameter, the distance from center(or front or rear) of the pivot hole to the rear of the peg, and the outside dimensions of the pivot forks( how much room is there between the top and bottom mounting tabs. I would be willing to make the first protype pair or Buell like drop pegs for no charge to anyone that would want to work with me on getting a pair of pegs made, and then actually trial fitted to ensure they fit and work properly. I have done this for other models of bikes and it has worked well. May need a stock peg if getting exact dimensions is not your thing. I can go either way. The pegs can be wide, as the Ulysesses pegs are that I produce, are more the the XB peg width.

Anyway since I have seen than many have followed this link to my Ebay postings, I thought I would mention to this group that I can make the pegs to fit your bikes also.

If anyone is interested, or just wants more information, email me at randyk@knightdesignllc.com

Randy

Randy

You may have just offered a solution that many of us would jump on. Keep in touch!!!

Muff

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Kevin

Randy

Randy

You may have just offered a solution that many of us would jump on. Keep in touch!!!

Muff

Outstanding, any chance someone that has already done a swap can donate their pegs for development here ?

Man ... no bike yet and I am already jumping into 2 mod threads ... here we go again ! :blush:

I just saw this...and have been considering a lowered peg as I have knee problems...I am not sure if I really can use them, as I don't have long legs, but I would be willing to take measurements, fit them, and give feedback. I sent Randy an email.

Guest Boss9
I just saw this...and have been considering a lowered peg as I have knee problems...I am not sure if I really can use them, as I don't have long legs, but I would be willing to take measurements, fit them, and give feedback. I sent Randy an email.

Thanks to the group for all for the interest. I have had several members message me with interest, most hoping I was already making pegs. Thanks to Tightwad, I can now get the dimensions I need to work on making a pair of pegs that will fit the VFR. I'll post more information when we have them made and tested.

Initial measurements sent to Randy as requested. For those that installed the Ulysses pegs..do they angle farther forward or is it just me? Does it seem to be an issue?

• Member Contributer

AWESOME ! I think I read somwhere that the Ulysses peg is longer than the VFR peg so a shortie version of that peg might be best to avoid loosing too much cornering capabilities for those some that need it.

Please keep us posted and put me down for a set. Will you be making a black option by any chance ?

Edited by VFRCanuck

Guest Boss9
AWESOME ! I think I read somwhere that the Ulysses peg is longer than the VFR peg so a shortie version of that peg might be best to avoid loosing too much cornering capabilities for those some that need it.

Please keep us posted and put me down for a set. Will you be making a black option by any chance ?

Yes, the pegs will be shorter than the Ulysses pegs. I had always wondered why someone would put a long wide beefy peg on a sport bike. Now that I have the dimensions for the VFR, I understand, the Uly peg at least fit in between the mounting tabs on the frame. The XB pegs were too wide at the forks to fit.

The pegs I'm working on now are currently set to be 5 inches overall length, same as the XB pegs. They will be available in Polished Aluminum, Clear Anodized, or Black Anodized. Other colors later on upon request. I'll post when they are ready, will be a few weeks yet

• Member Contributer

Randy -

Thanks for taking an interest in the VFR - I'll be in for a set when they're ready - was going to be purchasing a set of Uly pegs but this definitely seems like a better option!

And thanks Tightwad - you are the man as always!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Boss9

We are getting closer on getting the VFR peg design nailed down. We have completed the first pass, and I have gotten feedback from tightwad. He has been a great help. Also finished a new taper peg design, which I hope to have cut by the end of the week, and then off to tightwad for his feedback. Hang in there, I know it's been taking a while, but I've gotten swamped with orders for the other pegs. I'm anxious to get the VFR pegs out for you guys. Thanks for all your support.

Guest bigjay

Will These pegs of Randy's fit 4th gens? Im looking for a drop peg and would definitely like to support someone taking the time to make parts for the VFR.

Guest Boss9
Will These pegs of Randy's fit 4th gens? Im looking for a drop peg and would definitely like to support someone taking the time to make parts for the VFR.

Haven't gotten as far a figuring out what other years and models these will fit. Boy do I get tons of email from all over asking if such and such footpeg will also fit so and so bike. Hopefullly others on VFRD can help with this. Finished the first protype set of Tapered pegs for the VFR this weekend. Here is a pic of the right side on a rearset. Will send the set off Monday to tightwad.

6.jpg

• Member Contributer

Sweet! I like the looks of that peg. Add me to the list of people awaiting the production run of these things. As long as I can afford them I will be ordering a set as soon as they are avaliable.

George

• Member Contributer

Haven't gotten as far a figuring out what other years and models these will fit. Boy do I get tons of email from all over asking if such and such footpeg will also fit so and so bike. Hopefullly others on VFRD can help with this. Finished the first protype set of Tapered pegs for the VFR this weekend. Here is a pic of the right side on a rearset. Will send the set off Monday to tightwad.

Please check for 83!!! :laugh:

gallery_8868_2008_220953.jpg

drag it 2.jpg

Stephen

Personal choice I suppose if you want the rubber top feel of the stock peg. I sell the entire made to fit drop pegs for less than the adapter.

Boss9, let me be first to apologize. I thought this was more of the buell ulysses post. I cannot understand why folks bought that over the BLS. That being said, I didn't see that you were offering another option too. I am sure your's is excellent in all ways and is a great option provided by a member.

good luck!