Rear Slipping - Diablo Strada

vandy91298

• Member Contributer

Hi all - Happy Holidays :unsure:

I need some general advice on tires. I took the '02 out today and noticed the rear tire slipping a lot. Diablo Strada's F&R - both pretty new (~1000miles). It was cold for North Texas - about 45F. I ride pretty slow in the twisty's, mostly because THERE AREN'T ANY!! :P Anywho - the rear was slipping a lot today, both in corners and a couple times with zero lean in second gear 1/2 throttle!? ...and this was after 45 minutes of riding. I checked the tire pressures before heading out and they were 35/41. Also, when I pulled in to the garage, I immediately took my glove off and felt the rear out of curiosity - it was room temperature/luke warm at best.

Would lowering the pressures a bit help build a little more heat and hopefully grip? I'm not really worried about mileage. And yes, I realize it was most likely the road conditions today - the truck in front of me was slipping too. But it's happened before and I'm used to the grip of the regular Diablos......

One more thing - I recently reset the suspension sag, so I don't think that's the issue.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

• Member Contributer
What kinda tire pres. after riding. 3/6lbs. f/r is the rule

Crud - I pride myself on common sense and I didn't even think to check the pressures AFTER riding :unsure:

Thanks for the baseline info - I'll check that next time.

• Member Contributer

if your tires were room temp to the touch when you got back you need to drop pressure. if you are not concerned about wear and riding in cold temps, you may want to drop down to like 32/32

• Member Contributer
if your tires were room temp to the touch when you got back you need to drop pressure. if you are not concerned about wear and riding in cold temps, you may want to drop down to like 32/32

Thanks for the replies - I'm going to try dropping the pressure a bit......we'll see.

Sounds completely like road conditions to me, I always push in all conditions other than Ice and in temps lower than you mention with Stradas(or ant tire I've run) and never suffered from a single casual slip like you memtioned. I always ran 40-42 psi on the rear too, it was only after pushing the Stradas hard when they were more than 50% worn that they ever stepped out slightly.

In my opinion the tire (Strada) and air pressure(40 +) should Not be causing any of the slips you discribe in your post and at the temps you mention after the first 5 min. on the bike! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

At 200lbs, I run 38 prewarm,in the rear and 36 prewarm, front. Never had a problem. Of course, I'm not the most aggressive rider, either.

Archived