Painting Lower Fairing... Best Clearcoat?

Beck

Hey gang, I've been slowly modding my viffer to my liking, high mount, stripped the wheels, and painted the NACA ducts to blend-in to the body (I know, I know, the NACA fans are cringing). Anyway, playing some more with Photoshop, I think I'd like to paint the lower fairing to match too. I like the way it looks. I'll want to put a clear coat on it once done and was wondering what you folks recommend that would be tough enough for stray road pebbles, etc. Here are pics of my bike now, and what it would look like afterwards.

Dave

gallery_7633_1603_46756.jpg

Before

gallery_7633_1603_43654.jpg

After

I always thought the bike had just too much red so I went the other way.

gallery_285_20_529654.jpg

2 6 05 pics 015.jpg

I might even put on more black at the nose and fender and tail in the future

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

The major paint companies have 2 levels of paint these days. Go somewhere that you have seen repeatedly that they turn out good work and let them spray the top line clear on it. I'd recommend that you have them prep and shoot. It's so easy for people to cause a painter more grief than necessary by trying to help or save a dollar. Depending on what someone has used for paint in the past, the panel may have to be stripped and start over. If you have factory paint, let the painter sand and paint the whole deal. Modern paints are 2 part and breathing the fumes can kill you.

gallery_285_20_529654.jpg

2 6 05 pics 015.jpg

I might even put on more black at the nose and fender and tail in the future

Beck

95 VFR

Looks good Beck, I like the paint mod. How clean does the transition from red to black on the tail peice look, not being in a seem. I like it though. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

PPG is hard as nails. Keep in mind, the red will prolly not match. Rattle can with good clear is also a no-no. Go with one system, throughout. Most rattle can clears will stay soft. Where you're look'n to place it, I would say,...Don't do rattle can.

Guest DaveyDave
PPG is hard as nails. Keep in mind, the red will prolly not match. Rattle can with good clear is also a no-no. Go with one system, throughout. Most rattle can clears will stay soft. Where you're look'n to place it, I would say,...Don't do rattle can.

What is PPG? If not a "rattle can" do you brush it on? Also, I'm planning to use the same paint I used for the NACA ducts, which is nearly identicle, if not a very slight bit lighter than the rest of the body. I may try a shade darker by a hair.

Pretty cool! Hey, where did you get the cowl pad? I was looking into getting one for mine and so far only found one out of Germany for $50 or so... ouch! :blink:

• 1 year later...

Well beck? still have the 4 gen? did you paint your lower panels? Pics? what paint did you use? inquiring minds want to know - not to mention this search function is not agreeing with me!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Hello:

I see that you are in San Francisco. Me too.

I'm about to get my bike painted, which is why I'm scrolling around in this section of VFRD.

I've done a lot of investigation, research. The Bay Area name, which comes up over and over is Bobby Keith. He is in Redwood City. I was there once a while ago. He has state of the art equipment, including a down-draft paint booth. Some of his recent jobs were there in various stages of completion. He does incredible work.

No, I've not had my bike done there. Why? Well, it looks as though a friend - and an extremely good painter - is going to paint my bike for me.

So, IF you decide to have someone work on this job for you, I'd say Bobby Keith is the man:

http://www.cyclefinish.net/

rctwentyfour

As for clears, PPG does make some good stuff, the best I have used would be House Of Kolor, but be ready to shell out some money. However, as far as tough enough for pebbles etc, not going to happen, it's paint, not rock guard.

Also, was this painted with rattle can? If so, as Rivcyko stated, a good clear is a no no, the reducers/thinners used in them will react with the paint.

Archived