Electrical Failure - Help!

• Member Contributer

I just installed some aftermarket H4's - the Osram Silverstars 60/55W - in my 4th gen (97) VFR and the Back Off Tail Light Modulator. I rode it around the neighborhood for about an hour earlier this week on two separate occasions - no probs. I always keep my brights on and I'm in town a lot, but get it over 35 between lights. The battery is less than a year old.

This morning, I had it out about an hour (half of which was freeway). When I get into town, the speedometer started acting weird - it would measure the speed, and then drop to 0, and then shoot back up again, and then drop to 0 again. Soon thereafter, I lost all power, engine shuts down, and I safely pull off the side of the road. Bike won't turn over. Tow man comes (thank God for the Honda Riders Club towing service!!). He jumps the bike and it starts right up, voltage is 11.2 at idle, jumps to 12 if I run it at 4k rpm. I ride it to be sure before he takes off - speedo starts acting goofy again. When I pull back into the parking lot, it shuts off before I have the chance to shut it off myself. He tows it - of course the dealer isn't open Sunday, but at least I have a friend who does the rider course who kept the bike in the warehouse until they open Monday.

ANY IDEAS?

I've heard the electronics on these bikes aren't great. I don't plan on adding lots of electronics other than what I mentioned above, but if somebody thinks I should upgrade the alternator, I may do that. Let me know what you guys think.

I wish bad stuff would quit happening to this poor bike so I can ride it - first a nail in a brand new rear tire (only a week old) and now this!

• Member Contributer
When I get into town, the speedometer started acting weird - it would measure the speed, and then drop to 0, and then shoot back up again, and then drop to 0 again. Soon thereafter, I lost all power, engine shuts down, and I safely pull off the side of the road...

ANY IDEAS?

----> classic regulator/rectifier death.

Let me guess, 18,000 miles? Mine (a '96) died young at 12,000, but showed the above mentioned signs of terminal illness as early as 3600.

The original 3rd-4th gen R/R is universally hearalded as total crap. :beer:

For $150 to $200 Honda will sell you an updated plug-and-play replacement that is generally regarded to be reliable.

I just posted my Obsessive/Compulsive R/R Solution For The Totally Paranoid again under "charging problems on '98 VFR".

I am seriously considering posting a how-to writeup with pictures if there interest enough...

:blink:

Yep my R/R went out earlier this summer. Exact same symptoms. Fine for a while then speedo quits working, wierd coincidence but I'm willing to bet that's what it is. I got about 19,000 out of mine, I actually had a guy walk up to me in a parking lot where I was wiating for a tow he asked if I was broke down and when I told him it was his reply was "4th generation VFR? Must be the R/R because that is the only thing on those bikes that will go bad."

• Member Contributer
----> classic regulator/rectifier death.

Let me guess, 18,000 miles? Mine (a '96) died young at 12,000, but showed the above mentioned signs of terminal illness as early as 3600.

When you say "terminal illness" do you mean the r/r or the bike??? Please don't tell me the bike is on the way out, I just bought it a month ago, and it only has 9k miles - so my r/r died ridiculously young! Do you guys have a part number for the new r/r or will the shop be able to take care of it?

I've also read about an aftermarket part that is total garbage, so I'll make sure to avoid it.

• Member Contributer

Good stuff, guys - thanks a bunch! I never thought to ask - is it possible that it could just be a dead battery?

Feel free to post more how-to's with pics!

• 9 months later...
  • Member Contributer

yeah, me too.

My bike has been disassembled all winter for head replacement. Finally got it back together last week. I start cruising around the block for a little shake down and the lights go all dim, instrument panel dies followed by the motor. After a couple minutes I was able to push start it and make it back home. I just figured the battery was dead from winter storage.

I put it on the slow charge and try again 36 hours later. Made it around the block three times before it happened again. Great.

So I order a new battery. Same problem. This time though I was able to cruise around for 20+ minutes in the neighborhood and it didn't die till I went out on the blvd and ran it hard up through 3rd gear. Then the instruments died but I was able to keep the motor running and make it three blocks back to the house. When I pulled in it even sat and idled for 30 seconds in the drive way looking like the key was off. The clock was still on and it was running really rough and the over heat fan was on. She died and I cycled the key and everything came on again, but wouldn't start. Showed 224 degrees F.

It had absolutely no problems when she got unexpectedly parked for the winter do to a blown out spark plug.

So is this the classic R/R symptoms?

Was I stupid to buy a new battery? I guess I should have had the other one tested first. Dealer wanted $129 I got this one for 75 so I don't feel too bad.

What about the over heating? Related?

And yes I spent hours sifting through other electrical problems threads. All my wiring and plugs look pristine. No I don't have a multimeter.

• Member Contributer
yeah, me too.

No I don't have a multimeter.

Get one. They're really cheap. Run down to Radio Shack or Harbor Freight and you can pick a digital mm up for well under 20 bucks. It's almost impossible to troubleshoot electrical problems without one.

• Member Contributer
yeah, me too.

No I don't have a multimeter.

Get one. They're really cheap. Run down to Radio Shack or Harbor Freight and you can pick a digital mm up for well under 20 bucks. It's almost impossible to troubleshoot electrical problems without one.

True true. I'm just spoiled... used to the $400 dollar kind I used in the army. Anyway, yeah I need to get one.

Until then, however, does my problem sound like the standard r/r crap?

:goofy: Does anyone else find it funny that people often mistake 'electrical' for 'electronics'? I just noticed what forum this thread is under. I guess it could be called electronics on the bike these days, but I think this forum was more for consumer electronics and such. Oh well.

Archived