Another 8 Spoke

teleskier

• Member Contributer

Well I was just cruising Ebay today and noticed there was a pretty nice 8 spoke ending soon so I put a bid on it prior to going to the gym and low and behold I won the sucker.

So, I have one that is polished on the yellow 5th gen and another that is may go on Snowgirls bike but what other colors would you all suggest for my 5th gen? If you have photos, paint manufacturers etc etc that would be great.

Guest matt_c

I saw that, I was gonna bid, but wasnt near a computer in time to bid on it. Got it for $255 didnt ya? Nice price.

Dang it.

• Member Contributer

yellow to match? do you know how hard it was to match the stock yellow paint when I de dumbo'ed the nose even with the stock paint codes and all of the tints seperate? Let alone trying to get a powder coat to match.

I saw that, I was gonna bid, but wasnt near a computer in time to bid on it. Got it for $255 didnt ya? Nice price.

Dang it.

yea I bid on it with an hour to go. Wasn't planning on winning the dang thing.

yellow to match? do you know how hard it was to match the stock yellow paint when I de dumbo'ed the nose even with the stock paint codes and all of the tints seperate? Let alone trying to get a powder coat to match.

yea I bid on it with an hour to go. Wasn't planning on winning the dang thing.

It's separated from the rest of the bike, and will never really be clean enough to pick out the difference. C'mon, you know you want to! I've seen it done on an F4i(similar pearl yellow color, pc'd wheels), and it looked AMAZING!!!

• Member Contributer

Try Jeff Knight at TireQwik. He has pics of VFR wheels done in yellow on a yellow 5th gen. and a CBR900RR single sided swingarm conversion. There is a local bike done yellow-on-yellow and it looks great - one of the best fully monochromatic colors for the VFR.

When I was looking to powdercoat my wheels I was down to deciding between black chrome or black pearl. You would have to go to a shop to see them in person to fully appreciate them. I personally don't ever like the wheels being the same color as the bike or car.

I know the yellow at our local powder coater matches the Honda yellow exactly. VFRFLYER took a sample from the powder coater home to match his Y2K and it was exact. Now if your paint is faded from the sun that is a different story.

• Member Contributer

<~~~~ Jealous... just bought mine for 350 + shipping + paypal costs.... :pissed:

hehe... oh well... nice to have a bit of luck here and there... So, polishing, was it a pain for you? I introducing myself to the process. This particular 8-spoker I received was polished at one time with the "innards" still white. Thus, the lip and face are/were polished. It is now a nice beautiful oxidized faded metal color.

Care to help an 8-spoker out on process... I have been through polishing thread after polishing thread and have yet to really find what I want. A close-up of your wheel would be cool too...

<~~~~Still jealous over here... :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

I just used aircraft stripper then polished by hand with Flitz, Mothers, Blue something or other etc. shines like crazy. One other member said he finishes his with regular baking flour for a final polish. I tried it but did not notice any difference.

I just used aircraft stripper then polished by hand with Flitz, Mothers, Blue something or other etc. shines like crazy. One other member said he finishes his with regular baking flour for a final polish. I tried it but did not notice any difference.

I think he may have meant cornstarch, that's what they used to buff airplanes with at speed events.

As for the pics, I haven't found any yet, not with a polished lip anyway. I know it's out there somewhere... the match was good, and the polished lip made all the difference in the world as far as the finished look... all yellow would be a bit much for me!

Volatile: Get some very fine steel wool, and some Mother's or preferably Simichrome metal polish. Scrub the previously-polished surface with the steel wool, then follow up with some metal polish on a rag, and buff clean with another rag. Old t-shirts work very well for this, as do dollar-store cotton cloths(diaper cloths). Good luck, post pics when you're done!!

I am a fan of gold wheels on the true vfr color - Red. Yellow is harder, I think I would stick with Black or a blackish. What about blue that is so dark it looks black? or maybe a base of blue with a black topcoat? that would mean painting of course though.

• Member Contributer

Crap! How do you guys keep finding these things on ebay? Am I using the wrong search words ("vfr wheel" & "vfr750 wheel")? :joystick:

• Member Contributer

:blink: on the idea of the black chrome color. I have seen this in other circumstances, and it was a bit similar to a gunmetal with extra shine. I like that idea.

ok... first polishing is done (only to really get down and dirty and check the condition of the wheel). This wheel was pretty badly worn at arrival, thus, I am having to work down to the scratches a bit. Otherwise, I will have to change up the color scheme a bit too. I am thinking the fine steel wool is perfect for a close to perfect surface, but am having to go a bit more coarse to slowly even everything out. I have heard a lot about thie Simichrome, but have yet to see it or really even look for it. I have always been an avid Mother's Polish user, but I will keep my eye out for this Simi-stuff... I assume it is available at local stores?!?!

Thanks guys... Before and middle pics to come... gotta run down to the garage with the 'HOW-TO' camera... :pissed:

:joystick:

Get them brass plated and then clearcoated.

ewwww.. (that is a GOOD 'ewww")... Sounds cool.... almost like the statue of liberty bike they had built on one of those bike shows a while ago.... except, I think theirs was copper plated..

That brass sounds cool... hmmmm.... :rolleyes:

Archived