Sidi Vertigo Ok For Touring?

SEBSPEED

I've been looking to get a new pair of boots, and I really like the features of the Sidi Vertigo boots. Most of my rides are short, around 100 niles or less, but I'd like to know what the long-distance comfort is like, as in, wearing them all day for more than one day. I've heard they're fine for walking around, after they've broken in, so would they be good to wear on a two week tour(five days out, 3-4 days at destination, five days back)? Thanks for any suggestions!

• Member Contributer
I've been looking to get a new pair of boots, and I really like the features of the Sidi Vertigo boots. Most of my rides are short, around 100 niles or less, but I'd like to know what the long-distance comfort is like, as in, wearing them all day for more than one day. I've heard they're fine for walking around, after they've broken in, so would they be good to wear on a two week tour(five days out, 3-4 days at destination, five days back)? Thanks for any suggestions!

As long as they fit properly, you should not have any problem wearing them for days at a time. I have them and they work for me.

The only suggestion that I have is that if you are giong to be in country that has small gravel on the roads, consider something with lugged soles.

When you put your foot down on gravel it is just like stepping on a bunch of marbles. First your foot slides out then you and your bike go down.

Knew a guy once who thought he was cool because he rode in cowboy boots. He asked, so I told him that wasn't a good plan here in the spring. He didn't listen. He took a BMW on a test ride,put his foot down at a stoplight and down they went. He was a body builder type but still couldn't get the bike up by himself.

As long as they fit properly, you should have have any problem wearing them for days at a time. I have them and they work for me.

The only suggestion that I have is that if you are giong to be in country that has small gravel on the roads, consider something with lugged soles.

When you put your foot down on gravel it is just like stepping on a bunch of marbles. First your foot slides out then you and your bike go down.

Knew a guy once who thought he was cool because he rode in cowboy boots. He asked, so I told him that wasn't a good plan here in the spring. He didn't listen. He took a BMW on a test ride,put his foot down at a stoplight and down they went. He was a body builder type but still couldn't get the bike up by himself.

No problems with freedom of movement or stiffness over time/ anything like that? I've never owned any footwear that came that far up the leg, that's why I ask. Over the ankle is about as far as I've gone. Maybe it's actually better to wear tall boots for extended periods because of the extra support?

I am currently breaking a new pair of Alpinestar SMX-4 boots. They are fairly stiff right now, pinching a bit at the top of my right foot. I think this is normal breakin discomfort. They fell really comfortable and I could see wearing them for long periods of time.

I do get the ski boot feeling when walking around in them which is just a fact of the design. No hiking mountains in them that is for sure. If it was not too hot I would hang out at the track in them for the races!

I wonder how long the soles will last if I walk around alot on them. I plain to bring sneakers in my tank bag and where them when I am not riding, downside now ia I have a bunch of luggage to drag around. Are there lockers at the racetracks?

Christian

I'd say go for them. Just remember the factory soles are very thin and probably won't last too long. I recommend using Vibram soles they are quite thick and comfy, costs about $50 installed.

Vendramini boots. Fluffy slippers for the bike. Everyone I've ogtten to try them loves them, and my boss often wears them all day at work.

We've had experience with the DAytona and Marathon boots. The Marathons are a little tall for normal socks, the Daytonas less so.

I have a pair of vertebras and shile they look racier, they are not even on the same chart as the vendraminis comfort-wise.

http://www.bikerworldusa.com/vendramini.html

Steve

Vendramini boots. Fluffy slippers for the bike. Everyone I've ogtten to try them loves them, and my boss often wears them all day at work.

We've had experience with the DAytona and Marathon boots. The Marathons are a little tall for normal socks, the Daytonas less so.

I have a pair of vertebras and shile they look racier, they are not even on the same chart as the vendraminis comfort-wise.

http://www.bikerworldusa.com/vendramini.html

Steve

Thanks for the tip Steve, but those cost the same as the Sidis! Looks like they have some impact protection, and are good in bad weather too. Hmm... decisions.... I like the replaceable armor on the Sidis, and the new adjustable calf feature. I don't go on long rides real often... but I do want to do a track day in the future...

How do you like wearing your Vert's for longer periods of time? Do they bother you, or are the Vendraminis just that much better, in your opinion?

Race boots should be good for touring IF they are comfortable enough. A lot of race boots employ a forward cant design, just like ski boots, to avoid pinching at the top of the ankle at full flex like during a tigh race tuck against the tank. I noticed this on my Dainese boots, but when you think of it, the VFR has high enough pegs to justify a pre-canted boot. It's when you have to walk around after you get to your tour destination when the boot might start to feel less comfortable because of the limited backward flex. I would suggest considering a sport touring model with a minimum forward cant instead, if you do a lot of apres-ride walking.

Another thing I noticed with some race boots are, the hard protective plastics sometimes extend high enough up the inner calf to start marring lower tail fairing plastic and paint. older VFRs have tail farings that go lower than newer bikes near the heel area. Something to also check out before your purchase.

Beck

95 VFR

Race boots should be good for touring IF they are comfortable enough. A lot of race boots employ a forward cant design, just like ski boots, to avoid pinching at the top of the ankle at full flex like during a tigh race tuck against the tank. I noticed this on my Dainese boots, but when you think of it, the VFR has high enough pegs to justify a pre-canted boot. It's when you have to walk around after you get to your tour destination when the boot might start to feel less comfortable because of the limited backward flex. I would suggest considering a sport touring model with a minimum forward cant instead, if you do a lot of apres-ride walking.

Another thing I noticed with some race boots are, the hard protective plastics sometimes extend high enough up the inner calf to start marring lower tail fairing plastic and paint. older VFRs have tail farings that go lower than newer bikes near the heel area. Something to also check out before your purchase.

Beck

95 VFR

On my trip, that area of the boot will very likely be covered by textile riding pants, and one of Sidi's big selling points on the Vertebra/Vertigo boots is the articulation of the boot.

I was planning on sending a pair of sneakers and shorts/tees ahead of me via UPS, so walking in riding boots would be minimized; plus, it's going to be hot as hell where I'm going! Most other walking will be from the bike to a bathroom/hotel room/tent, so it shouldn't be too bad! :idea3:

The boots in question:

http://www.newenough.com/sidi_vertigo_boots_page.htm

:lurk:

• Member Contributer

I have Sidi Vertigos myself and although I do ride quite a bit with them, I rarely walk around in them for long, certainly not to the extent you are planning. I generally prefer a race type boot and I have found the Sidis to be comfortable both on and off the bike. I wish I could help you on extended walking in them :idea3: I think I would agree though with the other poster that said they would have concerns about the soles wearing out quickly.

I have Sidi Vertigos myself and although I do ride quite a bit with them, I rarely walk around in them for long, certainly not to the extent you are planning. I generally prefer a race type boot and I have found the Sidis to be comfortable both on and off the bike. I wish I could help you on extended walking in them :idea3: I think I would agree though with the other poster that said they would have concerns about the soles wearing out quickly.

Aren't they replaceable though? I really don't see myself walking in them too much, and it's 10-11 days of riding, if they're going to wear out that fast, I'm not buying any at all! :lurk: :joystick:

How long have you had yours, and how are they holding up?

edited for spelling

• Member Contributer
Aren't they replaceable though? I really don't see myself walking in them too much, and it's 10-11 days of riding, if they're going to wear out that fast, I'm not buying any at all! :idea3: :joystick:

How long have you had yours, and how are they holding up?

edited for spelling

I have had mine since last September and they still pretty much look like new. Yes, the soles are replacable. I doubt you will have a problem. I just wanted to point out as the other poster did that they probably would wear quicker if you were going to do a lot of walking in them which it sounds like you aren't.

Thanks for the tip Steve, but those cost the same as the Sidis! Looks like they have some impact protection, and are good in bad weather too. Hmm... decisions.... I like the replaceable armor on the Sidis, and the new adjustable calf feature. I don't go on long rides real often... but I do want to do a track day in the future...

How do you like wearing your Vert's for longer periods of time? Do they bother you, or are the Vendraminis just that much better, in your opinion?

The vendraminis are just that much better. I've hiked 5 plus miles in my marathons, and my only gripe is that the very top edge of the boots rub my shins after my socks work down, and that's minor. My feet have never been wet in them, and I've used them in snow and for stream crossings as well. If it's REALLY hot out, they can getmildly swampy, but never as bad as the old gore-tex hikers I had for a while.

They are truly bedroom slippers for the bike. I've worked 10 hour days in mine, mostly on my feet, and have no comfort complaints. I can't wait to get my vertebras off when I stop.

Why both? Ummmm...because I can? I like the sturdier toe box on the vertebras, and I have a bad habit from my racing days of dragging my toes at trackdays. The adjustable calf feature is moot on the vendraminis; they don't need it due to boot construction.

I never thought I'd spend that kind of money on a boot and call it cheap; the vendraminis are a steal, the vertbras are probably worth the money but not cheap at the price.

FWIW,,

Steve

PS; I'd love to hear how the vendramini race boots work; I couldn't get them in my size when I needed track boots and didn't want to trash my precious marathons, that's how I ended up with the Sidi's. Don't get me wrong, if I'd have never tried the Vendramini's, I'd of been happy with the Sidi boots; I never knew that a boot could be so comfy.

There's a review of the marathons at: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-boots/

My mistake; I bought the exact boots you are looking at, concidentally enough at newenough, too.

I guess they're the vertigo, not the vertebra.

Anyway, all comments apply.

Steve

Thank you Steve, for the extra description, it really helps to put things into perspective. That being said, I think I'll go with the Sidis, first for the type of use I'm going to get out of them, and second, for the price. I've got my eye on a couple auctions, hopefully they end well! :thumbsup:

If they get uncomfortable while zipping across the desert, I guess I'll just go barefoot :P

I've got the Sidi Vertigo Corsa Air model. Did a lot of walking on a recent two-week trip. Exceptionally comfortable. Didn't even require any break-in period. Calf and instep adjustments are very nice. Perforated Air model is cool on the hotest days and is OK in light rain. I carry Treds overboots for heavy rain. I would also put the Treds on if it got really cold, but that hasn't happened yet.

Make sure you get the right size. I consulted Ron at Washington Cycle Works; he's a Sidi expert. Excellent customer service. http://www.washingtoncycleworks.com/

I've got the Sidi Vertigo Corsa Air model. Did a lot of walking on a recent two-week trip. Exceptionally comfortable. Didn't even require any break-in period. Calf and instep adjustments are very nice. Perforated Air model is cool on the hotest days and is OK in light rain. I carry Treds overboots for heavy rain. I would also put the Treds on if it got really cold, but that hasn't happened yet.

Make sure you get the right size. I consulted Ron at Washington Cycle Works; he's a Sidi expert. Excellent customer service. http://www.washingtoncycleworks.com/

Thanks, how is their sizing? I wear a US size 13, so I was thinking a 48 would be good?

• Member Contributer

I bought a pair of Sidi Vertabra air when I was in reno for the meet and I love them. They gave me more room in the calf and ankle than the Vertigo you are looking at. I could not get the Vertigo zipped at all. Something to be aware of if you have large calves.

• Member Contributer

I have the Vertigo Airs. They are very comfortable from the start. No breakin really at all. I have 0 complaints. I've worn them for 10 or 12 hours, riding mostly walking some and they were fine. I've worn them riding, then to the mall etc.. and they were fine. The soles don't wear quicly, I wouldn't worry. They are fantastic and not near as "stiff" feeling as some alpine stars and other boots I tried on. I typically hate wearing boots and these are great. As far as a large calve goes, I wouldn't understand what kind of calves wouldn't fit in these boots, as they have a knob on the back that you turn to make the cavle plate adustable. Adjusted all the way out leaves a huge amount of room for calves. I work out regularly and don't have huge calves, but they are average I would say. I use almost the tightest setting.

• Member Contributer

I have the Vertigo Corsa's and for me they are really comfy for both walking and riding. I will walk around at a street fair or some similar event, but a 1 mile or more mountain hike would be pushing it for boots like these. They have worked well in varying weather including rain (but make sure to close those vents!). I am super happy with them after trying many other boots.

• Member Contributer

Sorta different, but I have a pair of the Cruiserworks Men's Commando boots that I wear when I ride the VFR to work. They look like combat or work boots, are very comfortable and are waterproof with kevlar in the shaft. Very comfy and look close to "normal" boots or shoes. I generally have to wear dress slacks or docker style slacks for work and these boots look more "normal" than my Oxtar's. I've found them to be more comfortable for long periods and to walk in than my Oxtar's. I can't attest to the new owners, but the previous owners & quality under their management was excellent. They used to be in Charlotte, NC and were sold last year to somebody in the Hickory, NC area IIRC.

Sorta different, but I have a pair of the Cruiserworks Men's Commando boots that I wear when I ride the VFR to work. They look like combat or work boots, are very comfortable and are waterproof with kevlar in the shaft. Very comfy and look close to "normal" boots or shoes. I generally have to wear dress slacks or docker style slacks for work and these boots look more "normal" than my Oxtar's. I've found them to be more comfortable for long periods and to walk in than my Oxtar's. I can't attest to the new owners, but the previous owners & quality under their management was excellent. They used to be in Charlotte, NC and were sold last year to somebody in the Hickory, NC area IIRC.

I can see where you're coming from, right now I ride in a pair of Icon Super Duty boots, which work well for me both on the bike and at work(the little 'shifter nubs' really work!). They get a little warm on the hot days, but it's tolerable. I really want something with more support and protection, and I think I've found that and then some in the Vertigos, because I can use them at the track too.

• Member Contributer

I have the sidi tepors, living in washington st. and all. I went to Laguna for a week and spent two days at the track walking around in them. My feet did not get sunburned or dirty. I unzipped the things and it all went fine. If it was not 100 degrees I do not think I would have unzipped them. Anyway it is a great boot and the best you can get for protection. Yea they were spendy but worth it for me. Oh yea. I went 1/2 size over my real size, I like my feet to not be real tight in a shoe, and when your feet get hot they expand, so I allowed for that and a extra pair of socks for the cooler temps. Try a pair on with all that in mind before you by them if you can.

windwalker

I too have been eyeballing the Vertigo Air's. I also like the SMX-4's from Alpinestars. After reading everyone's posts about the Sidi's, I will be hard pressed not to buy them. I do like the more subdued look of the Alpinestars though. I had a pair of Oxtar TCS which are awesome boots but they are not comfy for walking around in and such. Decisions decisions... :goofy: who am I kidding in the FL heat I'd be a fool not to buy the vertigo airs! :idea3:

I too have been eyeballing the Vertigo Air's. I also like the SMX-4's from Alpinestars. After reading everyone's posts about the Sidi's, I will be hard pressed not to buy them. I do like the more subdued look of the Alpinestars though. I had a pair of Oxtar TCS which are awesome boots but they are not comfy for walking around in and such. Decisions decisions... :beer: who am I kidding in the FL heat I'd be a fool not to buy the vertigo airs! :blink:

I just got the Vertigo a few weeks ago. What a Boot! So light I forget they are there. I almost purchased the Oxtar TCs, but when I found a pair of new Vertigos for $199 at Absolutecycle in NJ , I couldn't resist. I have been wearing a Teknic waterproof boot for several years (can't remember the model). In comparison, the Sidi's were quite an improvement, and I liked the Teknic's a lot. Walking is a bit stiffer, but not too bad. However, I've never had to walk more than the equivelant of a few blocks.

Fish

Archived