Racing Pants

lukebin

I am looking into buying my last piece of riding gear, a pair of JR Speedmaster Pants and was wondering what the group thought of how much use riders get from these types of pants.

My first thought is the need if or when I get to a track day, most places have them as a necessity. But what are the other places where they are used?

I would imagine on a fun twisty ride. How about use in the cooler weather? I currently have a pair of chaps I was think about riding in when the weather gets cold on my commute to work.

Others opinions, are they really worth it outside of the track?

Christian

I am looking into buying my last piece of riding gear, a pair of JR Speedmaster Pants and was wondering what the group thought of how much use riders get from these types of pants.

My first thought is the need if or when I get to a track day, most places have them as a necessity. But what are the other places where they are used?

I would imagine on a fun twisty ride. How about use in the cooler weather? I currently have a pair of chaps I was think about riding in when the weather gets cold on my commute to work.

Christian

Mine were certainly worth it when I found myself sliding down the expressway on my ass / back. My point? You don't have to be on a track to crash and the more you're wearing the less skin you'll lose.

Try checking eBay. I got a brand new pair of the Honda textile pants for, get this, $28. Still had the tags on them, never worn.

Yes, they're worth it. I wear mine everytime I go anywhere on the bike.

Christian

Only if you fall off the bike.

Some people will call you an idiot for ever getting on the bike without leathers (AGATT = All gear all the time).

The logical advice is yes and wear them all the time. Are you really going to feel better if someone on the internet tells you not to wear protective gear?

Personally I haven't bought any because it is really hot here and I have strap on (that sounds bad) armor for knees and shins.

It is merely an equation between risk factors and comfort. I would certainly wear them on longer commutes/rides in cooler weather if I had them.

edit: theoxmole's speedy fingers win again. :D

Guest Ikazuchi

First off... nobody racing wears "racing pants," they wear a full 1pc suit. :D

Second... I'm all for the maximum amount of gear when you're riding a little more aggressively. When I go for a ride up in the mountains I always wear my full suit. There's enough that can happen to you when you're cruising around. You just make it that much more likely when you're going faster and around a corner.

Personally... I'm not in the AGATT camp... I wear a jacket, gloves, and helmet to work and around town... but really... it's your body... do what you want with it.

Textile or leather... it's all good... but I'd go with something leather (and maybe with pucks) if you're really riding hard.

I wear leather pants year round from 20-100 deg., in winter I add long johns and it's fine and wear perforated in the summer.

I hope to never ride without them period!

All of mine are black and non-power ranger colors. For the track I have two different full power ranger suits! :thumbsup:

gallery_301_289_4660.jpg

self perf leathers 010.jpg

Guest jgombos
All of mine are black and non-power ranger colors. For the track I have two different full power ranger suits! :thumbsup:

Would someone please post what the power ranger colors are?

I recall getting into an elevator wearing a black leather 2pc suit (zipped around the waist) with purple lightening bolts, and a kid in the elevator started rapidly tugging on his dad's shirt saying "look dad!".. his dad said "yeah, that's a power ranger!" B) I had worn the thing in public for years before that, and it never occured to me that I was an imitation power ranger in that thing.

BTW, OP, I don't recommend leather for street riding. I've switched to kevlar because it has better abrasion and tear strength than leather, and easily slips on over street clothes.

I havent ridden track yet, but I imagine the only difference would be is I would attach some knee pucks to my pants. I wear my 2pc leather suit all the time! ...it just has empty velcro spots where the pucks go.

You don't have to be "racing" to crash. All it takes is a cell phone-toting SUV driver to turn in front of you.

As far as the power ranger thing goes... never heard of it!

(<--- Avatar)

The SILVER ranger is the leader by the way, not the RED one :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Most weekend trips, all long trips, I wear the Joe Rocket stuff...( leather jacket, pants, gloves,boots(ICON). On the daily commutes I'm guilty of substituting the pants for Draggin Jeans, and worse since the weather has been staying around the 100+ mark I've worn the 3/4 helmet instead of the full coverage. I know...stupid, stupid, stupid :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I'm ATGATT in a ....

(1.)leather/tex pant/jacket +++ always zipped together

(2.)heavy duty gloves

(3.)full face Shoei

(4.)light weight Magnum boots for the commute and heavy duty leather riding boots for fun rides.

I used to just put on a loose pair of jeans over my work pants/shorts but stopped with the jeans because I would feel pretty stupid laying in the ER with no skin on my legs and perfectly clean riding pants hanging in the closet at home. I have personally seen (some one else) how fast a pair of jeans disappear in a crash.

• Member Contributer

Alpinestars "bat pants" a great addition to their "spinner jacket" bu they DON'T zip together, although a full zip is provided with the pants to be sewn to the jacket. No knee puck, but I got a great fit and I'm very happy with the whole suit. Excellent quality !

Guest jgombos
I used to just put on a loose pair of jeans over my work pants/shorts but stopped with the jeans because I would feel pretty stupid laying in the ER with no skin on my legs and perfectly clean riding pants hanging in the closet at home. I have personally seen (some one else) how fast a pair of jeans disappear in a crash.

If you like the denim look, you might want to look into kevlar jeans. They look like jeans, but with the protection of kevlar (though you do give up impact protection).

• Member Contributer

I wear Alpinestar Track Pants year round. Thye're comfortable even in the summer here (at least when moving), but without something underneath (I usually wear silk long johns or cycling leggings) they get kinda chilly below 55 degrees or so (the crotch perforations provide a ram air effect right to the "boys" :goofy: ).

After the chaps comment I keep expecting to see the infamous buttcrack roadrash shot again....

NOoOoooooo!!!

smile.gif

Steve

Well, if you insist.

30700555-D.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have the JR Speedmaster perferated pants. They are fantastic pants. I've worn them as cool as 40 F, and they were much warmer than jeans in that weather. I've worn them up to 92 F and while it was hot, it was still bearable while moving. The perf pants do not flow a ton of air like a perf jacket does, only the thigh areas are really perfed, your boots cover the lower portion and the fairing takes a lot of wind off of your legs anyway. I would say they are good year round pants and would not buy the solid's unless you plan to do a lot of below freezing temp riding.

I don't wear them all of the time. I am guilty of wearing jeans from time to time while tooling around town etc.. When I go out and do some actual "fun" riding though, I always wear them. One thing I noticed when I first started to do sport riding was that most everyone wore full leathers. It gives me a little bit more sense of comfort knowing that if i do lay down on some corner somewhere, I will probably be ok and not leave my skin all over the pavement. If you have a jacket and pants that zip together you can use it on the track too I would imagine. The JR's will come with a zipper that has the other half that you can sew on your jacket (if its not a JR).

• Member Contributer
I wear Alpinestar Track Pants year round. Thye're comfortable even in the summer here (at least when moving), but without something underneath (I usually wear silk long johns or cycling leggings) they get kinda chilly below 55 degrees or so (the crotch perforations provide a ram air effect right to the "boys" :goofy: ).

Ditto that, I was going to buy a pair of Alpinestars Bat pants until I realized they have absolutely no ventilation anywhere. I wear my Power Rangers Red/White/Black Alpinestars Stunt jacket with black Alpinestars Track pants, Alpinestars GP Plus gloves, Sidi Vertigo boots and my black Shoei RF-1000. My kids call it my Power Ranger suit :D

stuntlthrjktred.jpgtrackpant.jpg

I think this Xmas I am gonna ask the wifey for a Cortech HRX jacket and HRX Pants for the summers. We are seeing temps in the high 90s but with the heat index it feels like 100+. There are 12 stop lights one way on my daily commute and I am suffering at each one as it seems I never cut a break and always get stuck in a line of traffic at each one.

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.ph...id=2&cat=25

h_kr_black.jpgh_ks_black.jpg

Archived