Ear Plugs Vs Noise Cancelling Earphones

gza

• Member Contributer

I know this issue has many threads about which to buy....shure, eytco....?, etc.

But my main ? is for those who have worn both ear plugs and noise cancelling earbuds. Do the noise cancelling phones work just as well, or are the ear plugs the way to go. For the first time today I rode with my ear plugs, and could not believe how quiet it was. I could hear myself think!! Almost too quiet. But very peaceful I must admit. I would love to get some earphones of this caliber, especially since it would not require turning music up at all. Any advice?

• Member Contributer

Ear Plugs have a noise reduction rating, most good plugs are around 31-33 db NR. I think that you can search the Shure and Etymo ear phones use the same ratings. But they vary depending on which insert of the "fit kit" that you use.

• Member Contributer

My ER6i's with the 3 flange tips are quieter than the 3 flange reusable plugs I use as an alternative. I don't think the ER6i's are quieter than properly inserted foamies, but neither are the reusables. It's hard to tell, in my opinion...

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the linky, but I read it the other day, and went out and bought some plugs....but wanted to know about the noise cancelling earphones. I guess I will have to research some ratings on the earphones vs. the plugs. Oh I bought the foam ones and swirled them up and pulled the top of my ear back to properly install them......and I was really a happy camper today. Going 80/85 felt like a walk in the park.

Not sure on the brand but Best Buy carries an earbud that is rated to minimize outside noise by 34 dB, basically they are an earplug with a very small speaker inside of them. I haven't actually seen them but a buddy just picked up a set a few weeks ago for his trip to the Seca race. Said they were very nice on the local highways and if memory serves well, I think they were like $40 something and change.

Thanks for the linky, but I read it the other day, and went out and bought some plugs....but wanted to know about the noise cancelling earphones. I guess I will have to research some ratings on the earphones vs. the plugs. Oh I bought the foam ones and swirled them up and pulled the top of my ear back to properly install them......and I was really a happy camper today. Going 80/85 felt like a walk in the park.

g-unit,

Welcome to the quiet side smile.gif . It is an interesting feeling just you and your thoughts inside a plastic shell, yes?

IIRC, this is an issue that drives Etymotic nuts. [bTW, how do you pronounce Etymotic?] They sell an earplug with a high quality (YMMV) speaker inside. From their point of view, they have a low cost/no power noise isolation system with speakers.

Then, along comes Bose, and others, selling a high cost/powered complex electronic fix to achieve the same thing.

Help me out here; have you seen a compact noise cancelling earphone that could operate without an ear cup? I'd have thought that an ear cup would be necessary to contain the out-of-phase sound wave and prevent a feedback loop to the microphone outside of the earphone. That feedback could fry your brain!

• Member Contributer

If I understand what you're asking(I'm slightly confused because you've mentioned both earbuds and earphones which are two entirely different things) you want to know if any of the "sound isolating earBUDS" cut as much external sound as "good quality" earplugs.

First off, understand that proper fit is crucial with either. i.e., riding with an earplug in when it's not inserted quite right is almost worse than no earplug at all :unsure:

But the basic answer from my "now extensive" search and trials :P for sound isolating earbuds is that even the best sound isolating earbuds don't isolate quite as much as earplugs.

Now, could one ride with good sound isolating earbuds(Shure,Etymotic, etc.) without the music going and be pretty comfortable.......then I'd say yes. Just realize that it will not be quite as quiet as earplugs.

Is that what you're looking for?

Funny you mentioned Bose, I did see them advertising a powered noise-cancelling earbud system. Actual buds, not ear cups. I made a mental note being it's the first time I've seen active buds.

however, I don't think I'd ever shell out the big $$ for active noise cancellation. Passive noise cancellation has been working excellent for years. Tried many types of earbuds and custom molds and all of them, providing you have a good fit, do a great job of minimizing the noise.

just my $.02

Guest jgombos
Dont even bother with active noise cancelling on a bike. It wont work, and actually tends to cause even more noise then without them.

Not to mention the geometry of active earphones making it impossible to wear a helmet over them. I have the Sony noise cancelling earphones. Since active cancellation requires a microphone on each earphone, it sticks out and there's no chance of getting a helmet over it.

OP, if you don't need audio, go with the expanding foam plugs - otherwise go with passive noise cancelling earphones if you can manage to find any that are flush with your ear (assuming you're wearing a helmet).

I would be tempted to try one of these things if I weren't wearing a helmet.

• Member Contributer

At $4 a box, I just buy the Mack spongy earplugs at Target. The 120 mile trips, I feel like I'm in an airplane...with a nearly silent rush of slipstream going by.

Compare that to some headphones, plus the $$ for some playback device, the inevitable need for a Powerlet Plug...

I'm sticking with my foam earplugs...

Archived