M3 Vs Pilot Power Wet Traction

jeremy556

• Member Contributer

I have been running M3s and Pilot Powers alternating for a while now and has been basically a tossup between the two.

Recently, the rainy season has started in Tampa, and it rains every day. The only tires I have used heavily in the rain here are my current M3s and Pilot Roads. I have tried a range of different pressures, but the M3s just totally suck here in the rain. My back tire routinely slides 40 or more degrees out of line with the front in turns and the front slides a lot as well, the Pilot Roads were 1000 times better in the rain.

I have not yet used the Pilot Powers extensively in the rain, only for 100 or so miles while in the mountains and they were excellent, but under different road and traffic conditions than my normal commute down here.

So, I know there are a few people out there comparing the M3s and Powers, what are your opinions of the wet performance difference between the two?

P.S. Miguel, I tried to place this in the gear review section but got a "You are not authorized to post" message.

I'm using a power front and an 020 rear with no probs at all in the wet. In fact wet or dry - its the best combo I've had in 12 years and 171,000km of VFR ownership.

• Member Contributer

Wet traction not a high priority in AZ huh. Have not had my Powers slip in the rain but I have not tried to find their limits. Not a lot of groves on the tread pattern of a Power. Just on appearance, the Roads looks like it could channel water away at a faster rate.

• Member Contributer

I have a Power on the front and Road on the rear. Never tried the M3. I can definitely say that the Power grips much better than the Road, wet or dry. The Pilot Road doesn't seem that great when wet so I don't push it much. The combo is working very well dry although the bike feels heavier than it did with the Diablo Stradas.

• Member Contributer

I've only run the stock tires (020's I believe) and for my riding they seem to do just fine rain or shine never had the bike slip yet even under pretty hard acceleration (to full throttle but leaning on it to move in the rain). Dry traction seems just as good, guess I don't push my bike as hard as some because the stock tires seem just great for me. They have over 4k miles on them and still look new.

J,

Used Powers since Ive owned mine. No problems in rain whether here in Fla or elsewhere, but I would imagine I dont push them like you might. But I can motor on in the heaviest of thunderstorms around here without a lot of fear, just watch for those nasty painted lines, arrows and such, I have slipped on those, due to my visibility problems in storms.... However, I do not worry about loss of traction, bring it...

The VFR isnt as stable as my RT in really crap weather, but it does alright, I figure the weight of the RT and its totally Goldwing like fairing and windshield, made it more of a tractor than the RT...

If you really want wet traction, you can't beat the Pirelli Diablo. Their dry performance is similar to the Pilot Powers but they wear out a few hundred miles sooner.

:goofy:

PP are 2nd best to Diablo's but last longer!:thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
I hope I can ask this here:

Wich tire will slip first in a corner in wet weather, front or back?

And in dry weather, f or b?

I'm asking this to know if this could be yet another reason for different tires f&b.

?.

No easy answer to this question, it depends on what you are doing. If you are braking hard into a turn in the wet, the front is going to slide first, if you are ripping the throttle, the rear will slide; just like on dry pavement, just happens sooner.

• Member Contributer
Lets say you just roll through the corner, no throttle, no brake, no engine braking, keeping the clutch in.

What would happen?

Don't do that, even in dry weather! You would probably fall into the turn. I would be more worried about stability than traction at that point. I can't imagine doing that in a corner. (Well, I did it as a beginner as a panic reaction, and never plan on doing it again.)

Now, while riding normally through a corner at a safe speed for a curve in the rain, with smooth, lightly accelerating throttle, on tires with sufficient tread remaining, nothing should slip. If you're carry too much speed for the conditions as you tip into the corner, the front will slide out. If you get a little wild with the throttle, the rear will slide out.

Don't do that, even in dry weather! You would probably fall into the turn. I would be more worried about stability than traction at that point. I can't imagine doing that in a corner. (Well, I did it as a beginner as a panic reaction, and never plan on doing it again.)

Now, while riding normally through a corner at a safe speed for a curve in the rain, with smooth, lightly accelerating throttle, on tires with sufficient tread remaining, nothing should slip. If you're carry too much speed for the conditions as you tip into the corner, the front will slide out. If you get a little wild with the throttle, the rear will slide out.

:blink:

Positive throttle is better than none in almost every cond. :thumbsup: Same in a cage, it helps the suspension maintain or take a set which grips better and keeps things in balance.

My old adage is "When in doubt, Gas it!" :huh:

I've got M3s on my FZ6 and have to say they are excellent in both wet and dry. I've ridden in the rain a few time since putting them on and they have done a fine job of keeping me up and on the road. Keep in mind I dont push it at all in the rain but still.......

Archived