Thinking of a flipup modular helmet?

The Best thing about Flip-ups is the ability to pull up to a Hot Chick at a Stop light, flip up and say "Hey Baby"! :goofy:

I've never owned one though! :unsure:

For some reason your pick-up approach reminds me of the "Mr. Microphone" ads from the 80's. :goofy:

Beck

95 VFR

I found the following write up on the website of a real motorcycle fanatic that has tons of information on it. This is his comment on flip up helmets and a friends accident.

"I have never owned one of these new flip-open helmets, most notably the HJC, Nolan, and Schuberth. None of the flip-open helmets have been submitted to Snell for testing. I now believe this is because the manufacturers know that the helmets will fail the test. I have heard several stories now about people crashing in flip-open helmets and getting eye socket damage and concussions - in one case, a personal friend of mine. My friend had what seemed to be a relatively minor side impact on his head - the helmet was barely scarred at all. However, at the hospital he fell into a coma for three days, and was confused for another couple of weeks. He required two surgerys to repair his eye sockets so that his eyes would stay in his head. Frankly, his story really shook me up and I started investigating these helmets much more closely. I was not impressed with what I learned.

The shell of the flip-open helmets apparently work just fine. I have no indication that these helmets tend to open in a crash and expose your face. However, the hinge mechanism in flip-open helmets takes up space that in any other helmet would be shock- absorbing EPS styrofoam protecting your temples. The hinge mechanism intrudes into the impact-absorbing liner in the temple area. If you hit the side of your head on the ground (quite common in a fall) the hinge mechanism can hit your temple hard enough to break your skull. As they say in Ghostbusters, this would be bad.

I spoke at length with the people at the Snell institute about this topic (7/04). They have never had a flip-open helmet submitted to them for certification, and therefore have never tested one, nor have they paid much attention to them. They found my statement, that flip-open helmets can cause temple damage, quite interesting. I learned from them that essentially all helmet manufacturers have in-house testing facilities and do a very good job of this. They named three companies in particular who do a superlative job; all three make flip-open helmets. I was told that the manufacturers can perform the Snell certification tests just as well as Snell can, so they know well in advance if they are going to pass.

Snell and DOT testing is performed with a magnesium dummy head in the helmet. The magnesium head has one accelerometer located at the center of gravity. This means the accelerometer cannot test for twisting forces, and it can only record the average impact force on the head, the force averaged over the entire surface of the magnesium head. There is no way this device could record a sharp impact on a small area, such as might occur if the hard plastic hinge mechanism hit the magnesium skull. The Snell and DOT tests have separate tests for the shell, to see that they resist penetration by sharp objects. The tests are not designed to record if a small hard object already inside the shell hits your head. So, it turns out that Snell and DOT tests are not very sensitive to an impact from a hinge mechanism.

None the less, it's interesting that none of the flip-open helmets have ever been submitted to Snell for independent testing. Some of the companies that make these helmets pay to have essentially all of their other street helmets certified, but not the flip-open in particular. I find this exceedingly suspicious.

I recommend you avoid flip-open helmets if safety is a concern. Side impacts to your head are quite common in motorcycle accidents. The temple area is the weakest part of the skull. Injury to the temple area can cause substantial brain damage and substantial vision impairment. If you have a side impact in a crash I believe flip-open helmets will likely cause temple fractures and concussions far in excess of what you would have from a full-face or open-face Snell helmet. I believe you're safer in an open-face helmet than in a flip-open. "

Last summer I had a first hand experience in a crash, using a Schuberth C2. Hitting a dog, at aprx. 80 km/h, I went head first over the bike and landed on my left temple, as first contact.

Sliding for about 60 meters, I came to a halt at the roadside, with a broken wrist, left collarbone and some ribs. The windshield got torn off at impact, but I got no injuries to my head nor my face. The helmet gave good protection, and I've now bought my second Schuberth C2.

As I wear glasses, I find it problematic to remove the eyewear every time I'm putting on my helmet.

gallery_630_197_163185.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

The helmet.

• Member Contributer

I remember that article last year that showed that snell rating isn't always better. DOT and Euro ratings were softer and diverted more of the impact energy then the snell helmets. Now I love my shoei that is snell rated, but I wouldn't base my selection on that alone. Some how we American's have become Snell Snobs, and it isn't always the best helmet. I've heard other people talk about that article on this site and if I'm remembering correctly, a cheap $80 DOT helmet was better at the impact then the $300 Snell helmets. Might not be as refined in paint and looks, but when it came to hitting the testing lab, it came out on top. Anyone remember which mag had that article?

Guest fellswoop

I had the Nolan x1002 with the built in visor..ordered from Moto Accessory Warehouse...

helmet fit fine when I had tried it on in a store for up to 15 minutes, but when I got it and went for a ride, after about 30 minutes I was in excruciating pain. Man, it was torture. My head just didn't fit the Nolan shape.

I guess I have a Shoei head. So I returned the Nolan and got a Shoei RF1000, which is just as great as the Rf900 I had before that, and the RF???? I had before that.

Having a flip-front would have been great, but really, putting my glasses back on after putting my helmet on isn't that big a deal.

The point of my post? Make sure your helmet is compatible with your "head shape". (Please note, the size was right, just not the shape. Nolan and Shoei are waaay different in this respect.)

Ride safe!

Guest Aardvark892

I've got a silver HJC Sy-Max, and I love it. It gets darn hot here in southern New Mexico, and being able to flip it up at stops/slow speeds really helps. Unfortunately, the bug population here is kinda high, so having the option of a full face at highway speeds is a life saver. If you're considering getting a flip-up, really think about getting a "one-hander", if you can find one you like.

S~!

Tim

EDIT: I forgot to mention the vents, which are pretty useless unfortunately. Also, so far the Sy-Max seems waterproof... I've been in many a rainstorm and I've never had any problems with leakage. If the top vent actually worked, I'd recommend this helmet to anyone!

• Member Contributer
I remember that article last year that showed that snell rating isn't always better.  DOT and Euro ratings were softer and diverted more of the impact energy then the snell helmets.... Anyone remember which mag had that article?

Motorcyclist...October or possibly September issue. Great article, it inspired the wrath of Snell and quite a bit of flack from Arai (which I have always ridden) and Shoei.

I have a Shoei, syncrotech and absolutely hate it. It is loud and feels like tornado-like winds are blowing across my face. But the kicker is that the strap digs deep into my jaw, almost like it's choking me up above the adams apple. I try never to turn my head left otherwise it digs deeper into my throat. My advice is try one before you buy. I have an x-11 which I will swear by.

• Member Contributer

Everyone here should take the time to read that Motorcyclist article on helmet standards. It is on their website. What an eye-opener. It basically exposes Snell as being dangerously arrogant, as well as some BIG name helmet mfr's, who subsequently jerked all advertisng, put their hands over their ears and went pouting off into the sunset.

I bought one of the helmets that was DOT that they found to be best for safety for my girlfriend. The kids at the shop acted like I was the stupidest, most uncaring boyfriend since Charlie Manson. "Don't you want her to be protected when you crash? Don't scimp out."

I them asked them what the testing criteria for Snell approval was. "Uh, I don't know, but EVERYONE knows Snell are better".

It should be noted that Motorcyclist lost ALOT of advertising revenue over this, and has stood it's ground nicely. A MUST READ. :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, for the record I wear a snell helmet mostly. It just fits the best!! My next one with be a cheap Z1R DOT, which is the helmet the produced the best results.

Archived