New Arai Quantum 2 Helmet

weaselphd

Lately, I have been doing this without taking the helmet off, sometimes without turning the motor off - I'm stopped of course. 

I suppose the big thing is that when raising the levers and rotating the shield it FEELS, SOUNDS and LOOKS like you are breaking the plastic pods.  Ya gotta get past that. :lol:

That would have been soooo much cooler if you could do it while riding :beer:

Yeah it does sound like it is breaking when you do it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
That would have been soooo much cooler if you could do it while riding  +1.gif

Yeah it does sound like it is breaking when you do it.

Yeah it could be dual layer like a military jet pilots visors one for sun and one clear. they slide down inside the other one... but if they go that far a nice target acquisition system complete with heads up would be nice too! :beer:

Yeah it could be dual layer like a military jet pilots visors one for sun and one clear. they slide down inside the other one... but if they go that far a nice target acquisition system complete with heads up would be nice too!  :beer:

That would be cool. Well they have the HUD already, no target acquisition yet though.....

http://www.veypor.com/hud.html

I've always had a dream of making a HUD for a car/motorcycle that would have software to tell you how fast or slow other cars were going compared to your speed and a visual police recognition alert (because radar detectors detect radars, not cops). Someone could do it if they put their mind to it, it would be expensive though.

• Member Contributer
That would be cool.  Well they have the HUD already, no target acquisition yet though.....

http://www.veypor.com/hud.html

I've always had a dream of making a HUD for a car/motorcycle that would have software to tell you how fast or slow other cars were going compared to your speed and a visual police recognition alert (because radar detectors detect radars, not cops).  Someone could do it if they put their mind to it, it would be expensive though.

I would be your first customer. :joystick:

• Member Contributer
I currently use a HJC AC11 for my long head. If any of you know helmet fitment can you recommend an Arai modle to fit my head like the AC11 shape?

I don't like HJC that much, way too noisy.

Yeah, like Joe said.. Signet GT and Profile. The Profile is the new improved Signet

Hey Joe, are you saying Arai makes different shape shells? I haven't tried a Arai for years, but I never found one that would smash my noise, chin & forehead.

BR, I have a signet GT. It is the only helmet that fits me comfortably all the way around my head. I've tried them all, all other popular brands. I've tried the other Arai's, the Signet and Profile fit my head perfectly. I think you would like the way it fits. I'm eyeing a new Profile myself with more Graphics than my plain black helmet. The only reason I got black is that the dealer made me a deal on it. $500 helmet, got it for $300.

I would be your first customer. :joystick:

Well I know where to get the hardware parts, but it's the software that would be an issue. It would have to be like a carnivore program that would be able to filter pictures, or in this case a video in real time (to filter for cops or anyother kind of vehicle). Car speed would probably have to be done with either a radar or some kind of software that can tell distance visually, then using an algorithm determine the speed of the object in referance to how fast you are going. To be really effective it would have to be able to track multipule objects at one time. It would brobably need a decent processor, but because of modern computing you can make a computer pretty small and you can probably fit the computer compnents in your bike and use either bluetooth or a wire to relay information to your headset.....blah blah I could go on.....

Yeah, like Joe said.. Signet GT and Profile. The Profile is the new improved Signet

BR, I have a signet GT. It is the only helmet that fits me comfortably all the way around my head. I've tried them all, all other popular brands. I've tried the other Arai's, the Signet and Profile fit my head perfectly. I think you would like the way it fits. I'm eyeing a new Profile myself with more Graphics than my plain black helmet. The only reason I got black is that the dealer made me a deal on it. $500 helmet, got it for $300.

Thanks Eric, I'll look into them. Sizing still the same? :beer:

• Member Contributer

I don't think the Profile is the exact same shape as the Signet GT.

I couldn't get a Signet to work right, I went and tried a bunch on and they tried the different pads and stuff and couldn't get it right.

The new Profile is probably the best fit for my head of any helmet I've tried on. I am still not sold on the Arai shield system, my last 2 helmets have been Shoei (RF-800 and then Z-Two) and I think their shield latch is better, but I think I may end up with the Profile because it definitely has some very cool features.

Things that are better about the Arai Shield:

- Pre-curve makes it stick to the seals very very hard - Shoei shield is not under tension while it is on the helmet, whereas you have to bend the Arai shield out to get it onto the helmet, the tension will make it stick better and seal up better.

- Ability to lock shield shut so high speeds can't make it crack open at all. (My Z-Two has developed an issue where the shield pops open an imperciptible amount, you can't even see it but it whistles until you push it down hard again.)

Things that I think are worse:

- Arai shield is way too expensive due to the vents being in the shield

Another thing that looks really awesome on the Profile is the built in chin spoiler, that is incredibly cool.

My main thing is I need to know how quiet the Arais are, that is one of my big things with a helmet. smile.gif

• Member Contributer

according to Arai's web page, warranty is only valid if purchased from a dealer in person. Not via mail order. Keep that in mind too.

As far as fit, they say even between current models, like the Profile, fit may be different between each Profile even between production runs so try EACH one on and they say to never assume you will wear the same size year after year even in the same model due to these variances.

• Member Contributer

BR,

The sizing seemed the same to me when I tried a profile on the other day. Fit was the same. I use an XL and the profile XL fit the same as my signet GT.

From Arai's website

1. LONG OVAL

(very long front-to-back, very narrow side-to-side). On this end of the scale, we have the new Profile model, offering additional forehead room for those who find that most helmets have pressure points in the forehead.

As far as the Profile vs. the Signet GT, Arai's website states that the Signet GT is discontinued and it's its place is the Profile. The fit was exactly the same for me.

BR,

The sizing seemed the same to me when I tried a profile on the other day. Fit was the same. I use an XL and the profile XL fit the same as my signet GT.

From Arai's website

1. LONG OVAL

(very long front-to-back, very narrow side-to-side). On this end of the scale, we have the new Profile model, offering additional forehead room for those who find that most helmets have pressure points in the forehead.

As far as the Profile vs. the Signet GT, Arai's website states that the Signet GT is discontinued and it's its place is the Profile. The fit was exactly the same for me.

Thanks Cozye! +1.gif

I landed on my head when I was born and as a result have an odd shaped head! :P In fact I've landed on my head many times helmetless, what's everyone else's excuse? :beer:

• Member Contributer
Thanks Cozye! +1.gif

I landed on my head when I was born and as a result have an odd shaped head! :P  In fact I've landed on my head many times helmetless, what's everyone else's excuse? :beer:

Bailey, I had a signet, but just purchased a Profile. Fit seems the same to me. I love the new one -- I wore it at the TexMac ride.

Bailey, I had a signet, but just purchased a Profile. Fit seems the same to me. I love the new one -- I wore it at the TexMac ride.

Thanks Butch, I've should have paid more attention! :P

• Member Contributer
This may be a dumbass question, but shouldn't a "good system" be easy to change, and not require loads of practice and/or a training CD?  Especially considering they are mucho $$ ??

BTW - I'm just asking, cuz I've only got me an el cheapo HJC...

Yes. And they are easy. I can change mine without taking my helmet still on my head about as fast as I can take the HJC off and put it back on while sitting in my lap. I've only done it a dozen times all together, so I don't even consider myself having practiced it. It's well worth the tiny amount of effort because the covers make the helmet look a bazillion times better.

• Member Contributer

well I just tried on all of the Arai models at my dealer and none of them had a chin bar that comes down low enough to cover my chin or jaw bone. You would think if they were making the Profile for longer, more slender faces they would change the length of the outer shell to provide protection.

Looks like its back to HJC for now.

• Member Contributer
well I just tried on all of the Arai models at my dealer and none of them had a chin bar that comes down low enough to cover my chin or jaw bone. You would think if they were making the Profile for longer, more slender faces they would change the length of the outer shell to provide protection.

Looks like its back to HJC for now.

The outer shell does have a different shape for each of the Arai models. There are thousands of different head shapes and only three helmet shell shapes. There's no way they can perfectly fit everybody. However, you were supposed to have an employee that knows how to fit Arai helmets work with you to get a better fit. It sounds like you need to go up a size or two larger and use thicker pad inserts to get the good fit and chin coverage you need...Or just stick with the HJC like you said. wink.gif

The shell on my medium HJC CL-14 is larger than my XL Arai Corsair. This large HJC shell is filled with soft foam that will let it conform to many different shaped heads, where the Arai uses more firm custom insert pads to make the perfect fit. The HJC padding will wallow out faster than the Arai padding, but otherwise, both accomplish the same job of a good fit on lots of different heads. If your HJC model is designed anything like the CL-14, that's why it will fit you better than the Arai lids you tried on...they need custom fitting. HJC is a good helmet. They don't ventilate well enough for me, and the helmets I've tried are heavier so I spent the extra bucks to get exactly what I wanted.

• Member Contributer

I tried lg and xlg helmets of all models. The store staff new nothing about them. The kid handed me one not even knowing the models and as the helmets were going onto my head would ask how it fit. He had no clue how to fit a helmet. They didn't even know there were other pads available.

• Member Contributer
I tried lg and xlg helmets of all models. The store staff new nothing about them. The kid handed me one not even knowing the models and as the helmets were going onto my head would ask how it fit. He had no clue how to fit a helmet. They didn't even know there were other pads available.

Yep. That beats the "purpose" of Arai's no internet sales policy. They want the helmets fitted correctly by someone that knows how to do it. If not fitted correctly most folks will think the Arai products to be inferior. You had a walk-in experience that was just as bad as trying to fit yourself over the internet because the guy working there probably didn't know a D-ring from a D-cup. :beer:

I'm not asking you to convert to Arai, but if you ever get a chance to go to a large bike event such as the Honda Hoot or one of the big AMA races, go over to the Arai tent and let a pro fit you. Unless you have a really weird shaped head, I guarantee you will like the way the helmet fits, but I can't guarantee you will like it any more than the HJC.

Couple of other quick notes:

1) I think Arai (not positive about other mfgs) is the only mfg that the sizes are actually different shell sizes. Where others it's just different padding sizes inside, all the same shell.

I'm pretty sure with Arai the XS and S are the same shell, next shell up is M and L, then XL and XXL. Relevant? yeah if you have a smaller head, you dont look like a goof wearing an XL with big pads in it :beer:

2) Anyone thinking of buying any helmet, wear it in the store for an extended period! half hour at least. It takes that long for hot spots to show up. All these helmets are just too dang expensive to do very often smile.gif

• Member Contributer

I love the way my QuantumII fits. But is it me or are these helmets *L O U D* ? The number of lids I've owned wouldn't be a large cross-section of what's out there; but the Q2 is the first that ever made me seriously consider earplugs.

My '96 has a D&D slip-on, and people often ask if it lives up to it's reputation. "Do you find that pipe loud?"

To which I reply, "Huh? what pipe???"

• Member Contributer
I love the way my QuantumII fits.  But is it me or are these helmets *L O U D* ?  The number of lids I've owned wouldn't be a large cross-section of what's out there; but the Q2 is the first that ever made me seriously consider earplugs.

The more ventilation you have, the more noise you get. That's the price you pay for a cool head!

• 7 months later...

I have a Quantum 2 - "Doohan Reggae"......

Picture003.jpg

Picked up on eBay NIB for around $400 shipped.

It's my fourth Arai helmet. I had Icon Mainframe before I got my current one, and promptly sold it and went back to Arai.

The Icon was quiet, in comparison, but in every other regard it was garbage, and I clearly saw why it was a $200 helmet. I have no doubt that it was a safe helmet, but it wasn't as "nice" as the Arai. No surprise there really.

Arai's visor system is brilliant and effortless. I can change my visor in less than 10 seconds with the helmet on my head while on the bike (stopped with the other visor in the tankbag). I've not seen another helmet where that can be done as quickly, at least while wearing the helmet. I've "raced" friends with other helmets, and it's not even close.

I have never had a problem with the system on any of my Arai helmets. It didn't take any practice or anything like that, I must just not be as ham-fisted and dim as some of you might be. wink.gif I admit, it got a little trickier when they added the safety release a few years back, but still the visor comes on or off in one fluid motion.

The RX-7 and Quantum 2 are race helmets, so they aren't designed to be quiet. They are desiged to be protective and well ventilated.

• 11 months later...

Ok, I just had one of the pods on my Quantum II break. It sucks, I've had it for over 2 years and I'm due for a new one. But, I'm still pretty pissed that the pod broke. One of the plastic clips broke from the pod. It hasn't completely fallen off yet, I have one clip that is still good, but if the other one falls off I'm going to be screwed. Hopefully I can pickup a new helmet on Saturday. I'm looking at a HJC Sy-Max Modular helmet. I want a Roof (helmet brand), but they are super expensive and shipping would be a !@#!@.

• Member Contributer
Ok, I just had one of the pods on my Quantum II break. It sucks, I've had it for over 2 years and I'm due for a new one. But, I'm still pretty pissed that the pod broke. One of the plastic clips broke from the pod. It hasn't completely fallen off yet, I have one clip that is still good, but if the other one falls off I'm going to be screwed. Hopefully I can pickup a new helmet on Saturday. I'm looking at a HJC Sy-Max Modular helmet. I want a Roof (helmet brand), but they are super expensive and shipping would be a !@#!@.

Arai will fix it for you. I see you are in CA so you might be able to find an Arai booth at a race and they would fix it for free or at a very reasonable cost. That would save you the cost of boxing it up and shipping it to them.

• Member Contributer

After a period with a cheap Bell and then a Shoei, I purchased my first Arai whenI was in Japan in 1983. It was stolen by the time my VF750F gallery_7288_1401_57707.jpg

Lets Go!_edited.jpg

was shipped from Japan to San Diego. :rolleyes: So I replaced it with a Simpson model 32 that looked like Darth Vader. What a noisy peice of crap that was. So the next 20 years were spent wearing various Arais.

I seriously considered a Shoei XS-11 before purchasing a Shark RSR2 Duhamel replica this summer, after deciding that I would never purchase a Snell helmet again. I will in all likelihood (barring a major redesign) never purchase another Arai again.

The Shark is easily the best quality, quietest, most comfortable helmet I have ever owned.

I was pretty good with the Arai visor change but lost a dozen side pods over the years. The visor change (and quality of visor) on the Shark blow me away.

Being a long oval shaped head I did develop a small hotspot on the front of my forehead which i remedied by removing the plush, fully removal interior of the helmet and gently rolling a :goofy: bottle that just happened to be on my counter :beer: back and forth to very slightly depress that area.

Arai makes great quality stuff but they seem almost as stubborn as Honda when faced with the obvious design deficiency of a recalcitrant shield system...now how many years did it take Honda-san to abandon the 16" front wheel on their sport bikes?

Archived