New Arai Quantum 2 Helmet

weaselphd

• Member Contributer

Just got back from buying my new Arai Quantum 2 Helmet, well and test riding it. and what an amazing helmet, for those of you out there who are looking for a lightweight very aerodynamic and comfortable helmet, check one of these out, ride with it if they will let you, i give it 5 out of 5 stars!

DSC00674.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSC00675.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSC00676.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Cheers! :goofy:

Michael

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

You made an excellent choice! They are great lids. I have one for my son. It's a little to round for me. It's very comfortable, but my nose and mouth are right on the chin bar. I have an RX7 Corsair which is more oval and is also very very nice. There is no helmet as comfortable as the Quantum II if it fits correctly!

Guest 767fixer
There is no helmet as comfortable as the Quantum II if it fits correctly!

i don't know.... i have worn a suomy that was like wearing a tempurpedic bed around your head.....that helmet fit sweet. to bad i could not afford it after the test ride.

The Quantum is the most comfortable helmet for me by a large margin. Too bad they're so pricey. I'm also unhappy that there is no longer a solid yellow model. sad.gif

• Member Contributer
I have a Quantum II also and I love it.  It was a bit expensive, but my brains are well worth it  :goofy:

Ill definately give you a :wheel: for that one im still paying on the 12 years of college, so i better protect that investment!

Thanks for all the comments everyone! Glad i made a good choice!

Michael

• Member Contributer

I have a Quantum II I baught last year. Fit is great, very comfortable, good venting.

But as far as I am concerned the visor system suck arse. I am on my second set of side pods, and have had one pop off while doing 100km/hr on the highway, visor goes flying. it was great fun.

I would have baught another Shoei but they changed the way they fit.

I tried on a Shark recently that also fit really well. I may go that route next time.

Unless Arai changes the visor mechanism I won't buy another.

• Member Contributer
I have never had a problem with my visor system. I think that it's great and easy to change.

Is it possible that you ended up with a bad helmet?

Just a thought,

Jeff

could be I guess. it was a few years old, but still new.

The visor system on the Arai is great...IF...you know how to use it correctly and have a lot of practice. I have seen one of my parts guys break off a set of side pods right at the parts counter trying to change a shield for a customer. After that I told him "let me do that from now on".

I've had customers who have owned their helmets for years and still don't trust themselves to change it properly.

Its a good system, but nowadays all the Arais come with a training CD-Rom which runs you through the process. I guarantee you that most of the people who sell Arais don't know how to change them efficiently. It takes alot of practice.

That being said, Arai is my favorite brand of helmet. If you have never tried on a new Arai (round oval, long oval or intermediate oval), don't even try to say that your OTHER helmet is more comfortable. Arai has the most comfortable helmets in the world if you get the correct one for your head. Period!

• Member Contributer

I currently use a HJC AC11 for my long head. If any of you know helmet fitment can you recommend an Arai modle to fit my head like the AC11 shape?

I don't like HJC that much, way too noisy.

• Member Contributer

This may be a dumbass question, but shouldn't a "good system" be easy to change, and not require loads of practice and/or a training CD? Especially considering they are mucho $$ ??

BTW - I'm just asking, cuz I've only got me an el cheapo HJC...

The visor system on the Arai is great...IF...you know how to use it correctly and have a lot of practice. I have seen one of my parts guys break off a set of side pods right at the parts counter trying to change a shield for a customer. After that I told him "let me do that from now on".

I've had customers who have owned their helmets for years and still don't trust themselves to change it properly.

Its a good system, but nowadays all the Arais come with a training CD-Rom which runs you through the process. I guarantee you that most of the people who sell Arais don't know how to change them efficiently. It takes alot of practice.

That being said, Arai is my favorite brand of helmet. If you have never tried on a new Arai (round oval, long oval or intermediate oval), don't even try to say that your OTHER helmet is more comfortable. Arai has the most comfortable helmets in the world if you get the correct one for your head. Period!

I learned how to do mine in under 5 minutes. Once you see how to do it, it makes sense, and it's extremely easy.

I showed a buddy of mine how to do it with his, and he was amazed. I almost always take my visor off just to clean it. I can have it out in a couple of seconds, and right back in after a couple of seconds. A lot better than what I have seen on other helmets.

Later,

Jeff

I've never had any problems with my visor and I change it frequently. I have a dark visor and a clear visor and I change them for daytime/night time. I never even read how to do it and I get it on and off just fine.

cbar you make a valid point, one that many people use when knocking Arai...

How about the review of the corvette, Porche Boxter (and others), it was mentioned that the Boxter being the most fun to drive fast, was the hardest car to learn how to drive properly (or something to that effect smile.gif).

Point is that the Arai system, while somewhat difficult to master, works fine, with practice. And if you want an Arai, well you just have to get use to it I guess.

I'm perfectly happy with the 2 I've had. Only recently did I have to change the base pods on my Freddie Spencer Replica, I've used it for more then 5 years. I wish we could have like a class or something for those having a problem with the system cuz it's really easy once you get the hang of it. Hank

This may be a dumbass question, but shouldn't a "good system" be easy to change, and not require loads of practice and/or a training CD?  Especially considering they are mucho $$ ??

BTW - I'm just asking, cuz I've only got me an el cheapo HJC...

For the record, the very easiest "even a caveman could do it" to change faceshield system is the new HJC system. The CL-SP, CL-15 and AC-12 use it...even easier than the Shoei system.

I gotta say, over the years HJC has gotten a rap as a "cheap" helmet. Their new stuff is actually very nice. If you have written them off in the past as crap you may want to take another look if you are interested in anything under $250. The new shield system is the very best/easiest I have ever seen. And I've seen them all. They are actually very well made for a non-premium priced helmet.

But back on the Arai subject...VFR03silver has it right. An inexperienced driver in a old air-cooled 911 would likely crash when he lifted the throttle going into a turn. But a experienced one who knows the nuances is pure magic. Same with an Arai shield system on a much much smaller scale. wink.gif

Hey Joe, are you saying Arai makes different shape shells? I haven't tried a Arai for years, but I never found one that wouldn't smash my noise, chin & forehead.

I've worn Arai's for years, even back to my moto-x days with their "cool" looking plastic screw on face guard... (man, I loved that look), still using a Quantum F that I got several years ago. I've only had a few glitches with the visor system but for the most part it works very easily and I switch visors quite frequently between smoke and clear....

I've started to get interested in Nolan's as they have the flip up feature and I wear glasses so I like the convenience of the flip up, and after trying several Nolans on, I'm finding them to be fairly comfy as well.

It takes me awhile to get comfy with a helmet before I'll buy it... it will be hard to buy something other than an Arai...

Yeah...they are the only company that makes 3 different shell shapes for different heads.

Long Oval: Signet and Profile

Round Oval: Quantum and RX-7 series

Intermediate Oval: Astral series

Go try one on...now :P

Yeah...they are the only company that makes 3 different shell shapes for different heads.

Long Oval: Signet and Profile

Round Oval: Quantum and RX-7 series

Intermediate Oval: Astral series

Go try one on...now  :P

I'm guessing long oval for me, what do you know about the Signet & Profile? :beer:

Well the Profile replaces the Signet this year. So after a while you won't be able to buy the Signet anymore.

Go to arai.com and check the specs. The entire Arai line use similar construction techniques, liners and venting. Which is why they don't make a low-end helmet.

Joe

I've never had any problems with my visor and I change it frequently.  I have a dark visor and a clear visor and I change them for daytime/night time.  I never even read how to do it and I get it on and off just fine.

+1.gif Gotta say I don't get it either. I also change from dark to clear as dusk comes in. Lately, I have been doing this without taking the helmet off, sometimes without turning the motor off - I'm stopped of course. In some ways it is easier to change the visor with the helmet on - I can raise the levers with my thumbs while holding onto and rotating the visor with both hands - my head acts as a third hand. :beer:

I suppose the big thing is that when raising the levers and rotating the shield it FEELS, SOUNDS and LOOKS like you are breaking the plastic pods. Ya gotta get past that. :lol:

Having said that I lost my right pod without warning two years ago. BUT, the Arai visor has a retaining function so that it cannot blow off while closed. So, I didn't realise that the pod side was missing until I got into a small town and raised the visor to get some eye-breeze.

Well the Profile replaces the Signet this year. So after a while you won't be able to buy the Signet anymore.

Go to arai.com and check the specs. The entire Arai line use similar construction techniques, liners and venting. Which is why they don't make a low-end helmet.

Joe

Archived