New TopBox INSTRUCTIONS SUCK!!!

gbryant

• Member Contributer

I purchased a HondaLine top box and mounting bracket from David Silver Spares.... the instructions are really bad. I have most of it together from looking at the pictures... but I cannot figure out where the rubber strap goes. It looks like a safety strap or ???.

Can anyone help?

The rubber strap is not required with the top box. I went through the same nightmare as you a couple of weeks ago.

DSC00733.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

12-topcaserackedited.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

11-georges.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I took these pictures of a fellow member's bike (Gmicklus). I hope it helps.

I don't know where the strap goes.

But I hate ESL insructions. :pissed:

At least you got a drawing. :pissed:

I'd like a top box if it could be mounted much farther forward, just above the passenger seat and barely high enough to permit easy seat removal. I'd be concerned that if it is mounted so high and so far back that it would interfere with the handling of the bike.

I'd like a top box if it could be mounted much farther forward, just above the passenger seat and barely high enough to permit easy seat removal.  I'd be concerned that if it is mounted so high and so far back that it would interfere with the handling of the bike.

it kinda does, but not all by its self. ive had it loaded down and i dont really notice it but when the little woman is on the back she likes to lean back on the box which makes the bike handle pretty wobbly at low speeds but once you get going its not noticable.

The only problem I've ever had with handling issues regarding my top box was when it was heavily loaded down and there were some real extreme cross winds on the interstate I was riding along. Basically, the conditions were so yucky that riding with no luggage or passenger would have been a chore anyhow. But yes, in such conditions the top box does seem to cause the bike a little bit more of a lateral sway.

• Member Contributer
The rubber strap is not required with the top box. I went through the same nightmare as you a couple of weeks ago.

DSC00733.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

If you don't mind... I have a couple more questions.

The rubber grommets that have approximately 1" hole... what are they for?

The smaller grommets that fit onto opposing studs... what are they for?

These apparently useless things drive me nuts!!! :pissed:

Also... isn't it funny how a thread evolves... :D

thanks...

• Member Contributer

If you are riding one up and want to remove the TopBox "swing" factor, you might be able to mount the stock box over the back seat and directly above the rear wheel axle. I found this virtually removes the box as a factor in anything but the nastiest cross wind on a GIVI V46 box. Kanadian Ken has mounted his top box high enough to allow seat removal, but I stuck to the lower profile for aesthetics.

gallery_5686_1088_61848.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Ride 1.JPG

You can check my gallery for shots of the brackets used.

• Member Contributer

Got it all mounted... here is a link to my pics.

With the luggage loaded , the front gets a little light... I would reccomend heaver items distributed equally between the sides and lighter items in the top box.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gbryant226@s...l.net/my_photos

• Member Contributer
gbryant,

Did you make or buy the Keyswitch Bracket for XM? Also what mount are you using for your Radar detector.

Thanks.

Extreme Justice

gallery_4518_465_7325.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Cycle Gadget Tech Mount

http://cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=HG

A member here made the keyswitch mount for me... I can't remember who... I've been searching my old threads.. no luck.

I believe the he originally posted the mount for use with a voltage meter.

I made the key switch mount for the XM radio. How is it holding up by the way? Mine for the voltage meter is working great, hope you have the same results.

My apologies for going off topic, but I just wanted to answer the question.

• Member Contributer
I made the key switch mount for the XM radio. How is it holding up by the way? Mine for the voltage meter is working great, hope you have the same results.

Yup.. seadooloo made it!!! :D

I love it! It makes the XM look like its OEM.

Thanks... again...

12-topcaserackedited.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

11-georges.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I took these pictures of a fellow member's bike (Gmicklus).  I hope it helps.

Is it just me, or does that top box look extra gigantic or something. :goofy:

I wish they'ed come up with some less .....uhhhh large and more aerodynamic.

Beck

95 VFR

If you don't mind... I have a couple more questions.

The rubber grommets that have approximately 1" hole... what are they for?

The smaller grommets that fit onto opposing studs... what are they for?

These apparently useless things drive me nuts!!!    :goofy:

Also... isn't it funny how a thread evolves...    :D

thanks...

Actually, you kind of need those. If you noticed, the top-box kinda of floats on the bracket. These rubber pieces act as suspension for it. The rubber grommets with the 1" hole fit between the mounting plate and the top-box plate, next to the 1" holes in the top-box plate. The smaller grommets (if they are the pieces i'm thinking of), act as side-to-side suspension. They hook into the mounting plate.

I ended up have a ton of bolts and nuts leftover when I finished. The instructions are pretty pathetic.

• Member Contributer
Actually, you kind of need those.  If you noticed, the top-box kinda of floats on the bracket.  These rubber pieces act as suspension for it.  The rubber grommets with the 1" hole fit between the mounting plate and the top-box plate, next to the 1" holes in the top-box plate.  The smaller grommets (if they are the pieces i'm thinking of), act as side-to-side suspension.  They hook into the mounting plate.

I ended up have a ton of bolts and nuts leftover when I finished.  The instructions are pretty pathetic.

Yup... thats where I put them... had to guess, since the INSTRUCTIONS SUCK!!!

:D :D :D

• Member Contributer

Not sure how you guys manage with a top box. I had a Givi wingrack and E360 bags on my '96 CBR1000F and at times I rode with just a single bag on the top rack and it made my big 'ole CBR squirly. I can imagine what it would do with a VFR. Of course I believe a common nickname that could be applied to the steel framed CBR1000F is "flexible flyer" smile.gif Still, I do miss that bike!

1996cbr1000.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Archived