Changed my first tire

gbryant

• Member Contributer

Today I bought the Harbor Freight tire changer (manual)

Cool!!!

NOT!!!

I didn't think I'd ever get the freakin tire on the rim!!! I used the tire iron that came with the setup... was that my mistake? Should I buy a better tire iron? It took two of us to hold down the tire on one side so that I could get the other side seated.

Well... in doing all this , I boogered (I think thats a word... oh well if its not I'll run for President) up my rim. I think after I practice a few more times, and manage to keep from screwin up rims, I'll buy a new one.

YES... I used plenty of soapy water...

HS... this is the same tire changer you use, should I not use the supplied tire iron?

• Member Contributer

I just spooned on a new set of PPowers for my trip tonight. 1st tire change and balance probably took me 4 hours, 8 smashed fingers, 15 dropped tire irons.

2nd change took 2 hours, 1 smashed finger, 2 dropped tire irons (when the bead fully seated both times).

It helps to have an extra tire iron to stick in the bead to keep it from sliding back off as you are putting on the other side, also rim savers. I use antifreeze for lube and it works well. The key to all of it is making sure both beads around the entire tire are squeezed together in the center of the rim.

It gets much easier with practice, don't worry. Hell even at 2 hours, it is faster than having to go to a shop, during business hours, and waiting 1.5-3.5 hours for them to do it.

ETA: Now, the actual removal/install process, from having the wheels off the bike to new tires installed on wheels is about 20 minutes to break bead, remove, install.

• Member Contributer
I just spooned on a new set of PPowers for my trip tonight. 1st tire change and balance probably took me 4 hours, 8 smashed fingers, 15 dropped tire irons.

2nd change took 2 hours, 1 smashed finger, 2 dropped tire irons (when the bead fully seated both times).

It helps to have an extra tire iron to stick in the bead to keep it from sliding back off as you are putting on the other side, also rim savers. I use antifreeze for lube and it works well. The key to all of it is making sure both beads around the entire tire are squeezed together in the center of the rim.

It gets much easier with practice, don't worry. Hell even at 2 hours, it is faster than having to go to a shop, during business hours, and waiting 1.5-3.5 hours for them to do it.

ETA: Now, the actual removal/install process, from having the wheels off the bike to new tires installed on wheels is about 20 minutes to break bead, remove, install.

What irons do you recommend?

jeremy556

Order your tires and have them sent to my address.

Then go for a ride up to the twisties and mount and ballance them. (20 mins)

Then ride back home with scuffed tires.

I looked at the HF model. One of the BRC members bought one.

Let's just say... He even brings his Harley over to do the tires.

( A lot of Harley riders bring there sh1t to my house to get the tires done. GOD, I hate those slow noisey POS')

The right tool for the job... Is NOT made in China!

I have never seen a buggered up wheel come off of a Coats machine.

Errr... Well yes, I saw a guy in a shop not use the nylon protectors... ooooooouuuuch.

• Member Contributer
jeremy556

( A lot of Harley riders bring there sh1t to my house to get the tires done. GOD, I hate those slow noisey POS')

Errr... Well yes, I saw a guy in a shop not use the nylon protectors... ooooooouuuuch.

Nylon protectors???? AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Where do I get these?

• Member Contributer
jeremy556

My wife is going to kick my ass now, I spent money on a tire changer and static balancer and have the changer mounted taking up room in the garage, just to mount them somewhere else.

I may take you up on it, but I am now buying tires from a local guy (JoeW) he gives me a great price on everything (usually lower than any place online), and that is a long cage ride up to Brooksville... unless I can figure a way to carry the tires on the bike :idea3:

• Member Contributer
Nylon protectors????  AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Where do I get these?

I foget where I got mine, but ordered somewhere online. I also bought a motion pro tire iron, stick on wheel weights, and a valve core remover at the same time. Most online shops should them.

I know Miguel uses milk bottle or something, but these protectors I got are real nice and clip onto the edge of the rim. Just don't lose them inside the tire :P

Guest Fretka

3 tire irons, longer-better, rim-protectors (cheap $15. or so) soapy water, 2 knees, 3 cuss words and about 20 minutes should do the deed!

I use my 6' vise to break the bead on the old tire (both front and rear).

Street tires are a piece o cake compared to dirtbike tires! BTW- fingers don't make good tire irons!

• Forum CEO

Nope I dont use the big iron they supply but rather 3 small irons that I got from my local shop. Well sometimes I do, I find if you lift up on the bar as your seating it it can really pop that last bit of bead in, still using the smaller irons to do most the work, I never try to turn that big handle on the wheel it will rip away at your rims. It is important to push the bead into the middle of the wheel well where the circumfrence of the wheel is the smallest. If you look inside the wheel you will see its sort of concave and its in the center where you want to push the tire into as you seat the bead on the opposite side.

Mind you I do this all alone with no help and well its not that difficult but it takes some strength. I actually use antifreeze as my lube cause it works really well. I put one iron in then another and kind of leap frog them, when I am close to getting the bead in I beat on the tire with the palm of my hand and force it in. I sort of lean on the tire to keep the bead into the middle of the wheel, You have to mandhandle it sometimes.

It takes practice and NO it doesnt take me over an hour, I got it down to 50 min start to finish for Both Tires, including balance. Sometimes I clean up the rims and scrub them and polish. Of course it took me about 30 sets of tires to get that fast and I seem to have it down and can go about it very efficiently. It took me longer to put on a friends 190 tire on his gixxer but we both worked on that one and it still wasnt and hour. It took longer to get it off the bike than to get the tire on the wheel. No stand so we had to improvise with a couple of jack stands and a big metal rod.

• Member Contributer

I made a device that looks like the bead breaker that's mounted on the side of a good tire machine. It has acme threads on the rod and enough adjustabillity to do bicycle tires up to small car tires. I have 5 tire spoons. The nylon protectors I have are Motion pro. I use silicone spray for the lubricant. To all who haven't had someone show them how to do this: go find a tire shop that still does some manual changing and spend some time watching. Without knowing some tricks, you'll ruin some stuff and become so frustrated that you'll need a new hobby.

• Member Contributer
So when is the next BRC shooting day?????  i sold the ar-15, but i still have the .454 for serp to shoot  :D  does he still belt himself to the bench??

I just sold my M82A1, AR10T, Benelli, and most of the other toys unfortunately. I am now down to a single rifle, single shotgun, and a few pistols. Still can't wait for the next range day. I figure I can get my 16" upper of my AR in a back pack and strap to the seat and have the lower, ammo, optics, etc in the trunk.

Here is the linky to BRC Tire change thread.

I usually change tires for ten bucks. It helps pay for the tools.

That is on or off the bike. Most people ride up and we do it together.

A lot of people never work on their machine so I make them do the wrenching.

It gives them a nice sense of accomplishment once the new tires are on and they did it.

Brooksville Riders Club

Archived