Rear tire coming off

Guest goldVFR

Guest goldVFR

During my pre-ride inspection yesterday morning I noticed that my rear tire valve stem is leaking pressure.

So I am bringing the rear tire in on Monday for a valve stem replacement. Here are my few questions:

1) I read the ownners and service manuals. I guess removing the rear tire should be real simple. My exhauast is already ouf of the way, so tomorrow I plant to: put the bike on centerstand, put the tranny in neutral, remove the four lug nuts (with a 19mm socket on a ratchet) slide the tire out. To install it back on, slide the tire in, tighten the lug nuts.

Anything I should look out for, or avoid? (I don't mean to sound stupid, first time doing it so I wanna make sure I do it right), should I put the bike in gear?

2) I heard about valve-stems that have a color that shows if you have the right pressue. Anyone use these? do you recommend?

3) I do not own a torque wrench. When I install the tires, I plan to tighten the lug nuts as much as possible with my ratchet. After that I plan to borrow a buddy's torque wrench to check the torque on the lug nuts. But I will probably ride the bike a good 150 miles before I borrow a torque wrench. Any issues here? Should I not ride the bike unless I know for sure the lug nuts are at 80ft.lbs? (again sorry if I am sounding stupid)

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

I know it's crude but before I got a torque wrench I just went by feel and said to myself does this feel like I'm lifting such and such pounds. I made it about 18,000 miles and three rear tires like that so I'd say you'll be alright till you can get to a torque wrench. The rear wheel removal is real easy just break the lugs loose while the wheel is on the ground, then put on centerstand to loosen the rest of the way.

• Member Contributer

:rolleyes:

Yeah, try to take the lugs off with the bike on centerstand and in neutral and you may run into issues.

I'd leave it in gear and on two wheels to break the lugs loose. Same as a car.

Also want to final tighten them the same way.

• Member Contributer

I would put the bike in gear to remove the lug nuts while on center stand, may be difficult otherwise :rolleyes:

Those valve stems aren't terribly useful IMHO, as they don't tell you what you pressure is, just if you are below X. You should check pressure at least once a week or every time you ride, it is really easy to do while bike is warming up.

Buy a torque wrench. Even a cheap one is a LOT better than none at all. You are not going to do any damage on the wheel lug nuts with a ratchet - you should be fine. Just don't go crazy with a 24" breaker bar or anything.

• Member Contributer

I always put mine on the centerstand in gear to break 'em loose...no problems so far.

And as for tightening the lugs, I use the stubby little factory lug wrench...cause that's what I'll be using to remove them on the side of the road. I've been with some Beemer guys who use (or used to use) a breaker bar to tighten their lug nuts, then had a flat and tried to use the shorty lug wrench to remove them on the road...ain't happenin'.

Make absolutely certain that the shop uses the shortest rubber valve stem they have.

And when you get the wheel back on and tightened, rotate the wheel by hand and check that the valvestem does not contact the rear brake caliper.

Many a VFR rider has gotten bit by that one. Shop installs long valvestem, owner mounts wheel, goes for ride, rips valvestem right out of rim. Walks home. sad.gif

That is, if you don't crash first. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

You can break them while it sits on the ground, first. Then put it up on the centerstand. Avoids any accidental damage to your transmission should you have a He-Man moment while doing so. Then put it gear to loosen and remove your lugs.

So I first loosened the lug nuts with the bike on 2 wheels and in gear, then put it on the center stand, and removed the lugnuts without much trouble (in gear).

So I got the tire off without much trouble.

Unfortunately, I can't get it completely off the bike because my pipe is in the way:

This pic shows where my pipe is to give you an idea what I am dealing with:

gallery_5567_767_333035.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSCF0011.JPG

There does not seem to be enough room to slide the tire out between the pipe and where the wheel catches the rear brake. sad.gif Started taking the pipe off but ran out of time today. This sucks.

• Member Contributer
So I first loosened the lug nuts with the bike on 2 wheels and in gear, then put it on the center stand, and removed the lugnuts without much trouble (in gear).

So I got the tire off without much trouble.

Unfortunately, I can't get it completely off the bike because my pipe is in the way:

This pic shows where my pipe is to give you an idea what I am dealing with:

gallery_5567_767_333035.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSCF0011.JPG

There does not seem to be enough room to slide the tire out between the pipe and where the wheel catches the rear brake.    sad.gif  Started taking the pipe off but ran out of time today.  This sucks.

Surely someone with a 5th gen can comment on this one. Would it help if you unweighted the rear suspension somehow?

• Member Contributer

I've seen pics of Miguel changing his rear and he just loosens the clamp at the colletor and unbolts the can's bracket then swings the pipe away from the bike a little without having to completely remove it.

Found the pic:

tire03.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I would put the bike on the center stand and pop the lugs off with my impact.

Then I would cut the valve stem off and drain the air.

Next I would remove half of the tire with my Coats 220 tire changer and install a new valve stem.

Now I would put the tire back on the wheel and air it up to seat the bead.

After that I would place the new valve into the stem and put the right amount of air in the tire.

Once I have air in the tire I would place the wheel on the Snap-On balancer, spin it and apply the recommended weight.

Finally, I would put the wheel back on the bike and snug up the lugs with the impact and

double check them with a breaker bar.

Wait... Most of you guys don't have these tools for your VFR, Do you?

Well bring it to Florida, you can use my tools.

tirechange.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

• Member Contributer
Surely someone with a 5th gen can comment on this one.  Would it help if you unweighted the rear suspension somehow?

Uh yeah, take off the pipe. What are you special, like Tok Tokkie or someone...LOL?

Next I would remove half of the tire with my Coats 220 tire changer and install a new valve stem.

After that I would place the new valve into the stem and put the right amount of air in the tire.

Once I have air in the tire I would place the wheel on the Snap-On balancer, spin it and apply the recommended weight.

Finally, I would put the wheel back on the bike and snug up the lugs with the impact and 

Show off ! <_<

:thumbsup:

• Member Contributer

Missed the part where you took the wheel off the bike with the muffler still on. Missed the part where you explained why you cut a perfectly good 90 degree valve stem instead of using the core removal tool.

Look at the picture of his bike...

He doesn't have a 90* valve stem. It is rubber.

I would hope that the pipe is already removed.

If not On mine I would remove the 13mm mounting bolt under the seat and pull the two springs...

Seems that we all have different exhausts, huh?

With a lowmount pipe, you'll probably have to remove the muffler to get the wheel out of there.

With my Micron highmount, I can do it without removing the pipe, but you have to turn the wheel "just so" to clear the brake rotor.

EDIT: sorry, I looked at the pic again, and you do have a highmount, but it looks to not he quite as tucked up as my Micron is. You still may need to remove it in that case.

• Member Contributer
Look at the picture of his bike...

He doesn't have a 90* valve stem. It is rubber.

I would hope that the pipe is already removed.

If not On mine I would remove the 13mm mounting bolt under the seat and pull the two springs...

Seems that we all have different exhausts, huh?

I just figured since the main concern in the post was about getting the tire past the pipe, and you were happy to address everything other than that, and describe tools and equipment not mentioned in the original, I would continue the theme of not helping. :goofy:

Uh yeah, take off the pipe.  What are you special, like Tok Tokkie or someone...LOL?

Alright alright :P

so the pipe is off, the tire is off, it took a little more than I had hoped but it's done. By looking at it I had thought my pipe was out of the way but I guess not.

Inspite of all this though, I think we have it much easier than most others, the single sided swing arm and the center stand make this process a lot easier.

thanks guys for the help and comments.

I was just trying to be an a$$ho1e as usual.

As 767FIXER will tell you, I play the part well.

Of coarse we're shooting buddies and his target is fair game.

Archived