technical info

tjclyde

Howdy yall. smile.gif

I have a friend who has a... GOD shall I say it...a Bussa.

There ok I said it, he has a Bussa.

He dropped it about an inch and told me that it made a great difference in the weight distrubution.

I'm 5'7" and am only touching the ground with 3/4 of my foot pad, or what ever you want to call it.

Has anyone lowered the vfr?

I have a 2002.

Let me know...thanks.

T.J

I have a 5th gen and I lowered the front about 7mm and turn in was shall we say: crisper! I like the change. Do a search. This issue has been covered some.

Something that I don't think has been addressed is the possibility of lowering the rear of the VFR as well (5th and 6th gens only) by reversing the eccentric. This would result in around 20mm reduction in height, and wouldn't interfere with the suspension the way that changes to the dogbones would. All that should be required is some work on the wheel bolts to recess the heads. I think...

• Member Contributer
Something that I don't think has been addressed is the possibility of lowering the rear of the VFR as well (5th and 6th gens only) by reversing the eccentric. This would result in around 20mm reduction in height, and wouldn't interfere with the suspension the way that changes to the dogbones would. All that should be required is some work on the wheel bolts to recess the heads. I think...

Might also need to shorten the kickstand or risk tipovers. A tipover can set you back about $1800. Don't ask me how I know!

Isn't this mod generally done the other way - ie to raise the ride height ?

In other words is the eccentric at it's low position normally ?

Rod

• Member Contributer
Howdy yall. smile.gif

I have a friend who has a... GOD shall I say it...a Bussa.

There ok I said it, he has a Bussa.

He dropped it about an inch and told me that it made a great difference in the weight distrubution.

I'm 5'7" and  am only touching the ground with 3/4 of my foot pad, or what ever you want to call it.

Has anyone lowered the vfr?

I have a 2002.

Let me know...thanks.

T.J

MCT54 (Randy) is a member here. He makes a beautiful kit for around $250 that includes a longer dogbone, shorter kickstand and spacers for the fork tubes (you drop them in the triple clamp to keep the ride correct). I, and others, have installed it and am very happy with the results.

Randy's email: MCT54@excite.com

Sean has a good layout of how the kit is installed:

http://www.redtekconsulting.com/VFR/

I expect to pick up my new VFR later this afternoon. It would be ready except that I'm having the seat shaved down a bit. If that isn't enough, I may consider having the bike lowered by about 0.5 inches. With no modifications, I can get both toes down, but can't quite get my heels down. I realize that some riders seem happy if they can get the tip of only one toe down, but I don't feel confident unless I can flat foot it on both sides. The risk of dropping it on imperfect surfaces is just too great.

Might also need to shorten the kickstand or risk tipovers. A tipover can set you back about $1800. Don't ask me how I know!

An important factor in the cost of insurance seems to be the cost of repairing damage to a dropped bike. Because many prospective owners take the cost of insurance into account when deciding which bike to buy, one would think that designing bikes to minimize the cost of damage resulting from dropping the bike would increase sales. It is unclear why manufacturers don't consider that when designing bikes.

I'm having frame sliders installed, but surely bike manufacturers would be able to design better frame sliders than those available from accessory manufacturers. The cylindrical plastic posts used as sliders are less effective than sliders designed by bike manufacturers would be. It seems to me that really good sliders would be roughly rectangular with tapered ends and designed to be replaced easily. Ideally, frames would be designed to accomodate sliders.

Of course, bikes should never be dropped, but we know that it happens.

Remove and rotate both lower shock linkage "triangle plates" so that the arrow on the plate points upward and back instead of toward the front.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...wtopic=10853&hl

You should also raise the front forks in the triple clamps a like amount to how much the rear was lowered (take before/after measurements).

I've raised the forks about 5mm to improve the turn-in and stability in a turn on my 2005. It made a big difference in the handling.

Archived