8 Spoke rear question

teleskier

• Member Contributer

I just won an 8 spoke rear on Ebay which is the silver color. Does anyone know if I strip the rim like I did on my 5th and 6th gen if it will have the same silver anodized underneath?

I just won an 8 spoke rear on Ebay which is the silver color. Does anyone know if I strip the rim like I did on my 5th and 6th gen if it will have the same silver anodized underneath?

AFAIK, they're all clear anodised under the paint. When I stripped the (white) 8-spoker on my 1990 VFR, it was clear anodised underneath. It was also a little corroded in places, presumably where something had got under the paint, maybe on its previous life in Japan.

• Member Contributer

I was willing to pay just about anything. Lots of bidding right at the end. I think I got it for $325.

Anyone else want to chime in on thoughts of whats under the silver paint?

I dunno what's under the paint, but whatever it was would look stunning powdercoated this color...

gallery_6079_915_188492.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

word...

I was willing to pay just about anything. Lots of bidding right at the end. I think I got it for $325.

That ain't bad. Any other wheel for a 90-93 Brand XYZ sportbike would go cheap, but there's a niche market for the VFR 8-spokers.

IIRC, I paid about $325 or $350 Cdn for mine 5 years ago.

IIRC, I paid about $325 or $350 Cdn for mine 5 years ago.

I'd call that big cheese...

Canadian dollars, is that like Metric dollars?

• Member Contributer
I dunno what's under the paint, but whatever it was would look stunning powdercoated this color...

word...

what color is that? Is that the Chrome Smoke? If so, I have one bike done that way and it looks nothing like that. That pics has a gold tint to it.

• Member Contributer

somwhere yes I have a pic of the chrome smoke. So do a few others on here if they see this before I can get one posted.

Anyone else please chime in on my original question please.

• Member Contributer

Chrome Smoke Powder coat in daylight

gallery_4651_468_23365.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

pcrim1.jpg

• Member Contributer

still very silvery in nature. Definitely not with the gold tint that the other posted photograph depicts. It also depends on what you are spraying over from what I understand too.

I can't believe no one else can chime in as to what I can find under the silver paint on an 8 spoke. Come on guys, some one has had to strip theirs by now!!!

There was a 3rd gen with stripped rim-lips in the Whithorse catalog but the pics were in black and white and only of the front wheel.

If the owner, Jon, has become a member (invited by Chris9229(I think)), I'm sure he could answer this ...

How's that for a direct answer :goofy:

still very silvery in nature. Definitely not with the gold tint that the other posted photograph depicts. It also depends on what you are spraying over from what I understand too.

The other photo was probably under tungsten lighting - if you look, the goldish bits (that lead you to think the whole thing's goldy) are where the light is reflecting off it.

I can't believe no one else can chime in as to what I can find under the silver paint on an 8 spoke. Come on guys, some one has had to strip theirs by now!!!

So what - was my answer no good?

ALL Honda's wheels are apparently clear anodised, no matter what colour (or color/kolor/kulla) is on top.

• Member Contributer

no...your answer was fine, just looking for someone to confirm again. Never hurts to have a second opinion.

• Member Contributer

word...

vfrmonkey,

Is that a Blue viffer in the background? Are you going to the faster color?

vince

• Member Contributer

SAFE T has a couple of nice pics in his gallery regarding stripping the silver/OEM paint from rims. Once stripped, the rims will shine, but the spokes are cast and will have a light gray anodizing. I had my 8 spoker stripped, but wanted more contrast between the rim and spokes.

As mentioned above, mine had some corrosion under the paint from many years of exposure. Nothing a little buffing and a nice coat of ultra charcoal couldn't fix!

Here is the original 8:

gallery_2785_1033_1246807.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSC00458.JPG

Now, after a little TLC

gallery_2785_1033_543216.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSC03877.JPG

Good luck, oh, I dig the 8 spoke..... :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
SAFE T has a couple of nice pics in his gallery regarding stripping the silver/OEM paint from rims.  Once stripped, the rims will shine, but the spokes are cast and will have a light gray anodizing.  I had my 8 spoker stripped, but wanted more contrast between the rim and spokes.

As mentioned above, mine had some corrosion under the paint from many years of exposure.  Nothing a little buffing and a nice coat of ultra charcoal couldn't fix!

Here is the original 8:

gallery_2785_1033_1246807.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSC00458.JPG

Now, after a little TLC

gallery_2785_1033_543216.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSC03877.JPG

Good luck, oh, I dig the 8 spoke..... :thumbsup:

yes I have stripped a couple of rims and am familiar with the cast spokes. So I take it the spokes on the 8 spoke are cast as well? but the outer lips are shiney? No sexual comments guys...

I am toying with the idea of other colors for it. I have a yellow bike so I'm thinking something in an anodized powder coat. Not sure what color though. I am going to start a new thread and hopefully get some help from someone proficient in Photoshop.

Yeah, the whole things cast, but before Honda clear anodise it, they polish the rims.

gallery_3710_217_56587.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

VFR750 Shows stripped'n'polished rear wheel, with Avon Azaro tyre.

gallery_3710_217_29789.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

VFR750front.jpg Front wheel after stripping.

• Member Contributer
Yeah, the whole things cast, but before Honda clear anodise it, they polish the rims

Close. The entire wheel is bright silver anodized under the paint. The hoop and flat surfaces are machined areas that are smoother and therefore those parts look 'polished' although you can see the machine lines closer up. From 4 ft away they look almost identical to a polished wheel.

gallery_654_61_16665.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

90-93 rear A.jpg Stripped third gen. wheel

gallery_654_61_24595.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

4th gen VFR rear, '00-'01 RC51 front

gallery_654_61_25646.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

98-05 rear B.jpg

gallery_654_61_21771.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

98-05 rear A.jpg

The '02 and newer RC51 front wheel looks similar to the '98-'06 VFR rear wheel under the paint. BlueViffer has one on his bike.

• Member Contributer

So do the RC51 rims fit a 5th gen with direct bolt on of the rotors etc or are there modifications that are necessary?

Thanks for the pics. Do you know if you have one anywhere straight on of the 8 spoke?

Archived