Helmets and Head Shapes

ProMed

• Member Contributer

Could anyone share their experiences with their head shape verses the different brands of helmets? I am currently wearing a size Large HJC but it squeezes my head at the front and rear.

I really like the Scorpion EXO-700 but the review at http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/scorpion/ comments it being shaped more for round shaped heads as viewed from the front or back.

My freakish head is:

gallery_3942_353_520.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Egg Shaped as Viewed from Front or Top

More information on helmet sizing can be found at:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-hel...-helmet-faq.htm

• Member Contributer

I had the same issue with all my helmets until I switched to Arai. I bought a Quantum F last year and it fit like butter...little pricey, but I was able to find a decent deal online and it's worth every penny as far as I am concerned.

• Member Contributer

The Arai Signet and its new replacement, the Profile, are long ovals as is the Corsair.

The Arai Quantum II is more rounded, but still fairly oval shaped. I think they call it a round oval. The Shoei lids I've tried are a bit more round than the Quantum II, but I understand they've got some new shapes as well.

The Arai Astral is somewhere in between.

The Corsair fits me perfectly sized with an XL and thick padding, or a Large with thinner padding (I own the XL and thicker padding). The Quantum II is tight on my forehead and the chinbar touches my face. I've never tried an Astral. I also have an HJC CL-14 which fits decently.

Guest vfrrider

It would be really great if someone, maybe the manufacturer's would tell us the shape when we are shopping.

My HJC Symax is a littel tight on the forehead, but I do not know if that makes me a round head or not.

maybe the board would like to start a list?

Larry

VFRrider :idea3:

• Member Contributer
It would be really great if someone, maybe the manufacturer's would tell us the shape when we are shopping.

Arai does exactly that unless the information has been removed from their website. They also want you to be custom fitted by an experienced person. If you could make it to the Honda Hoot, or a major AMA race, Arai will likely have a booth and fit you. They get a lot of flack for their no-internet sales policy (which I've heard will be rescended), but they also go farther for a custom fit than anybody else too.

I had the same issue with all my helmets until I switched to Arai.  I bought a Quantum F last year and it fit like butter...little pricey, but I was able to find a decent deal online and it's worth every penny as far as I am concerned.

+1 :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
+1  :thumbsup:

I have had an Arai Signet since 2000. Just purchased a new Profile from The Service Pavilion -- they had a booth at the International Motorcycle Show. I tried on 9 different Arai styles and sizes at their booth before I settled on the Profile medium. They had me fill out a fit card; I could have bought it right then but wanted to hold off a few days. 3 weeks later, I called and ordered it 10% off retail list and free shipping -- arrived two days later. Could not be more pleased with The Service Pavilion. Great advice on fit and fast delivery. I could probably have paid less, but I don't mind paying for service I receive.

Compared to the Signet: wind noise about the same, but when I turn my head to the side, the buffeting is significantly less. On the Signet, when I would turn my head to the side (even slightly), the wind would really hit hard. Fit is very good; don't notice any difference between my old Signet and the Profile. The only brand of helmet I would have.

• 8 months later...

I also have a new Arai Profile Med, which is their most oval helmet...I like Shoei's usually, but the Profile fits w/o that arai forehead pressure on me & is softer up there. It also is taught on the face compared to my Shoei X-11 & Xtec & all other helmets I have owned.

• Member Contributer

This is such a hard thing to figure out online. It truly is best to get measured in a shop, and then ride with the new helmet for at least an hour. Or, if you know what does/doesn't work for someone else, you can figure it out by deductive reasoning.

So, on that note...

I have had the following in this order:

HJC CL-12 (size M): Did not fit well, but cheap. Major buffeting due to no rear spoiler. Noisy and heavy.

Arai Quantum/f (size M): Expensive, but great fit and confortable. It was much lighter. No buffeting due to the addition of a rear spoiler. It got a little big in season #6.

Currently Shark RSX (size M): At least as good or better than the Arai, but less expensive. Much lighter than the Arai. Better venting and quieter. Still no buffeting because of integrated rear spoiler.

So, what I'm trying to convey is, if an HJC doesn't fit, try something else. If the Arai Quantum fits, you might be able to get a Shark RSX for less, and end up with a better helmet. If none of the above work for you, try the many other brands.

• Member Contributer

I have an extra large oval melon attached to my shoulders. I've had 2 KBC's, 1 Arai, and 1 Bell that all left liner stitching prints down the center of my forehead and headaches after an hour or so. HJC's and Shoei's are now my favorites due to their perfect fit.

For me helmet are like shoes.......every brand and model fits me different. I wear a size 12 in some and as large as a 14w in others, it just varies. I would try as many on as you can and select from there. It should be comfy but snug! For me the Shoei X-11 was the best choice at the time.

I also had an HJC and it felt good until several hours and then it hurt the front two corners of my head.

I finally got an Arai Profile and have never been uncomfortable again. I do get a little more wind noise when the face shield is wide open, other than that it's very nice helmet.

Hope this helps.

• Member Contributer

Arai Profile for this long narrow head I have. Got it from Service Pavillion at Infineon last year. Great folks. The HJCs I had would hurt after a couple hours.

• Member Contributer
Could anyone share their experiences with their head shape verses the different brands of helmets? I am currently wearing a size Large HJC but it squeezes my head at the front and rear.

I really like the Scorpion EXO-700 but the review at http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/scorpion/ comments it being shaped more for round shaped heads as viewed from the front or back.

My freakish head is:

gallery_3942_353_520.jpg

Egg Shaped as Viewed from Front or Top

More information on helmet sizing can be found at:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-hel...-helmet-faq.htm

One word solution: Arai

On my second Quantum and 7 years of wearing Arais- much better, IMHO, than the Shoei's I wore for years - fits my fat round head like a glove :media:

• Member Contributer

I am an oval headed baby, and the Scorpion EXO-700 fits me very well. I've done 10 straight 10hr days, and had no helmet disomfort at all. Makes me a very happy camper, since I've had a hard time finding a well fitting helmet. Now that I am back in the market for a new helmet, I'll prolly try a Shark, or maybe just go back to the Scorpion.

Archived