Just spooned on some Sportec M3's

ULEWZ

I just bought some Metzeler M3's fresh off the truck. So far so good, but I didn't take a long enough ride to give a good eval yet. More to come. Anybody else try them yet? They are suppose to get 50% better wear than the M1's with better wet and dry grip. Turn in is fast, but predictable. smile.gif

• Member Contributer
I just bought some Metzeler M3's fresh off the truck. So far so good, but I didn't take a long enough ride to give a good eval yet. More to come. Anybody else try them yet? They are suppose to get 50% better wear than the M1's with better wet and dry grip. Turn it is fast, but predictable. 

What...you went riding without me :blink: :P

Good that you were able to get out before the rains B)

• Member Contributer
Throw down some miles on em so we can get some good feedback!  I'm wavering between these and the z6.

Have you considered the Pilot Powers?

There was a short review of the M3 in this months issue of Sport Rider. It recieved improved marks for track and wet performance. However, they mentioned that there wasn't much difference in wear between them and M1, which is my major gripe. My M1 rear tire evaporates way too fast. I definately want to here your opinions on the M3 and wear. As it stands right now I am leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Powers.

I've condisdered the michelins, but am not sure yet if I'll use them. They came on my tack f4i, the front being wasted in the center and rear being good, but the wheel took a hit so I'm unsure if it'll be ok yet. If so those will be the tires that end up on the vfr, with the street f4i getting the metzelers.

• Member Contributer
There was a short review of the M3 in this months issue of Sport Rider. It recieved improved marks for track and wet performance. However, they mentioned that there wasn't much difference in wear between them and M1, which is my major gripe. My M1 rear tire evaporates way too fast. I definately want to here your opinions on the M3 and wear. As it stands right now I am leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Powers.

at cycle gear the pilot powers are less by more than $50!!!!!!!!

How funny, Chuck. I was there today and was going to tell you the same thing. They are a little cheaper online but I don't want to wait, and by the time I pay for shipping it will be close enough in price. I'll be picking up a set soon. I also stopped by the two Stealerships on the same road.

• Member Contributer
How funny, Chuck. I was there today and was going to tell you the same thing. They are a little cheaper online but I don't want to wait, and by the time I pay for shipping it will be close enough in price. I'll be picking up a set soon. I also stopped by the two Stealerships on the same road.

I just had a set of Powers shipped to my house for $231 total. Took them 4 days to ship from AZ to KY. Got them from swmototires.com

swmototires.com

:beer: for swmoto...........thats where I get mine...and have for a while. They always seem to be the cheapest when you factor in free shipping (when you order 2 or more tires). Order on Monday...........they're at your door on Wed.

I just had a set of Powers shipped to my house for $231 total. Took them 4 days to ship from AZ to KY. Got them from swmototires.com

Bought'em

Thanks for the link and advise. Overall they seem to be the cheapest and in

AZ as well so I should get them right quick. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
I just priced out M1s at the local honda shop for about $175 a set!  Forgot to price the M3s, but I'll be back this week to check.

I'm on my first set of M1's and will not repeat the purchase. They seem to work good, but they wear faster than any other Sport tire I've ever run. If I get 1600 miles from the rear I'll be surprised !

Pilot Powers feel even better and the rear will last me at least 30-40% longer, which is MAJOR ! :beer:

• Member Contributer

I ran 2 sets of M1s and got terrible mileage out of them, then switched to Pilot Roads about 18K miles ago. I put on some M3s on Sunday morning.

I am sure it is more a factor of ST tire to Sport tire, but the M3 is fantastic so far. I will try some Pilot Powers next, hopefully I can get around 3K miles out of one or the other and will stick with that one.

Spooned the Pilot Powers last Thursday, rode all weekend. First impressions, IMO this is a superior tire in every respect as compared to the M1. I can't speak to it as compared to the M3... yet. PP's very sticky and so far they are holding up much better than my M1's did at the same mileage. I'll try some M3's next or maybe some Dunlop Qualifiers.

Spooned the Pilot Powers last Thursday, rode all weekend. First impressions, IMO this is a superior tire in every respect as compared to the M1. I can't speak to it as compared to the M3... yet. PP's very sticky and so far they are holding up much better than my M1's did at the same mileage. I'll try some M3's next or maybe some Dunlop Qualifiers.

Yes, the PP are in my top two of all time Sport wise ! :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
The new tires never cease to amaze me. That's why I tried the M3s. I can't give a full report until I get to flog the bike.

What bike did you put them on? I thought you were still looking for another VFR after selling the CBR. Did I miss something?

• Member Contributer

I put some PP's on two weeks ago as well. I've just barely got them scrubbed in (about 1/4 strips left at 150 miles). It's been to cold around here (low 40's) for me to really lean them and feel confident, but I definitely noticed how much quicker the bike steers now. I am very impressed with the way the bike seems to fall into a lean. I previously had the OEM tires, 020's on it before. Looks like warm weather this weekend. Mid 60's. If it's dry, some of us are planning on doing some riding. Hopefully I will get a real good idea of how confident I feel on them then. I'm sure they will hold more than I have the nerve for, but I'm hoping that they will convince me to trust them unlike the previous tires.

I put some PP's on two weeks ago as well. I've just barely got them scrubbed in (about 1/4 strips left at 150 miles). It's been to cold around here (low 40's) for me to really lean them and feel confident, but I definitely noticed how much quicker the bike steers now. I am very impressed with the way the bike seems to fall into a lean. I previously had the OEM tires, 020's on it before. Looks like warm weather this weekend. Mid 60's. If it's dry, some of us are planning on doing some riding. Hopefully I will get a real good idea of how confident I feel on them then. I'm sure they will hold more than I have the nerve for, but I'm hoping that they will convince me to trust them unlike the previous tires.

These are very confidence inspiring tires IMO, within minutes I have no fear of them slipping even in below freezing temps. Most of the first few hours of my 400 mile loops this time of year with be in the 30-40's deg. range and these things have Never slipped once on me and I don't baby them period ! :P

PP are simply one of the Best tires you will ever run in any situation, wet, dry, cold, hot, lean, braking, turn in,etc. fantastic! :thumbsup:

I did break the back loose downshifting going into a tight corner this past weekend. Any tire under the circumstances would do the same. The PP's don't startle me when it happens as compared to the M1's, they feel more predictable. I scrubbed them Thursday and Friday so I could lean on them more aggressively on the weekend. This will most likely be the tire I use until something better comes out. It's a little early to determine that and I am anxously waiting to here a comprehensive review on the M3's when those of you have a chance.

Edit:

It just occurred to me, sorry ULEWZ didn't mean to jack your thread, but I am also very interested in the M3's.

All this is inspiring me to maybe dish out the extra few bucks and buy m3s rather than another set of m1s. I'd like to see the plus side of 3k miles out of a front for once. Not since the old f2 days has that happened. Might end up getting hooked up with low mile sets of pilot race and slicks for less than a new set of streets though, so might just be running another set of race tires on the street again.

• Member Contributer
PP are simply one of the Best tires you will ever run in any situation, wet, dry, cold, hot, lean, braking, turn in,etc. fantastic! :thumbsup:

+1.gif

Archived