Topbox mount brackets installed over pillion seat

KanadianKen

• Member Contributer

How would he put the small ladder in or out from the top box when he is already on the bike? :blink:

KKKen you could carry a small ladder in the top box so when getting on and off (the bike) you would have no problems.  :lurk:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer
How would he put the small ladder in or out  from the top box when he is already on the bike?  :blink:

Ken rides with a whole entourage, ready to do his bidding. Fluffers and all. :lurk:

Ken rides with a whole entourage, ready to do his bidding.  Fluffers and all. :blink:

YEah - and I even have to carry CBAR's sheep - I had to make a convertible top for the topbox. He loves his sheep and I hear that some of the riders from New Zealand are also quite fond of their wooly friends...... :lol:

• Member Contributer

You obviously havent been paying attention. Have you not seen Ken's fabrication abilities? Oh plus fixxer says Ken is very flexable. I dont want to know :lurk:

How would he put the small ladder in or out  from the top box when he is already on the bike?  :blink:

Guest Chris_VFR
Ken,

Fabulous work.?  :thumbsup:

I've never seen anyone put a Givi box in that position.? It looks really good.? I'd love to see a 3/4 shot of the bike with all of the bags on when it gets warmer...

Well done.

You never would have been the first! :P (maybe to post the pics, I'm fantastically slow to post pix)

Kudos though- it's a great installation. very clean with the new style baseplate.

I did a similar thing last year to my bike, with a Nonfang box. I'll post pics sooner or later. the brackets I made were higher, so seat on/ off wasn;t a problem. all the ozvfr guys on the WDGAFF at the Snowies saw it....!!

It's a great idea, I'm probably going to a genuine Givi system tho, with side cases. does someone have the smaller E21 cases on their VTEC?

Edited by Chris_VFR

Hey don't be hatin the sheep SheepFucker.gif border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I do be hatin' the sheeps.

I worked for two and a half years on a sheep station, torturing them in various ways. There was a sign in one yard that said:

DUMB SHEEP MAKE YOU NASTY

It was right.

I was mild-mannered, slow to anger, and a pleasantish sort of bloke before working there.

Now I'm a psycopath.

I do be hatin' the sheeps.

I worked for two and a half years on a sheep station, torturing them in various ways. There was a sign in one yard that said:

DUMB SHEEP MAKE YOU NASTY

It was right.

I was mild-mannered, slow to anger, and a pleasantish sort of bloke before working there.

Now I'm a psycopath.

Be easy on the sheep,they are just tired of being counted all night... :lol: :lol:

Guest zenwhipper

Bingo! That is what I've been wanting to do for SO long. That durn top box- cantilevered over the back of the bike - me hates the look. sad.gif

I like what you've come up with!! Really makes sense! Especially if you never have a pillion rider!

:thumbsup:

zw

I have made a new set of templates and am attempting to make a higher set of brackets - to clear the seat for removal purposes. Stay tuned for the results.... should be a day or two before I have them completed and installed.

• Member Contributer

Good luck with that Ken. You will be able to fill that sucker up with beer without affecting the handling of your bike. :rolleyes:

hcope 1 - sorry for the delay - i hadn't checked in on this thread......

I do not know the part number, but if you go to the GIVI website, the topplate is part of the FZ166 kit for topcases for the 2002 VFR.

hope that helps you..... :beer:

Ken

Hate to be a pain; but could you post a pic of the baseplate without the GIVI rack. I have a 2000 and need an idea how it looks.

Here you go........

DSC03535.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSC03536.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Hope that helps you....

• Member Contributer

Need to figure out part numbers for GIVI Base Plates? Here is a page from a Canadian Supplier that should help. The one for my VFR is an M-5. First row #3, $46.95CDN.

gallery_5686_1088_197001.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

GIVI Base Plates.jpg

Web Page

http://www.importationsthibault.com/2006/c...e&page=318&ac=1

I'm mounting a V46 Top Box using the bracket design from Ken. Fitted the brackets base plate and box last night. Nice.....Ken, you are my favourite. I made a modification to Ken's design that helps the "back bolt" problems (can't get a Allen key into the bolt) and makes fitting the brackets a snap. I cut slots in the bracket where it attaches to the Grab Handles. This allows some movement to align the bolts with the frame and establish a position that allows access to the back bolt with an Allen key. I also used spacers to raise the brackets up an inch above the Grab Handles. This removes the problem of the bracket sitting directly on the uneven profile of the Grab Handle.

The brackets are currently being painted and I'll have the whole istallation ready for a test ride this weekend. :D :D

Ken

Sorry, but you're dealing with an idiot here. What I really wanted to see is a pic of the fabricated brackets themselves. By the way, this is one of the best mods I've ever seen. Great job.

HEre's the brackets before being drilled for the top plate:

DSC03553.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSC03554.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I"m getting some new taller brackets made - will post those pictures after I get em installed.........

• Member Contributer

Here is a listing of Top Box Plates for GIVI product. My 2002 using the 3rd one in top row for a V46 Top Box, Model # M-5. If you have more than one bike and want to move a Top Box between them, you may need another style. Prices are in $CDN.

gallery_5686_1088_197001.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

GIVI Base Plates.jpg

• Member Contributer

Taking Ken's template I had a set of brackets made. I had two problems when mounting the brackets and then the top box. First, when the GIVI plate is attached to the brackets lining up the bolts to fit in the frame was a bit of a problem. And once I had fiddled about and got them mounted I had the same problem as Ken, couldn't get at the rear bolt with an Allan Key to tighten them. So I took everything apart and proceeded to change the hole that mates with the Grab Handles into slots.

On the second installation there was no problem lining up the bolts with the frame and there was enough movement to position the back bolts so they could be tightened on both sides with ease. Because it is easy to remove the bolts, it makes the issue of removing the brackets to get the seat off less of an issue.

Also, I used 1" spacers to raise the bracket off the Garb Handles. Now the brackets don't touch the grab handles and scuffing is eliminated.

gallery_5686_1088_61348.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

IMGP1652.JPG

gallery_5686_1088_47180.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

IMGP1653.JPG

gallery_5686_1088_14284.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

2 Spacers.JPG

gallery_5686_1088_70283.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

3 Handles-Spacers.JPG

gallery_5686_1088_4023.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

7 Side View.JPG

• Member Contributer
Also, I used 1" spacers to raise the bracket off the Garb Handles.  Now the brackets don't touch the grab handles and scuffing is eliminated.

gallery_5686_1088_14284.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

2 Spacers.JPG

Looks good!!!

I had wondered about some type of spacer but.....$7 for each??

• Member Contributer
They are from a Harley dealer see......lots of chrome on those spacers. :D

But that's $7 Canadian, less in $US dollars. I'm sure there are other solutions for spacers, but I want a fix that was fool proof and didn't require chasing around to find alternatives. They were there and I bought 'em.

Cdn Arctic..... those look great!!! :beer: could you please let us know what the cost was to have these made and if the individual would be willing to do another set for me?

Thanks

Keith