Garmin Quest

Guest Dalma

• Member Contributer

Having never owned a gps, I'm interested in the Quest 2. Can u mark out a route in the GPS for the day? Would this have to been done on the pc then uploaded to the Quest 2?

Much like highlighting a days ride on a map.

Found my answer

Route Planner lets you save 50 routes, specify via points, and preview turns

Cheers,

• Member Contributer

I have a silly question. Can anybody tell whether the RAM mount connected to the tank bolts might hinder a jastek powerlet steering head kit?

cheers

OK, as promised, pictures. As shown in the first pic, it is only slightly lower than the tach, so you don't have to look very far, combine that with audio driving directions and it is a minimal distraction.

Also, the RAM mount is shown how it connects to the tank bolts. You simply do not use the steel loop that it supposed to go around a handle bar. Only problem with this setup is the tank bolts are a little short. I am trying to locate some slightly longer ones as they only have a couple of threads catching but it is secure just a PITA to lift the tank.

P2270139.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

P2270143.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I have the tank Ram mount and from everything I can tell, I would think that it would. I put the power outlet on the left panel instead of the steering stem just for this reason. Perhaps if you got a 90 degree plug plugged into the steering stem you could get away with it.

• Member Contributer
I have the tank Ram mount and from everything I can tell, I would think that it would.  I put the power outlet on the left panel instead of the steering stem just for this reason.  Perhaps if you got a 90 degree plug plugged into the steering stem you could get away with it.

Unless one moves the mount backwards and closer to the tank? But how convenient would it be then to look at the gps's screen?

• Member Contributer
Having never owned a gps, I'm interested in the Quest 2. Can u mark out a route in the GPS for the day? Would this have to been done on the pc then uploaded to the Quest 2?

Much like highlighting a days ride on a map.

Found my answer 

Route Planner lets you save 50 routes, specify via points, and preview turns

Cheers,

You could swing the arm back to clear the plug, but I probably wouldn't recommend the combination, because you will have to look further down to see the screen than you already do. If you only use the plug rarely it might work out OK.

• Member Contributer
You could swing the arm back to clear the plug, but I probably wouldn't recommend the combination, because you will have to look further down to see the screen than you already do. If you only use the plug rarely it might work out OK.

Thanks for the info. Actually I was thinking of plugging my radar detector in it. Maybe I should get one of these... <_<

gallery_4546_1109_3930.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

RIGHT ANGLE CIGAR CABLE.jpg

gallery_4546_1109_1849.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DUAL CIGAR COIL CABLE.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • Forum CEO

I dropped mine out on the road dirbiking and cracked the case, then a month later the case broke even more. On my long trip to UTAH it stopped working, so I sent it into Garmin for repair - cost me nothing but shipping and I got it back today a brand new unit in perfect working order! Garmin Rocks!!

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer
Only problem with this setup is the tank bolts are a little short. I am trying to locate some slightly longer ones as they only have a couple of threads catching but it is secure just a PITA to lift the tank.

I like this set up for my upcoming Quest II that Mrs. Clause is getting for me :D. If there is a better setup, I'm all ears.

Since the stock tank bolts are a little short, has anyone found longer bolts.? Or should I even be worried?

I'm counting down the days until I can try and get lost!! :blink:

Thanks,

Jeff

• Member Contributer
I like this set up for my upcoming Quest II that Mrs. Clause is getting for me :D . If there is a better setup, I'm all ears.

Since the stock tank bolts are a little short, has anyone found longer bolts.? Or should I even be worried?

I'm counting down the days until I can try and get lost!! :blink:

Thanks,

Jeff

cut a notch out of the ram mount for the lip of the gas tank (you'll see when you do it), and the trick i found, is to loosen the rear tank bolts, then start the front bolts and tighten them all down.

• Member Contributer
cut a notch out of the ram mount for the lip of the gas tank (you'll see when you do it), and the trick i found, is to loosen the rear tank bolts, then start the front bolts and tighten them all down.

Thanks for the quick response, I will give it I shot when when I'm off during Christmas. Can't wait to try out the GPS.

• Member Contributer
I put longer bolts in mine. It's real easy to strip aluminum threads. My local John Deere or Ace hardware has bolts.

i have helicoils in both of my front tank mount bolt holes :joystick:

• Member Contributer
i have helicoils in both of my front tank mount bolt holes :joystick:

Is this due to stripped threads or a preventive measure? As the Dr. mentioned it may be easier to find longer bolts. If I were to locate bolts, I guess I get a bolt that is the distance of the mount plus the length of the stock bolt.

It keep several full states loaded at once all the time on mine. I currently have FL and GA. Before I Had KY, TN, Part of GA and Part of NC. Never had a problem keeping everything I needed loaded at once. I used the 5 1/2 inch Stem they have on GPSCity.com with the Trimount Plate. I had to have one that would sit up high enough when using my tank bag, but not look horrible when i'm not using my tankbag which is most of the time. Heres a couple pics of mine. No complains on Garmin Quest. Probably one of the best mod's I have on my bike, most useful atleast.

DSC00022-1.jpg

DSC02356.jpg

DSC02363.jpg

• Member Contributer
I used the 5 1/2 inch Stem they have on GPSCity.com with the Trimount Plate. I had to have one that would sit up high enough when using my tank bag, but not look horrible when i'm not using my tankbag which is most of the time. Heres a couple pics of mine. No complains on Garmin Quest. Probably one of the best mod's I have on my bike, most useful atleast.

DSC02356.jpg

By the looks of the picture and the name of the product that it goes into the triple clamp (remove cap). I tend to ride with my tank bag almost 100% of the time. I guess the tri mount is an option plate to buy if mounting more than one piece of electronics. What is like to see the guages and still be able to glance at the GPS without going off the road?

This is my first GPS, and the fact of trying to do some touring...I do like that roady you have :thumbsup:

I tried on GPSCity.com to locate the stem. Do you still have the part # ?

Without going out to your bike to take a picture, do you have a straight on (rider perspective) shot?

Thanks again,

Jeff

By the looks of the picture and the name of the product that it goes into the triple clamp (remove cap). I tend to ride with my tank bag almost 100% of the time. I guess the tri mount is an option plate to buy if mounting more than one piece of electronics. What is like to see the guages and still be able to glance at the GPS without going off the road?

This is my first GPS, and the fact of trying to do some touring...I do like that roady you have :thumbsup:

I tried on GPSCity.com to locate the stem. Do you still have the part # ?

Without going out to your bike to take a picture, do you have a straight on (rider perspective) shot?

Thanks again,

Jeff

Heres the part numbers for everything I ordered from the GPSCity.com:

1 - RAM Mount Aluminum 5.25'' Long Arm with Double 1'' dia Socket

(RAM-B-201U-C)

1 - RAM Mount Aluminum 1'' Ball 2.5'' dia Base Plate (RAM-B-202U)

1 - RAM Mount Zinc Coated 0.75'' to 1'' Round Rail U-Bolt Base with 1'' Ball

Aluminum Plate (RAM-B-231ZU)

1 - RAM Mount Plastic Triple Cradle Plate Adapter

Heres a pic from what I see from my perspective @ 6' 0" Tall. It works perfect for me, even with tank bag on which I put on for the pic since you said you use a tank bag most of the time. I have the Cortech 21-Liter tank bag. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

DSC02366.jpg

• Member Contributer
Heres the part numbers for everything I ordered from the GPSCity.com:

1 - RAM Mount Aluminum 5.25'' Long Arm with Double 1'' dia Socket

(RAM-B-201U-C)

1 - RAM Mount Aluminum 1'' Ball 2.5'' dia Base Plate (RAM-B-202U)

1 - RAM Mount Zinc Coated 0.75'' to 1'' Round Rail U-Bolt Base with 1'' Ball

Aluminum Plate (RAM-B-231ZU)

1 - RAM Mount Plastic Triple Cradle Plate Adapter

Heres a pic from what I see from my perspective @ 6' 0" Tall. It works perfect for me, even with tank bag on which I put on for the pic since you said you use a tank bag most of the time. I have the Cortech 21-Liter tank bag. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

That helps A LOT :thumbsup: . Did you put in longer tank bolts?

That helps A LOT :thumbsup: . Did you put in longer tank bolts?

No, I just used stock, but I probably should change them. I've had them out and back in probably 6 times since I've had this setup, no problems with threads so far. There's probably about 1/3 inch threads holding, it does the job as long as you don't overtighten.

• Member Contributer
No, I just used stock, but I probably should change them. I've had them out and back in probably 6 times since I've had this setup, no problems with threads so far. There's probably about 1/3 inch threads holding, it does the job as long as you don't overtighten.

I will definatley take care when tightening. It looks like this is the only way of mounting the Quest or similar. I may try the local hardware store for a little longer bolts but will wait and see when I put it on.

Did you cut the the ball to fit the tank as Jeremy556? It seems that be a must as the fit seems very tight.

Thanks,

Jeff

• Member Contributer

i just happen to have the ram mount off as my bike is disassembled, so i shot a picture of my 'modified' ram mount ball. not pretty but, it works.

ram1.jpg

ram2.jpg

• Member Contributer

Speaking about "not pretty"...............That hand looks like a good OUCH! Hope it's getting better?

Here is a mount I made for my "farkles". Very easy to fabricate out of square steel tubing. Cut, drill, file, spray paint and mount. All kinds of stuff can be attached to it. And being attached to the handlebars I've found is tjhe least vibration.

DSC_0003-vi.jpg

IMG_0519-vi.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks to everyone for sharing their pictures etc. This forum is very helpful :thumbsup: I think I am going to try the RAM mount and give it a shot.

Now I just have to wait for Christmas.

Archived