Garmin Quest

Guest Dalma

I have been looking at the Garmin Quest GPS's and have a question about the downloadable maping data. It seems that this unit is preloaded with a base map and then you overlay one or more detailed maps. Since this unit has a fixed amount of user storage RAM I'm curious about how much space a large city takes up in the unit. If I were planning a trip lets say from Vancouver, BC through Seattle and Portland down to the CA boarder would I load the detailed maps for each of the three cities mentioned? If so would the unit then be full?

• Member Contributer

Get the Quest 2. It has all the detail maps loaded (for USA & Canada). I just ordered one. I did not want to deal with loading / reloading depending on where I was headed. The Quest 2 also has 115 meg available for any specialty maps you want to add (topography, etc.).

This will be my first GPS. I don't know much about them. I will probably still use maps. I like the GPS for the info such as closest gas, food, lodging.

later,

Mark

Guest Wingspan

The maps are made up of cells of data, so you can plot a route and just load the cells along your route to save space if you wish. You do not have to load entire cities or states. The size of the cells is dependant on the amount of data (roads,etc) in that area.

Without knowing the actual route you plan to take there's no way of saying if it would all fit or not. I did a 2000 mile ride though Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Ontario, Wisconsin, and Illinois last year and it all fit (including the entire state of Michigan).

• Forum CEO

I have a Gamin Quest, and it can hold several states not just cities of data.

Currently I have mine loaded with both the topo maps and street maps for all of Colorado, I can switch it around in the gps settings which I used, dirtbike topo, and streets for the vfr. At one point I had it full of New Mexico, Utah, and Colorado and some more. The base map is ok for highway use but if your going to a strange city you might want o upload the maps for it. Basically the mapping software will upload all the maps along any route you plan. It would be nice to be able to add more memory, but that option is not availible at the moment, I am sure there is a way somehow but It not somthing you can do it yourself.

I have found for my use the memory is quite enough.

• Member Contributer

I find that I can load about three states worth of info.

I carry my laptop with me on long trips so I can upload new maps/routes to the GPS when needed.

The Quest is a really nice GPS, an it's easy to use as well. :thumbsup:

You can purchase a motorcycle mount to allow the power to be supplied by your bike and the cradle also includes a headphone jack.

Well I picked up my quest last night, look at the trouble this group gets me into...LOL

I'm very impressed with the unit. I'm dissapointed though that there is not a headphone jack on either the unit or power plug / speaker.

• Member Contributer
Well I picked up my quest last night, look at the trouble this group gets me into...LOL

I'm very impressed with the unit. I'm dissapointed though that there is not a headphone jack on either the unit or power plug / speaker.

Did the cradle come with it or is it a separate purchase? Veefer02's earlier post says the headphone jack is in the cradle.

• Member Contributer
No mine was not supplied with the MC cradle, I will have to buy that seperately.

BTW, did you get the basic Quest or Quest 2? What RAM mount setup are you going with? I'm interested because I'm considering the Quest 2 for both my 04 VFR and my HD.

• Member Contributer

What operating system does the cd that comes with the Quest 2 use (City Select)?

Thx Terry

I've been looking at Garmin's GPS as well. One question though - which is better -a bike mounted GPS or one that goes in the pocket? I doubt I'll use the GPS when I'm riding - too distracting - so wouldn't it be just as easy to take it out of a pocket and read it gloves free?

And if I do choose a pocket version - will it have the memory for more than just a few mapped areas? And does it come with software?

Well I have been using my Quest in both my car and soon on my bike. I ordered a RAM mount for my bike, that will bolt down on the two front fuel tank hold down bolts and will sit just above my steering stem. I am very impressed with my Quest and paid 511.00 with both PST and GST included.

Well I have been using my Quest in both my car and soon on my bike. I ordered a RAM mount for my bike, that will bolt down on the two front fuel tank hold down bolts and will sit just above my steering stem. I am very impressed with my Quest and paid 511.00 with both PST and GST included.

Where did you find the mount? When I asked about mount's for a motorcycle when viewing the Garmin - all they had was a bicycle mount and a car mount!

Looks like you got an excellent price for the Quest BTW. I do believe Quest goes for a lot more up here. Maybe I can order one for less?

• Member Contributer
Did the cradle come with it or is it a separate purchase? Veefer02's earlier post says the headphone jack is in the cradle.

To get the headphone jack you have to purchase the motorcycle mount separately.

The cost of that mount starts around $42.00.

gallery_580_1013_50248.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Quest moto mount with wiring

• Member Contributer
Where did you find the mount?  When I asked about mount's for a motorcycle when viewing the Garmin - all they had was a bicycle mount and a car mount! 

Looks like you got an excellent price for the Quest BTW.  I do believe Quest goes for a lot more up here.  Maybe I can order one for less?

Go to gpscty for the motorcycle mount. You should purchase it as well as the RAM mount to mount it to the front tank bolts. I will try to add some pictures in a few minutes.

• Member Contributer
I've been looking at Garmin's GPS as well.  One question though - which is better -a bike mounted GPS or one that goes in the pocket?  I doubt I'll use the GPS when I'm riding - too distracting - so wouldn't it be just as easy to take it out of a pocket and read it gloves free? 

And if I do choose a pocket version - will it have the memory for more than just a few mapped areas?  And does it come with software?

You want bike mounted. You will be less distracted if you are trying to find something and you are guided directly there instead of trying to remember reference points and figure out how to get there. Using the navigation is IMO much safer than using your attention on trying to find where you are going and paying less attention to road conditions, traffic, etc.

For me the best part about it is being able to see what curves ahead are. If you are in an unfamiliar area with blind turns you can quickly glance down and see the radius of the upcoming turn before you get to it. It is also nice for finding stuff like restaurants, gas stations, etc.

• Member Contributer

OK, as promised, pictures. As shown in the first pic, it is only slightly lower than the tach, so you don't have to look very far, combine that with audio driving directions and it is a minimal distraction.

Also, the RAM mount is shown how it connects to the tank bolts. You simply do not use the steel loop that it supposed to go around a handle bar. Only problem with this setup is the tank bolts are a little short. I am trying to locate some slightly longer ones as they only have a couple of threads catching but it is secure just a PITA to lift the tank.

P2270137.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

P2270138.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

P2270139.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

P2270140.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

P2270141.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

P2270142.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

P2270143.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Jeremy,

Have you thought about the need for any kind of tether for the Quest? I purchased one this Christmas and plan to mount on the bike shortly. I'm just concerned the vibrations or bumps may dislodge that bugger from the mount while under way. Thanks.

Tim

• Member Contributer
Jeremy,

Have you thought about the need for any kind of tether for the Quest? I purchased one this Christmas and plan to mount on the bike shortly. I'm just concerned the vibrations or bumps may dislodge that bugger from the mount while under way. Thanks.

Tim

No tether is needed. If you get the Garmin mount, it has 2 pins that lock the Quest into place.

If you look at the second to last image on the upper right corner you will see a tab with a red arrow on it. Once you insert the Quest, you press this tab in and it slides 2 metal pins into the body of the Quest, preventing it from moving.

The pins are shown when the tab is pushed in below.

P2270136.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Jeremy,

Thanks for the pic's and explanation. I'll also be purchasing that powered cradle for the bike. I still haven't decided on the RAM mount location yet.

Tim

OK, I've heard everyone talk about the RAM mount using the tank bolts but can't for the life of me figure out which one it is at GPScity.com. Can someone please provide the part number for me?

• Member Contributer
OK, I've heard everyone talk about the RAM mount using the tank bolts but can't for the life of me figure out which one it is at GPScity.com.  Can someone please provide the part number for me?

You want to purchase this:

RAM Mount

RAM Mount Stainless Steel U-Bolt with Aluminum Standard Arm and 2.5'' Round Plate Assembly

This includes the mount that bolts to the tank, the arm, and the place the Garmin motorcycle mount bolts to.

Thanks Jeremy. I'm trying to mount a Garmin Streetpilot c330, but I got what I needed from your link.

gallery_3392_431_15092.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSC04462.JPG

Archived