Jiekal hard bags by coolgear on eBay

GutsyGibbon

• Member Contributer

I saw a VFR yesterday with a hard case called Jiekal or something like that. It looked neat. Then I found this eBay store called Coolgear which sells these hard cases with universal mounting geat for around $50 + shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-...itemZ4611347527

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Black-Motor...itemZ4609599045

Has anyone tried this brand. I e-mailed the guy and he said, he imports it directly from Far-East Asia. Any opinion/review info about this product, and its compatibility with a 02VFR will certainly help me.

-Prasadee

These do look like Givi look-alikes. They also look like they mount directly to the seat. There's no mention of using a rack of any sort. I have a Givi rack and have been looking for a trunk. I'll be e-mailing him now.

• Member Contributer

I have one. It does require a rack to mount; mine is on back order so I have not yet got it mounted.

I have not yet used it, but it is very cheap. I have not inspected a Givi or similar up close before, but I suspect I should have sprang for one of those instead.

• Member Contributer

I got the same top case from the same eBay seller. So far I have been pleased with mine. It's not up to par with a Givi trunk (haven't owned one, just finger banged a few), but for about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost it'll do for me.

Here's my initial review:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...wtopic=17446&hl

If someone could set me straight on this real quick.....the matte black one is larger and mounts over the rear fender area, and the painted one mounts over the passenger seat?

Is that right? And for 55 bucks it comes with the bracket and all of the hardware?

• Member Contributer
If someone could set me straight on this real quick.....the matte black one is larger and mounts over the rear fender area, and the painted one mounts over the passenger seat? 

Is that right?  And for 55 bucks it comes with the bracket and all of the hardware?

I don't think these cases come with the mounting bracket/racks. The larger case looks identical to a GIVI E360 that I just got from a member. Be careful not to read something into these ads. Hardware included is probably just nuts and bolts. Still going to need a rack of some typr and the ones on this guys website are for cruisers only. $55 looks very attractive, though. Just verify where to get an acceptable mounting system.

When travelling in China I saw these everywhere. Everybody had a Givi lookalike topcase on their little CNG-powered scoot.

I tried to find where to buy them, but didn't have success, otherwise I had planned on buying a set and rigging up a mount... the price had to be right. But the price is always right over there.

• Member Contributer

Is that right?  And for 55 bucks it comes with the bracket and all of the hardware?

They mount on some type of rack, but do include the mounting plate with hardware.

I just bought one with the matte finish for my BMW R1100RT-P (Hasn't arrived yet). Mine is the Police version BMW with the radio box on the back instead of the back seat, so if this mounts right on top of the radio box I will be a happy camper.....Sure beats the $600 that I spent for just my Honda top case for the VFR (although I do love it).

• Member Contributer
I got the same top case from the same eBay seller. So far I have been pleased with mine. It's not up to par with a Givi trunk (haven't owned one, just finger banged a few), but for about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost it'll do for me.

Here's my initial review:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.p...wtopic=17446&hl

Thanks. I just placed an order as well. Now I am on the lookout for the Renntec mounting rack.

-Prasadee

• Member Contributer

Now the seller claims that this case can mount on any top rack mount made for Givi. My big question is should I shell out $150 to mount a $50 case? I cannot find a cheap mount for my cheap case. Is anyone aware of a cheap mounting option?

-Prasadee

• Member Contributer

GIVI has the 'Monokey" and the "Monolock" systems. Both have different mounting plates and are not compatible. Be sure to specifiy which style of GIVI Case the mounting bracket fits. It will save you shipping and possible re-stocking costs.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Woo hoo.. got my Givi knockoff and the Renntec last week, and it has been a blast since then. No more riding around with a heavy backpack. (with laptop, iPod stuff, headphones, lunch box etc etc)

Now my question for the experts is.... Have I mounted this right?

topRack006.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

It looks right, and feels right, no movement no play, no vibration.

topRack01.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

-Prasadee

• Member Contributer
GIVI has the 'Monokey" and the "Monolock" systems. Both have different mounting plates and are not compatible. Be sure to specifiy which style of GIVI Case the mounting bracket fits. It will save you shipping and possible re-stocking costs.

I got the same box and rack. I tried (I think) every possible mounting arrangment, and the one you show is the only one I could get to work.

Mine rattles when there is nothing in ti on larger bumps, pretty irritating.

• Member Contributer
I got the same box and rack. I tried (I think) every possible mounting arrangment, and the one you show is the only one I could get to work.

Mine rattles when there is nothing in ti on larger bumps, pretty irritating.

I do ride mine when it is empty, and I cannot notice any rattling. Did you stick the cushion strip that was shipped with the rack?

-Prasadee

• Member Contributer
I do ride mine when it is empty, and I cannot notice any rattling. Did you stick the cushion strip that was shipped with the rack?

-Prasadee

Yea I used that on the rack mounting point. My box rattles between the tabs in the front that hook into the mounting plate, just a little bit of free play. I am probably going to wrap the tabs in duct tape or something to fill the gap.

Yea I used that on the rack mounting point. My box rattles between the tabs in the front that hook into the mounting plate, just a little bit of free play. I am probably going to wrap the tabs in duct tape or something to fill the gap.

I went down to the hardware store and got a rubber stopper and wedged it under there and it shores up the slack just fine..

• Member Contributer

OK, my original suspicions were correct, that case is a POS.

Hit a small to decent bump today at about 50 mph ? nothing terrible, I have forgotten to stand up on the pegs for this bump before and had no ill effects. I then feel something smack me in the back and I hear the case sliding down the road? off the road? into a ditch.

The case was empty except for a helmet bag I put stuff in to keep it from rattling so much. I just left the thing there, as the mounting tab had broken and I had no other way to carry the thing. You can see in the pics below the tab that the case locks into on its base just broke.

So if anyone wants a really cheap top case; on Lake Iola about 1-2 miles south of SR50 there is a free black Jiekal, it does not come with mounting plate, you will have to come get that out of my garbage.

I thought right after I got this thing, ?This isn?t going to seem cheap when it goes sliding down the road with a 2000 laptop in it.? Thank god it grenaded when it was empty.

P3190143.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

P3190144.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

P3190145.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

P3190146.JPG border='0' alt='user posted image' />

• Member Contributer

Man, that sucks!

I just did a 1300 mile round trip with mine loaded down pretty heavy with no problems. Mine doesn't have any rattle or play in it, though...wonder if that has anything to do with it (or if mine's just waiting to grenade also)?

That sucks! To be fair though it looks like the mounting rack broke as opposed to the top case. You may want to go scoop that back up and try again. Besides, you never know when you'll want that helmet bag again.

• Member Contributer
That sucks!  To be fair though it looks like the mounting rack broke as opposed to the top case.  You may want to go scoop that back up and try again.  Besides, you never know when you'll want that helmet bag again.

Yea, it is the mounting plate that broke, but that came with the box and I'll be damned if I am going to purchase another. Should have just bit the bullet and spent the $200 on a Givi, now is it going to be $275 or so once you consider the cost of this garbage.

• Member Contributer
Yea, it is the mounting plate that broke, but that came with the box and I'll be damned if I am going to purchase another. Should have just bit the bullet and spent the $200 on a Givi, now is it going to be $275 or so once you consider the cost of this garbage.

Five Stars make a rack that includes tabs to mount Givi cases. If my cunning plan comes togther, I'll get a 5Star rack and one of these cheapie givi knock offs (no pun there jeremy) for the times when a top box seems necessary. Another point to ponder; I read somewhere that the cheapies were coming with a different mounting plate. Might be worth a look.

Archived