Help me pick a helmet!

Guest stkirsch

Guest stkirsch

I need to purchase matching helmets for my wife and I. Can't spend huge $$$ so looking for something moderately prices ($100 to $225), full face or flip-up, something fairly comfortable and not real noisy. My present helmet is a KBC VR1 and that one has been a decent helmet for me but I don't think they make them anymore.

Anyone have experience with the following:

KBC FFR modular helmet

KBC-VR3

HJC-CL-SP

Any advice would be helpful........

Check out the very lengthy and controversial article done on helmets by MOTORCYCLIST mag. last year. I think you'll find that you can buy a more protective helmet than the high priced popular makes for around $100. Very informative reading and they include comparos on most of the readily available helmets.

• Member Contributer

If you want not-noisy then stay away from a flip-up. My HJC Symax sounds like a hurricane at anything over 50mph

Guest SaratogaVFR

As noted above, the Motorcyclist reviews have raised the question of Snell helmets being possibly too hard to absorb shock to the brain. Two cheap helmets that topped their chart were a M2R brand and ZR (also very inexpensive). I beleive the DOT helmets scored better (on this test) than Snell.

I ride with an Arai Signet GT (Snell) which did not do well in the above mentioned test and is pricey.

I once owned a very nice HJC helmet that cost $180 (solid color) that was as comfy as my Arai, as quiet, and it fogged up less.

Ikon helmets have been selling well and are priced very competively.

My wife has a $100/120 Nolan (Snell rated) which she likes but rides like 1 hour per year. This new info from Motorcyclist certainly now makes me re-think whether we bought the right helmets? However, I had always learned snell was a rigorous standard.

I'm also looking for a helmet. I went and tried on a few cheap Nolans and Bells at Autozone (I know, I know-flame away) after reading the whole Snell thingy. I then tried the Scorpion models out that the stealer was pushing hard and insisting was better than my HJC.

After all that I'm sticking with my 5 year old HJC cl12 that is 2 sizes too small (don't ask) and if I get another one it will be the same model, only bigger. Sorry but I don't remember the model #'s; but the autozone helmets were around $100 and the Scorpion $150ish. I don't have much to compare the HJC to but I like the helmet.

• Member Contributer

Noise will depend on three things: design, fit to your head, and ventilation. THe more ventilated, the noiser it will be. The better it fits, the quieter it will be. The flip up design will be noiser because of the design. A helmet that is noisy on person A will be much quieter on person B because of the way it fits.

I have used three helmets in the last couple of years, the HJC CL-14, Arai Quantum II, Arai RX-7 Corsair. The HJC and the Corsair were comfortable but the Quantum II was a bit too round for my head. HJC comfort and quality have improved greatly since the early 90's. Why did I end up with the Corsair instead of the HJC? Simple...tons better ventilation without extra noise, better fit, and it's significantly lighter. Each person's head shape will dictate what helmet will be the best for him/her, so don't read into this that an Arai is best for you.

I tried on a KBC last year but they didn't have the right size for me. The one I did try on was uncomfortable for that very reason. Just from examining it, it seemed to be a very nice helmet, at least as good as the newer HJC's. It was lighter than the HJC I have and much better ventilated. If you like your current KBC, why not locate a newer model and try it on. I bet you will like it! Matt Mladin is winning Superbike championships on a yearly basis with a KBC on his noggin. smile.gif

BTW, MotorcycleCloseouts.com has a bunch of KBC lids on closeout.

You may want to give Scorpion a look. I had a Shoei RF1000 and when I test rode my 05 the dealer loaned me a Scorpion EXO 700 and I liked it so much I ordered a Raider in Red to match the bike. Great quality for the $. I am very pleased. :thumbsup:

• Member Contributer
You may want to give Scorpion a look.  I had a Shoei RF1000 and when I test rode my 05 the dealer loaned me a Scorpion EXO 700 and I liked it so much I ordered a Raider in Red to match the bike. Great quality for the $. I am very pleased. :thumbsup:

Wow! You had a dealer in TN that actually let you test ride a new bike? Sloan's in the 'boro used to let me test ride used bikes, but I've never been to a Honda dealer that let me ride a new one....and he let you borrow a lid to boot. Whoever your dealer is, I give him a :thumbsup: !

It was Southern Honda in Chatty. I think he knew I was set on the bike when I pulled up in the truck with the trailer attached. :goofy: The helmet was an employee's. They were going to loan me a helmet, but he offered his up to see if I liked it.

• Member Contributer
You may want to give Scorpion a look.  I had a Shoei RF1000 and when I test rode my 05 the dealer loaned me a Scorpion EXO 700 and I liked it so much I ordered a Raider in Red to match the bike. Great quality for the $. I am very pleased. :thumbsup:

:goofy: I have the Scorpion EXO-700 in matte black. Price is around $200. You'll also love the anti-fog visor. I can't address the quietness of any helmet I've ever owned because I've always worn ear plugs to protect against hearing loss.

• Member Contributer
It was Southern Honda in Chatty. I think he knew I was set on the bike when I pulled up in the truck with the trailer attached. :goofy: The helmet was an employee's. They were going to loan me a helmet, but he offered his up to see if I liked it.

The trailer might have given him a clue. :P

I hope the employee that offered you his lid got some commission on your helmet purchase. I've been seeing a lot of positive press on Scorpion lids on several boards. Nobody around here has any. It's all HJC and Icon.

• Member Contributer

I had a KBC which did its job during the crash and now has a nice 2 inch wide 6 inch long scratch across the top.

however

I read the reviews and decided to buy a Vemar Helmet (for $125.00 US new off ebay) and I LOVE that helmet its a bit lighter, fits better, the visor is does not fog up and it looks great and also had some of the best test results in the MotorCyclist online Test.

Vemar Helmet Review

• Member Contributer

My head is oval rather than round so I tend to like the fit of helmet the same as TBZEP according to his list.

I use a HJC CL right now and it works great for an inexpensive helmet. I bought the breathguard and chin guard for cold weather riding. The breathguard keeps it from fogging up and the chin guard helps to keep the wind from blowing up inside.

I still wear earplugs for any distance rides. I am likely going to upgrade to an Arai Quantum this spring (or maybe an RX-7).

I have an Arai Quantum F that I absolutely love! I upgraded from an older Shoei RF-800, and the difference in comfort, weight, and quietness was astounding. I have worn a friend's RF-1000, which I think is comparable to my Arai. Make sure you try plenty on to get a good fit.

My .02

IMO 1. Shoei or Arai (depending on who you ask) I have an X-11 and love it $299 though! 2. HJC -great helmet for the price. I wouldn't recommend any of the others. And from what I see with Icon's stuff seems to be more about "style" than function. Just my 2cents. For the $200 HJC is your best bet. But I would splurge another $100 and get the shoei X-11 or RF1000.

After all that I'm sticking with my 5 year old HJC cl12 that is 2 sizes too small (don't ask) and if I get another one it will be the same model, only bigger. 

If you've been able to wear your helmet for 5 years without getting headaches it's not too small. Helmets should fit as tight as reasonably possible without causing you pain.

I've had a KBC VR1 for about 4 years in addition to other helmets. I also have a Scorpion EXO700, which I like much better than my KBC. Thye're a great deal for the $$$

• 1 month later...

I sell a ton of helmets here at my dealer. Some really nice helmets at a reasonable (under $250) price are the KBC VR-2, HJC CL-SP, CL-15 and the AC-12.

All are nice helmets if they fit you properly.

The Motorcyclist article tests for dropping helmets onto hard surfaces at high speeds but it doesn't test for quality of workmanship, fit, finish, ventilation, comfort, longevity, interior sound, aerodynamics and light weight. Go buy a $99 ZR-1...you won't be pleased.

Joe

I sell a ton of helmets here at my dealer. Some really nice helmets at a reasonable (under $250) price are the KBC VR-2, HJC CL-SP, CL-15 and the AC-12.

All are nice helmets if they fit you properly.

The Motorcyclist article tests for dropping helmets onto hard surfaces at high speeds but it doesn't test for quality of workmanship, fit, finish, ventilation, comfort, longevity, interior sound, aerodynamics and light weight. Go buy a $99 ZR-1...you won't be pleased.

Joe

I echo what Joe just said as most of the helmets did very well in the test. The main thing is COMFORT and FIT.

Wow!  You had a dealer in TN that actually let you test ride a new bike?  Sloan's in the 'boro used to let me test ride used bikes, but I've never been to a Honda dealer that let me ride a new one....and he let you borrow a lid to boot.  Whoever your dealer is, I give him a  :thumbsup: !

The dealers here are pretty good about letting people test-ride bikes, apart from if it's a model that there isn't much stock of and they don't have a 'demo' one available.

One dealer here let me test-ride a helmet once (my second-to-last AGV). He said, "Here - go and ride for a few hours, and if you like it, we'll talk." After 20 minutes, it had started to not feel tight, so I went back to the shop after some more riding around. He then said, "What do you want to do?"

"I'll take it thanx!"

"Do you want to do a trade-in?"

"Say what?!?"

"You old helmet. You know - trade it in on the this one."

"B-b-b-but I've just told you about the crack in the chin bar, the ratty bit on the strap..."

"What crack? What strap? News to me. So how's $100 trade-in sound?"

"Pretty damned good! I'll take it!"

"Fine. I'll give you a $50 discount then. Make it $249." (This is on a $399 helmet.)

Guest r.mutt

i've had agv's for years, whatever their top of the line helmet is at the time, and have never been disappointed.

everyone raves about arai's quality.

• Member Contributer

There is an excellent resource for finding out about motorcycle equipment at: www.motorcyclegearreview.com It gives real people a forum to extend their opinions about the gear we all use everyday, or are possibly in the market for. Check it out. :pissed:

• Member Contributer

My experience with KBC FFRs is that the pivot mechanism and upper vents are fairly fragile. The only modular helmets I'd recommend are the Nolan N100E/N102 and Schuberth Concept ($250 and $500, respectively).

I really love my RF-1000 (seeing as how it was an upgrade from an RF-200(!)). Minuses on the Shoei are no removable liner and no anti-fog shield. Otherwise, it's a fantastic helmet. Next time I'm biting the bullet and getting an X-11.

If you're looking for a full-featured full face helmet that tops out around $200, you deserve to check out the Scorpion EXO-700. If you need to save a little coin, you can opt for the EXO-400 which has a polycarbonate shell.

Archived