Windscreens -- ZG vs Givi vs Puig

Guest MDP

I'm having a really tough time deciding between the ZG sport touring screen and the Givi "flip-up" style touring screen for my 6th gen. Both seem like they'll give the protection I'm looking for, can anyone briefly offer their experiences with either of these products? Input on both quality and function would be appreciated.

I know some of you have installed the Puig screens recently. I'd also be interested in hearing about the quality/performance of those screens so long as they are the touring version...not interested in the stock replacement or the dbl-bubble type screens.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

• Member Contributer

I have a Givi touring screen but find the buffeting in cross winds or behind suvs etc at 140 kph & higher to be awful. Very well made.

I have now fitted a Puig double bubble which I much prefer, much less buffeting.

I fitted wool streamers to see where the wind goes. On the Givi it comes straight back from the top of the screen. Diagrams of the wind continuing to follow the curve of the screen are fantasy. The buffeting comes from the air going round the side of the screen. You can see this very clearly with the wool streamers attached. I suppose there are vortexes (vorticies?) being shed by the screen. The Givi was so bad that is why I fitted the streamers.

I also ran the bike with no screen at all. Wind blast is huge at 120kph & above; you really have to hang onto the bars.

Standard screen gives no buffeting. Fitted the streamers to it also. Same thing; air comes straight back from the top of the ecreen (no deflection upwards). Air comming round the side flies the streamers pretty smooth & straight.

Puig is very well made & the double bubble is the most usable as there is no buffeting but you can get down out of the direct wind easier. I have not fitted streamers to it. I was given the dark smoke screen by mistake. I don't like it as it shades the digital read-outs too much in bright sunlight so you can't read them; when it is overcast it is easy to read the display. I have taken it off & am waiting for the light smoke replacement to arrive. Puig has only 1 clip tongue each side - the first one. Givi has 2 each side like the Honda. This makes no practical difference in my opinion. The air inlet vent at the front is much bigger on the Puig than on the Honda or Givi. Again I am not certain what difference it makes - possibly why the Puig is so much less buffeting?

What I was looking for was a quiter ride so I wanted to get the base of my helmet out of the wind. The Givi does not raise the wind high enough to make any difference what so ever to wind noise but the buffeting above 140 kph made me get rid of it. I rate the Givi touring screen only suitable for slow cruising. It also detracts badly from the look of the bike. You can see it fitted in my gallery.

• Member Contributer

Similar comments on the Givi. It is well made and offers good protection but increased wind noise is an issue. I switched to a MRA Vario-Screen and like it better - protection between stock and Givi with less noise than the Givi. I see positive comments on the Puig so I might have to try that one too.

Similar comments on the Givi.  It is well made and offers good protection but increased wind noise is an issue.  I switched to a MRA Vario-Screen and like it better - protection between stock and Givi with less noise than the Givi.  I see positive comments on the Puig so I might have to try that one too.

I too wanted to hear about the ZG Sport Touring windscreen that is supposed to raise the wind higher than the double-bubble type. They are selling them now for the 94-97 on Ebay for 39.95 and 12.00 shipping, in the light smoke color.

• Member Contributer

I tried 4 different windscreens before settling on the MRA Vario touring screen. Works great. Nice smooth bubble from an indicated 70mph up to 115mph. (on a test track with a trained professional rider of course). :goofy:

Can also be adjusted down to allow airflow for those super hot days.

A bit pricey, but the time I spent testing the others would have paid for two!

This one also has "Micro Swirl Edging" added to it.

(talk about pricey! Micro Swirl is nearly $13.00 a foot! Yikes!)

gallery_2056_558_3704.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

IMG_3281b.jpg

gallery_2056_558_19099.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

IMG_3280a.jpg

gallery_2056_558_4249.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

IMG_3278a.jpg

gallery_2056_558_19004.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

IMG_3277.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback to date fellas, it has been most informative to hear your own experiences with the various windscreen options for the 6th gen VFR.

I think I'll lean toward the double bubble ZG screen. I've kind of had a 2nd thought after hearing about the troubles with the Givi touring screen. I don't want a screen that messes up the bikes aero so much that it becomes a pig to handle. The three hardbags filled to the brim are enough to handle thank you very much! And I'm not too big on the looks of the ZG touring screen.

Many of you have posted images in the pics section of your bikes with the ZG double bubble screen and it looks to be something I can live with. I did have one on my CBR (it was obviously smaller than the VFR's) and it worked like a charm. Might as well stick with what you know I suppose.

Again, thanks for the input.

• Member Contributer
I think I'll lean toward the double bubble ZG screen.  I've kind of had a 2nd thought after hearing about the troubles with the Givi touring screen.  I don't want a screen that messes up the bikes aero so much that it becomes a pig to handle.  The three hardbags filled to the brim are enough to handle thank you very much!  And I'm not too big on the looks of the ZG touring screen. 

In addition to the Vario touring screen, MRA also makes a double bubble...check it out at this link http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/1231/358/

Mine should be here in a few days.

• Member Contributer
In addition to the Vario touring screen, MRA also makes a double bubble...check it out at this link http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/1231/358/

Mine should be here in a few days.

I regret my purchase of the MRA double bubble, no better quailty than ZG in my opinion. Given the choice go with Puig, a lot cheaper too.

I've had ZG, MRA, Skidmarx.

Rich A

I had a ZG DB on the bike (till I crashed it sad.gif ) and I liked it pretty well. I'm tall enough that at 65mph + the wind is pretty much funneled directly into the helmet. If I was about 3in shorter I think it would be fine.

YMMV but thats what I find.

That MRA screen looks pretty nice, may have to check into that.

I think i'm going to try the ZG touring screen and will be sure and fill ya'll in on how it goes.

Maybe I didn't look in the right spot, but I didn't find any MRA Screens for the 6th Gen's.

anybody got a link to these? or do they exist?

Thanks

• Member Contributer
Is that a rolled edge on the windscreen or just the the pic came out??

Just some split tubing that Puig sends to prevent a sharp edge to wack your head on. It does look much better than the ZG imho. Gives the look of the stock screen.

• Member Contributer
Thanks for the tip.  Plan to get one this spring.  Found a US distributor a month back.  your pics look great.  :thumbsup: Just have to decide on dark smoke or light smoke.

If you ever want to tuck in behind the screen and look through it, then light smoke or clear is better. That's why racing bikes have clear screens. Something to consider.

I'm debating between the MRA vario and a laminar lip touring....

Laminar Lip for VFR page

anyone have experiences with this gear on the stock windscreen vs. getting an aftermarket screen?

I actually have the Laminar Touring Lip on mine (no pic of it yet, though). My experience is pretty much like those with the MRA Vario - protection is better than stock, as good as or slightly less than the Givi (still have that one if anyone wants to buy it!) with much less noise and buffeting than the Givi. I'm still kind of iffy on the looks of it, and it's a royal pain to clean the underside of it without removing it. I am intrigued by the Puig, however.

• Member Contributer
Maybe I didn't look in the right spot, but I didn't find any MRA Screens for the 6th Gen's.

anybody got a link to these? or do they exist?

Thanks

Ordered mine from the US distributor for MRA which is twistedthrottle. You have to follow the links for "products that fit my motorcycle" ->Honda ->02-05 VTEC to find the MRA vario screen

Direct: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/1232/91/

Archived