Windscreens -- ZG vs Givi vs Puig

Guest MDP

anyone have a link where i can purchase the puig windscreens? i'm looking for the racing screen in dark smoke and didn't see that one on ebay.

thanks

• Member Contributer
anyone have a link where i can purchase the puig windscreens?  i'm looking for the racing screen in dark smoke and didn't see that one on ebay.

thanks

Try this link http://www.compacc.com/category.cfm?Category=1821

Guest SagaciousDupe
Thanks for the tip.  Plan to get one this spring.  Found a US distributor a month back.  your pics look great.  :thumbsup: Just have to decide on dark smoke or light smoke.

If you hold on a day or so, the dark smoke should be waiting for me when I get home tomorrow night. (their 'racing' or DB screen) It will be dark by the time I get home and get it on, but I will provide a garage shot for you!

They show up on ebay every week or so...got mine $75 delivered.

Guest SagaciousDupe

Here are a few pics of the Puig dark smoke racing screen. It's slushing out. Again. I had a hard time getting the pictures to come out right...every time the flash would go off it would make the screen look opaque rather than smoke. Here were my best shots...

Kevin

gallery_5061_728_1347922.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

IMG00083.JPG

gallery_5061_728_1136537.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

IMG00079.JPG

gallery_5061_728_300191.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

IMG00080.JPG

Here are a few pics of the Puig dark smoke racing screen. It's slushing out. Again. I had a hard time getting the pictures to come out right...every time the flash would go off it would make the screen look opaque rather than smoke. Here were my best shots...

Kevin

Several of you complain about the buffeting at speeds over 100mph. When riding sensibly and safely(below 90max), do any of the taller screens have a helmet buffeting problem? Thanks

Guest SagaciousDupe
Several of you complain about the buffeting at speeds over 100mph.  When riding sensibly and safely(below 90max), do any of the taller screens have a helmet buffeting problem?  Thanks

I had just put the screen on before taking these pics; I don't know about the buffeting yet. It will be interesting...this screen is not much taller than stock. The bubble part is just a bit forward from the stock. (does that make sense?)

Here is an ebay link. Check out the photo. There is a good profile comparison for the different models of Puig windscreens (wish it was a VFR, but still a good reference).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PUIG-HONDA-...itemZ4605832818

Kevin

I had just put the screen on before taking these pics; I don't know about the buffeting yet.  It will be interesting...this screen is not much taller than stock.  The bubble part is just a bit forward from the stock.  (does that make sense?)

Here is an ebay link.  Check out the photo.  There is a good profile comparison for the different models of Puig windscreens (wish it was a VFR, but still a good reference).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PUIG-HONDA-...itemZ4605832818 

Kevin

Well, what I was hoping to hear, was from someone who has tried different touring screens, not racing or double-bubble type of screens. I am interested in getting a screen that puts the wind right above my helmet to keep the largest part of the wind off of me to provide some wind protection. Basically for comfort and rain protection. That's why I was interested in the ZG touring screens. I'm older now and have no desire to go over 100mph anymore. Thanks for any input you guys can add.

• Member Contributer
I tried 4 different windscreens before settling on the MRA Vario touring screen. Works great. Nice smooth bubble from an indicated 70mph up to 115mph. (on a test track with a trained professional rider of course).  :goofy:

Can also be adjusted down to allow airflow for those super hot days.

A bit pricey, but the time I spent testing the others would have paid for two!

This one also has "Micro Swirl Edging" added to it.

(talk about pricey! Micro Swirl is nearly $13.00 a foot! Yikes!)

Ok, Avid One,

Enlighten me please. What is the Micro Swirl Edging' benefit? I had not heard of this stuff before.

Well, what I was hoping to hear, was from someone who has tried different touring screens, not racing or double-bubble type of screens.  I am interested in getting a screen that puts the wind right above my helmet to keep the largest part of the wind off of me to provide some wind protection.  Basically for comfort and rain protection. That's why I was interested in the ZG touring screens.  I'm older now and have no desire to go over 100mph anymore.  Thanks for any input you guys can add.

Hobie1,

I currently have the ZG Touring screen on my VTEC but will be removing it this spring. Too much helmet buffeting at freeway speeds, worse than stock. I will be trying the MRA Vario Touring screen next.

Tim

• Member Contributer

I replaced the stock windscreen with a ZG double bubble and love it. I'm 6'2" and I found the stocker put the wind directly into my helmet and buffetting was bad - the ZG cured that.

• Member Contributer
Ok, Avid One,

Enlighten me please. What is the Micro Swirl Edging' benefit? I had not heard of this stuff before.

Well, it is designed to...ahhh...let's see...hmmm.. here's a link to the Micro-swirl page.

http://www.saeng.com/4000.htm

It does a better job than I could at describing the alleged benefits. I say alleged as they make it sound like some sort of miracle, but it just a moderate improvement on my setup compared to just the MRA Vario alone. I don't mean to sell it short though. I had a great ride in 70deg weather on Sun, but I stayed with friends too late and it was closer to 40deg when I went home. The smoother airflow and slightly increased envelope size helped me from becoming a popsicle on the 75-80mph freeway blast down 101 so. (Ohhh Nooo!, did some one say something about the CHP using LIDAR in CA?).

• 1 month later...
Guest Aardvark892

Sagacious, is your VFR orange or did it just turn out that way in the picture? I really like orange on a VFR... I might just get my '05 painted that color!

BTW, I just received my ZeroGravity sport tour screen last night, and I give it highest marks for looks, quality, and ride.

Guest Aardvark892

I still like that color.

Here's some pictures I just took of my 05 with the ZG SportTour screen (I had to blank out the base sticker, if you're wondering what this is above my left front turn signal):

Tim

gallery_7104_1349_111.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

3/4 view

gallery_7104_1349_12545.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Head on BugEye

gallery_7104_1349_933.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

VFR at Holloman

gallery_7104_1349_107346.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

In front of a Starfighter in New Mexico

I replaced the stock windscreen with a ZG double bubble and love it. I'm 6'2" and I found the stocker put the wind directly into my helmet and buffetting was bad - the ZG cured that.

I'm also 6' 2" and love the ZG Sport touring screen. The wind goes directly above my helmet! Much improved over stock! :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Okay, how about this for those of us trying to figure out which windscreen to buy.

Post your VFR generation, which exact windscreen, your height, your helmet, and if you have raised or lowered the handlebars. And finally, where the wind hits or doesn't hit you. Thanks

My turn first:

6th gen

Zero Gravity stock replacement

5'9"

Arai Quantum 2

raised bars ~1"

wind hits at collar bone

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ikazuchi

Picked up my new Puig DB dark smoke screen yesterday and put it on last night.

What a PITA that trim was to install... took me a bit just to get it started. Wish they did that at the factory...lazy bums.

Big windflow improvement for me over stock (5' 9").... and most importantly... it looks good :D

I noticed the warning sticker about leaving your bike in direct sunlight.... anybody ever actually had their DB burn a hole in their dash? :goofy:

• 9 months later...
Picked up my new Puig DB dark smoke screen yesterday and put it on last night.

What a PITA that trim was to install... took me a bit just to get it started. Wish they did that at the factory...lazy bums.

Big windflow improvement for me over stock (5' 9").... and most importantly... it looks good :D

I noticed the warning sticker about leaving your bike in direct sunlight.... anybody ever actually had their DB burn a hole in their dash? :wheel:

Can you see through the screen ok? at night? during the day? I am looking to replace the stock screen and I am about 5'9" so I am leaning towards the Puig. Somehow managed to get a bunch of swirlmarks in my stock screen already. Anyone else have that problem? Suggestions?

I'm having a really tough time deciding between the ZG sport touring screen and the Givi "flip-up" style touring screen for my 6th gen. Both seem like they'll give the protection I'm looking for, can anyone briefly offer their experiences with either of these products? Input on both quality and function would be appreciated.

I know some of you have installed the Puig screens recently. I'd also be interested in hearing about the quality/performance of those screens so long as they are the touring version...not interested in the stock replacement or the dbl-bubble type screens.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I really like my GIVI windscreen as it's taller than the stock screen and provides better wind protection for me as I am tall with the stock screen the wind was hitting me just about the middle of my chest .

With the GIVI touring screen the wind just grazes the top of my helmet ..I have pics..gallery_6179_1657_152132.jpg

000_0007.JPG

gallery_6179_2765_749296.jpg

100_0302.jpg

I too am wondering about the ZG ST screen, I've got a 5th gen w/ Heli-bars and the stock screen definately causes some buffeting above 65mpg w/ me being 5' 10" tall. Looks wise the ZG ST shield still looks some what sporty which I do like, but at the same time large enough maybe it'd make an improvement? Guess I'm just tagging along looking for more opinions of this particular screen. I've considered the DB style's but fear they'd be a waste of time and merely a cosmetic improvement only.

Archived