Motovation frame sliders fitted

kaldek

When I did mine I used a 2 part epoxy to glue in the plastic and siliconed over it. Like Riv, the first time I rode it that way I had a small amount of antifreeze under the bike. I redid it using straight up Krazy Glue. Once it dried, I filled the tank with water, sealed up all the holes and squeezed. . . hard. Nothing came out. Sealed up tighter than a penguin's a$$. I put more silicone around the seams, but it probably isn't contributing anything to the integrity of the bottle. Good ol' Krazy Glue. . . they didn't list "modifying coolant reservoirs" but I'm sure they'd like to know!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer
Sealed up tighter than a penguin's a$$.

HHhhaa, Ha, Ha. LOMFL! HHhhaa, Ha, Ha. OMG.

Penguin voice on:

Quank!

Penguin voice off.

LOL.

Oh ya, for those of you look'n at, "Loctite- Xtreme Repair". Forget it. Save your cash. It's clear RTV. For $3.50- 1floz. D-oh!. Now you know.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest valium

Anyone use the yoyo-dyne sliders and have a picture of them. My buddy got a set for the VFR I just purchased from him and offered to instal them, but not sure what they look like and how well this brand works/ looks compared to other brands.

Speaking of krazy glue.... you might try this... have to go to a hobby store we now carry a rubberized super glue that is fantastic does not set up hard it fills in gaps and gives a little bit, which may help with the high frequency vibrations that motorcycles exhibit.... just something to try for the radiator overflow bottle.

• Member Contributer
Speaking of krazy glue.... you might try this... have to go to a hobby store we now carry a rubberized super glue that is fantastic does not set up hard it fills in gaps and gives a little bit, which may help with the high frequency vibrations that motorcycles exhibit.... just something to try for the radiator overflow bottle.

Sounds interesting...do you know specifically what it's called?

On my second go around of resealing my bottle I used "Devcon Multi Purpose Silicone Adhesive S-12-/12045" that I got from Home Depot....so far so good...fingers crossed of course

• Member Contributer
Sounds interesting...do you know specifically what it's called?

On my second go around of resealing my bottle I used "Devcon Multi Purpose Silicone Adhesive S-12-/12045" that I got from Home Depot....so far so good...fingers crossed of course

Did that too. Tore it off. (easily). D-oh. Wasn't gonna chance it. (That's just me). All C.A., now! Seems fine, need lots more ride time, to be certain.

Watch your mail, week after next, Bone. :beer: LOL.

• Member Contributer
Anyone use the yoyo-dyne sliders and have a picture of them. My buddy got a set for the VFR I just purchased from him and offered to instal them, but not sure what they look like and how well this brand works/ looks compared to other brands.

Where can you find info on the Yoyo-dyne products.

• Member Contributer
Did that too. Tore it off. (easily). D-oh. Wasn't gonna chance it. (That's just me). All C.A., now! Seems fine, need lots more ride time, to be certain.

Watch your mail, week after next, Bone.  :beer:  LOL.

I did mine with basic household silicon sealant, and it's been fine for ages now. Maybe my bike vibrates less than yours. Gasp - you must have a camchain problem/piston slap/evil gremlin/Harley Engine on your bike!

Kaldek

I just recently ordered my VFR800 and expect to get it in about 1.5 weeks; it'll be my second bike. The dealer will be installing the frame sliders.

What I am wondering is this: Since so many owners want and install frame sliders, a fact of which Honda (and other manufacturers) must be well aware, why aren't they a factory option? That would seem to make more sense.

Sliders designed by the bike manufacturer could be superior to after market sliders and probably cost less besides.

• Member Contributer
I just recently ordered my VFR800 and expect to get it in about 1.5 weeks; it'll be my second bike.  The dealer will be installing the frame sliders.

What I am wondering is this:  Since so many owners want and install frame sliders, a fact of which Honda (and other manufacturers) must be well aware, why aren't they a factory option?  That would seem to make more sense.

Sliders designed by the bike manufacturer could be superior to after market sliders and probably cost less besides.

Ahhh grasshopper..........one can not expect to understand the corporate mind of the Motorcycle manufacturer :P

Sh*t, we can't even seem to understand what "American" Honda is thinking most of the time :beer:

• Member Contributer
I did mine with basic household silicon sealant, and it's been fine for ages now.  Maybe my bike vibrates less than yours.  Gasp - you must have a camchain problem/piston slap/evil gremlin/Harley Engine on your bike!

Kaldek

LOL. Not so much that,...No ride time on it, before I peeled it. Before putt'n it back on, I noticed I could dig my fingernail into it, so off it goes. C.A. is working well, WITH min. ride time on it.

• Member Contributer

ok here's my motivation frame slider story.

Last saturday I was out for a ride with a few mates. I was out ahead and we were covering some extremely bumpy roads. I was approaching a 90 degree right hander and slowed down to 65km/hr (40/45 miles/hr). Suddenly the front of the bike launched itself and slammed back down. The handlebars jamed to full left lock and down we went.

This was my first semi-serious stack on a bike in a couple of years and maybe 40,000k's.

The verdict:

Me - Bit sore, shoulder had a bit of soft tissue damage and a bit of road rash. Not too bad and nothing broken.

Gear - All destroyed. Helmet, gloves, boots and jacket. Thank god I was wearing all that stuff or I would have been in serious trouble.

Bike - Heavily damaged, though primarily cosmetic. Bike still ridable (I rode it 300k's home +1.gif ) Came down on its right hand side. Frame slider actually snapped off and the thread of the bolt is still stuck in the engine mount. Got the repair bill yesterday, $5300 AUS (approx $4000 US) is the first estimate though this could change as they fix it and find anything else wrong with it. Here's a couple of shots:

Picture%20003.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Picture%20004.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

Picture%20008.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

I've got no idea what the frame slider actually saved. Its hard to imagine the right side of the bike having any further damage without the frame slider installed.

I hate these pictures. sad.gif It's good that you had your gear on. Look at your bike and imagine all of that plastic as your skin!

It looks to me like yours slid flat on its side whereas mine was slightly tilted up, keeping the plastic up. My clutch case and slider took the brunt of the slide.

gallery_3392_431_10360.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSC04620.JPG

gallery_3392_431_10360.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSC04620.JPG

gallery_3392_431_169645.jpg border='0' alt='user posted image' />

DSC04619.JPG

I'm guessing that the slider snapping off had a lot to do with your damage. I low sided at about 70mph and my bike doesn't look as bad as yours.

Sorry to hear about it, but you'll be able to fix her up quick.

• Member Contributer
I've got no idea what the frame slider actually saved.  Its hard to imagine the right side of the bike having any further damage without the frame slider installed.

I guess that impact exceeded the shear strength of the bolt. It's 12.9 tensile strength steel so it's designed to bend rather than snap clean off.

Is it possible the slider dug into a hole/bump on the road and was asked to deal with 200kg of motorcycle sliding at 60km/h? I reckon that would snap off a lot of stuff!

• Member Contributer
Is it possible the slider dug into a hole/bump on the road and was asked to deal with 200kg of motorcycle sliding at 60km/h?  I reckon that would snap off a lot of stuff!

That's what I was think'n too. Thank goodness your in better condition, than the bike. Heal well.

It seems to me that bikes could be designed to minimize the damage that occurs when they are dropped. Easily replaceable rugged slide strips surely would help. Of course, bikes should never be dropped, but we know that it happens.

I suppose that manufacturers will never design bikes to minimize damage unless or until they are convinced that doing so would provide a marketing advantage. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable extra amount for the protection, and I bet many other riders would also.

At least we have good protective gear to wear to protect our bodies and ultimately that is more important than reducing damage to bikes.

• 10 months later...

I'm mounting the MV frame sliders this weekend and everythings gone easy except moving this assembly.

I don't have a little bracket like that can anyone suggest where to buy one, or how to make one

(with only primitive tools) or an alternative?

I just had to make a sightly different mounting bracket for it and "rearrange" the postioning a bit :idea3:

gallery_326_40_252364.jpg

Remount of Ca. model EPCV assembly

Well I hate to reply to my own post, but how bad would it be to use strong velcro to hold it in place?

I plan to remove all the PAIR and cannister stuff sometime anyway.

• Member Contributer
I'm mounting the MV frame sliders this weekend and everythings gone easy except moving this assembly.

I don't have a little bracket like that can anyone suggest where to buy one, or how to make one

(with only primitive tools) or an alternative?

I just had to make a sightly different mounting bracket for it and "rearrange" the postioning a bit :beer:

gallery_326_40_252364.jpg

Remount of Ca. model EPCV assembly

try post 69?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Etienne

Thanks for the tip. Very easy. The holes were drilled perfectly the first shot and I din't need a dremel. The Key is to have a perfect alignment and the best tool that I found was a piece of chewing gum :rolleyes:

That's right, chewing gum !!! Just place it inside the fairnig and the bolt will magically print itself at the exact location were the drilling is required !

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
Thanks, I saw the bracket in picture 8 (of post 69) and thought maybe the a zip tie wouldn't be enough.

Too little, too late. LOL. It is bolted, I'm using a zip-tie for extra stabilization.