VFR fourth gen fairings?

Hey guys, I'm new to this bike. I just purchased a running, clean title, new tires 1994 Honda VFR for $300. The problem is that the previous owner laid the bike down not once, but twice. I've been having trouble finding plastics for a decent enough price to put them on right away. There are more parts available right now for the fifth gen bikes so they are a lot cheaper. I was wondering if I could fit the fifth gen plastic, and the gas tank, on a fourth gen bike. Let me know thanks!

• Member Contributer

Anything is possible, but they are VERY different bikes, especially the tank.  Not really a feasible idea.  When you were done you should have just bought a nicer starting point.

Not much out there at all, let alone at a decent price that are nice enough to put on right away as you have seen.  If you are dead set on this bike and want it with cowlings (this Summer), start practising plastic repair.  There are decent tanks out there.

• Member Contributer

Judging by the phrases used in his post and the general description of the starting point, I don't think either one of those options is in the budget.  You could just buy a pretty nice 94 thru 97 for less money.

Naked maybe.   But if you want it to not look like ass, then usually any "budget" naked build is out too (imo).

• Like 3

Very few bikes look cool without some cash and talent. More cash requires less talent while more talent requires less cash. Seb's naked bikes look like MONEY but we know how they got there.

• Like 5

Yeah eventually I am going to buy all of the plastic for mine or try to repair the ones that are still savable. I was just wondering if there are cheaper alternatives. I like the stock look but at this very moment to put it back on the road I'll probably just throw on the damaged fairings so I can ride it until I can afford to put new plastic on. My brother knows how to paint and offered to help me once I have all of the parts.. I have owned my Honda Magna for 7-8 months and really like the V4 in that bike so I went out and bought this one. It might take some time and money but I think this bike deserves a second chance.

Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it.

• Like 4

• Member Contributer

If you like carb V4s, you picked one of the best.  The styling can be polarizing (not to me), but as far as how it runs, feels and sounds...   hard to beat.  Just rode mine (95) last night for a rip in the valley before a week+ of rain comes and I just absolutely love this bike.

It does deserve a second chance.  Keep your eyes open for pieces that are not toast and reasonably priced and start practicing repairs.  You can perhaps start to build a replacement set for paint and then swap over.

Start another thread so we can follow your progress if you want.  Maybe some pics to see what you are dealing with.  Almost anything can be repaired.

Good luck and Cheers!