Picked up a 2010 VFR1200 yesterday

Has 22,000 miles and It came with some decent modes, planning on handlebar risers and center stand, any other mods come to mind?

IMG_20240418_150602963.jpg

• Member Contributer

Looks like a lovely, well kept bike, congratulations. 

You could consider suspension upgrade, ECU flash, crash bungs.....there's loads depending on your wallet and needs and you didn't tell what had already been done.

14 minutes ago, Skids said:

You could consider suspension upgrade, ECU flash, crash bungs.....there's loads depending on your wallet and needs and you didn't tell what had already been done.

Thanks Skids.

The bike came with Dam exhaust, K&N AIR filter, new pilot 6 front and back, zero gravity touring screen smoked and clear, GIVI tank bag, SHAD tail box, Bazazz-z-bomb, rider pegs are something aftermarket, adjustable and solid. 

I'm looking for bar risers and a center stand immediately (currently looking for them) on that topic and opinions on RECRAFT brand center stand? 

I'll most likely do a CAT delete and ECU flash this winter (want to be certain I know what I'm doing with the flash. 

I'm riding long distance most often, my commute to work is 86 miles each direction, when I'm joy riding for the day I'm on the road riding 4 to 6 hours, out of the house for 8 to 10 on average.

When I'm riding regularly I'll ride 3,000-4,000 miles per month

• Member Contributer

Definitely suspension then, transforms the bike.

If you decide to flash, ditch the Baz bomb. There are aftermarket quickshifters available. I'm considering one as I have a Honda one fitted to my Crossrunner and I love it.

A m8 of mine tried non-Honda centre stand and it was near impossible to use. The Honda one is best, makes my 1200 the easiest of my 3 bikes to get on the centrestand.

• Member Contributer

In addition to Skids' excellent suggestions...

I added Heli bars, the Honda OEM center stand, and Honda OEM heated grips, and was very happy with all three improvements.

The 2010 stock seat was significantly improved in later years (2012 and later?), you might want to look into that. Also, did your bike get the drive shaft recall done?

I do miss that bike! But I guess I've said that about almost every one I've owned...

image.thumb.jpeg.9ca51fae77b577cd70282e2dc683512e.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, St. Stephen said:

In addition to Skids' excellent suggestions...

I added Heli bars, the Honda OEM center stand, and Honda OEM heated grips, and was very happy with all three improvements.

The 2010 stock seat was significantly improved in later years (2012 and later?), you might want to look into that. Also, did your bike get the drive shaft recall done?

I do miss that bike! But I guess I've said that about almost every one I've owned...

image.thumb.jpeg.9ca51fae77b577cd70282e2dc683512e.jpeg

The recall was taken care of and the seat has been replaced with something better then stock, if anyone know if how I could get my hands on OEM heated grips and center stand that would be great. As for the bar risers there's a few different brands and styles I've seen (dang they're pricy) looking at pros and cons of each

15 hours ago, Skids said:

Definitely suspension then, transforms the bike.

If you decide to flash, ditch the Baz bomb. There are aftermarket quickshifters available. I'm considering one as I have a Honda one fitted to my Crossrunner and I love it.

A m8 of mine tried non-Honda centre stand and it was near impossible to use. The Honda one is best, makes my 1200 the easiest of my 3 bikes to get on the centrestand.

Never had a quick shifter before so don't even know what I'm missing 👍🏼 but yeah the flash is to ditch the bomb and I've read of files being improved instead of simply unlocking stock, work better with slip on and deCAT and K&N filter. 

I want to be 100% certain I know what I'm doing before I even start that project though

The only other motorcycle I've owned is a 2013 NC700X I bought in 2014 that had 5,000 miles exactly on it after my test ride, it now has over 146,000 miles on it without any issues.

I've gone down twice once was pretty rough on me but the bike didn't get banged up to badly.

My NC came with OEM heated grips, center stand, side cases and charging port, I've added additional charging port types, OEM rear rack, auxillary lights and a Tutoro chain oiler.

My rides are almost exclusively commuting to work which was 60 miles each way is now over 80 miles each way, going up and down I-5 traffic is usually going over 80mph and my NC tops out 92mph-96mph so going over 95% of what the bike is capable negates most of the fuel savings and fun. 

I plan on setting up the VFR as my commuting replacement as well as riding 2 up from time to time, any advice would be appreciated

IMG_20240420_173345296.jpg

IMG_20240420_173429148_HDR.jpg

• Member Contributer

Wow, nearly 236,000 faultless kilometres, great testament to Honda reliability, nice looking bike. Hope the 1200 lives up to the enjoyment and durability you've had with the NC700X. Sure hope my 2014 8gen VFR can live up to that mileage - I have no future replacement plans for my VFR, now at over 96,000kms.

Cheers:beer:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grum said:

Wow, nearly 236,000 faultless kilometres, great testament to Honda reliability, nice looking bike. Hope the 1200 lives up to the enjoyment and durability you've had with the NC700X. Sure hope my 2014 8gen VFR can live up to that mileage - I have no future replacement plans for the VFR now at over 96,000kms.

Cheers:beer:

I've replaced the air temp and water temp sensors but they went bad within days of fiddling with other stuff so I likely messed with something related, other then then regular maintenance work, parts and fluids it has been flawless, original clutch and timing

chain/tensioner even, oh I almost forgot, I did replace the fork seals once.

It's due for some TLC, my daughter and possibly my wife will be using the NC to learn to ride. 

It's perfect for a first motorcycle

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 4/19/2024 at 9:46 PM, Skids said:

Who is still doing flashes?  I believe Guhl no longer does them?  Sold my '12 about 5 years ago, thinking of getting another one.  Had a Guhl flash done.

• Member Contributer

There's a guy on FB called Stefan does it remotely. Only heard good words about his work.