Do the Fans Kick on Quite Often?

Just got the bike a week or so ago, checked all the fluids, brake pads, tires and took her out today. It was 50° outside, and I was really pushing the bike hard, flogging the engine to redline, triple digit speeds, testing the cornering and the limit of the brakes. The temp seemed fine no matter the speed, as long as I was moving. However, when stopped at idle for anything over 15-20 seconds, the fans would kick on. Again, it was 50°F outside. 

is this normal? The fans seemed to do their job, and the temp gauge was never in the “danger zone”, but it seemed excessive to me. But then again, I’ve never owned a V4, or an VFR, so I have no idea. 

Any thoughts are appreciated!

• Member Contributer

Not having a 1200, but can assure you the 800 in slow moving stop start traffic can bring on the cooling fan fairly quickly even in cold weather.

However 15-20sec in 10degC  sounds a bit suspicious. I take it you have confirmed good coolant levels in the reserve tank? No obvious coolant leaks? Radiator cores not obstructed with leaves, insects etc? Possible thermostat issue!

• Member Contributer

My 98 is relatively "normal" but my '00 runs warmer and gets there faster. 

I haven't owned a 1200, but from what I know of that bike it makes 170hp.  High HP bikes will generate a ton of heat, that's why Ducatis have somewhat of a reputation for air frying family jewels.  Are the fans cycling off?  I would expect in 50 degree weather a fan should run for a bit then satisfy the temp switch and shut off.

• Like 1

I will take her out today and let it idle at a stop after a hard ride, paying attention to the time the fans are on and the temp gauge. The high temp is forecasted to be 47°F today. 

If you're flogging the snot out of it, expect everything to be heat soaked.  Fan may run for a bit longer.  Try letting it warm up to fan switch temp, or some normal riding first and do a fan cycle test.  Will give you a good baseline before you go all Isle of Man.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 7:53 PM, ReadingVFR said:

If it was a bike that the ECU was flashed then the fans will click on more often.

Any way to check/know if the ECU was flashed besides testing the 155mph speed limiter?

• Member Contributer

You don't necessarily have to have the fans or speed limiter adjusted if you have the ECU flashed, that's the beauty of the procedure you can choose what to alter and by how much.

• Member Contributer
On 4/5/2024 at 9:18 PM, roadrasher said:

Any way to check/know if the ECU was flashed besides testing the 155mph speed limiter?

It would take a computer to check or it is possible there is a sticker on the ECU.

On 3/26/2024 at 2:36 AM, roadrasher said:

Just got the bike a week or so ago, checked all the fluids, brake pads, tires and took her out today. It was 50° outside, and I was really pushing the bike hard, flogging the engine to redline, triple digit speeds, testing the cornering and the limit of the brakes. The temp seemed fine no matter the speed, as long as I was moving. However, when stopped at idle for anything over 15-20 seconds, the fans would kick on. Again, it was 50°F outside. 

is this normal? The fans seemed to do their job, and the temp gauge was never in the “danger zone”, but it seemed excessive to me. But then again, I’ve never owned a V4, or an VFR, so I have no idea. 

Any thoughts are appreciated!

I have the 7th Gen (1200). When I got it, and travelling in traffic, it seemed like the fans were on all the time. However, swapped out the radiator with alloy one, and this seemed to reduce overall temp and definitely the fan activity.

The oem radiator was a joke...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Evo4g63t said:

I have the 7th Gen (1200). When I got it, and travelling in traffic, it seemed like the fans were on all the time. However, swapped out the radiator with alloy one, and this seemed to reduce overall temp and definitely the fan activity.

The oem radiator was a joke...

20230711_111431.jpg