Dual rectifiers

Devo

Has anyone tried running two R/Rs at the same time? Would this reduce the load on each R/R and possibly sneak some additional longevity from them?

Thanks,

Devo

If other replies come in I’m certainly curious to the answer. From what I understand, the stators in our VFR’s all have single windings. That’s the 3 yellow wires that put out high voltage AC. The rectifier portion of the R/R takes this AC and converts to DC, and the regulator keeps the voltage where it should be (around 12-14 volts) to prevent overcharging…

I have a Honda dirt bike with a dual wound stator. The windings are on each half of the stator. There are two separate AC leads that could connect to separate R/R’s come out of that stator. However, running two R/R’s, the wattage wouldn’t increase. Each stator would only have half the power available - the number of windings on the stator determine this. Benefits are: if one side of the stator’s windings go bad while riding, one could switch to the other set of AC wires and continue riding without lights, as that bike has separate circuits with ignition separated from it’s headlight. I am running two R/R’s in this case, but they are small, it’s a dirt bike. It could get you home if you were stuck. Not as useful on a VFR. Plan for a tow if/when your charging system fails, and resolve it for good.

To make the VFR’s charging system work well: Having a good stator with no shorts or opens and good uniform AC voltage across the 3 leads. A direct link with those yellow wires - no connectors, or a robust one if necessary. Corroded anything here won’t work - resistance means heat and that means parts failure. Get a good modern R/R. (Shindengen 847). Direct link from R/R to battery, fused, circumventing the wire harness. You’ll have a VFR that works well.

Still curious if the single AC leads were to be connected to two R/R’s, and what would happen there. It certainly isn’t optimal but is a good question.

• Member Contributer

If I was that worried about my R/R, I would replace it with a better unit. You can use a different brand sometimes, or just buy a better aftermarket. Think I had a GSXR1k on my 4th gen. My OEM one did fail, but I was still able to get myself home an hour or so away.

Thanks for the comments, gents.

Unfortunately, not my first rodeo. This afternoon marks my third stator replacement. Already replaced the r/r with a mosfet one early last year. Soldered wires, no connectors. Battery is relatively new. Have the VFRness installed. The curse followed me from my '97 to my '03.

Going to run a big ol' ground line directly to the battery this time as well. Was just musing about "if some is good, more must be better!" regarding r/rs. Fuck it, we're doing 5 rectifiers! https://www.theonion.com/fuck-everything-were-doing-five-blades-1819584036

Just getting frustrated with constant charging issues and not being able to rely on the bike. Makes it hard to go on any sort of road trip.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Devo said:

Thanks for the comments, gents.

Unfortunately, not my first rodeo. This afternoon marks my third stator replacement. Already replaced the r/r with a mosfet one early last year. Soldered wires, no connectors. Battery is relatively new. Have the VFRness installed. The curse followed me from my '97 to my '03.

Going to run a big ol' ground line directly to the battery this time as well. Was just musing about "if some is good, more must be better!" regarding r/rs. Fuck it, we're doing 5 rectifiers! https://www.theonion.com/fuck-everything-were-doing-five-blades-1819584036

Just getting frustrated with constant charging issues and not being able to rely on the bike. Makes it hard to go on any sort of road trip.

Hi Devo.

While the MOSFET R/R is a great improvement over the old OEM SCR Shunt type. The best option is the Series Type R/R like the SH847. The series type allows the stator to supply only the power required by the bikes electrical load.

When using the series type r/r changing the 55w x 2 halogen H4 headlights to LED equivalents will also benefit both r/r and stator. In fact any form of load reduction when using a series r/r will greatly benefit reliability of both stator and r/r, unlike the shunt type.

The other issue, is that virtually all failed stators fail in the windings that are Not bathed in the oil, oil helps in taking away the extreme heat that the windings experience as the stator is basically working flat out with a shunt type r/r and especially with the inefficient OEM SCR type.

One of the excellent updates on the 8gen is forced oil cooling for the Stator and an all new very smart and efficient r/r. 8gens have been going since 2014 and many like my own have clocked up large mileage, I haven't heard of a stator failure yet, but the r/r have failed, only two that I'm aware of over the two VFR forums.

Once you do get your charging issues sorted the 6gen VFR is extremely reliable. Had three of them only one needed a stator replacement.

Good luck.

Cheers.

• Like 1