I test all my wires and fuses and have power but no display/lights/starter, still!!!

demarion

I bought the bike off a guy almost a month ago and it's not in the best shape (he hot-wired it after he lost the key clean bike Tho!). I went over all wires and fuse and nothing was wrong besides the hot wire part but ,I got it running then put it away for a few weeks, and when I pulled it out I put the wires together everything was like normal had it idling and I stalled because I'm still new but when I stalled I lost all power to my dash, lights, starter, basically everything lost power. so, I start testing all the wires off the battery ground and all the wires are getting power but I'm still not getting any dash lights headlight or the Eletric starter to work I checked all my fuses and there good, but I still get nothing. I have no idea what to do???????(battery is good)

• Member Contributer

When you say the battery is good, how old is it? And have you had it load checked?

Assume you have verified the Main Fuse A 30amp in the Starter Relay is good? Check for any burnt or overheated stress signs on the fuse itself and that it fits snugly into its leg sockets.

Do you have the wiring diagram for your bike and do you have a multimeter?

Make sure the connector plug to the Starter Relay has no sign of overheated, burnt or high resistance joints especially for the Red wire and Red/White wire.

Suggest as a starting point you measure the 12v feeding your fuses in the fuse box and work back from that, If the 12v for the fuses is absent follow the Red/Black wire back to the Ignition Switch. The Ignition switch (when On)  joins the incoming 12v from the battery (via Main Fuse A 30amp) on the Red wire to the Red/Black wire which then feeds 12v to your sub fuses within the fuse box. 

If needed follow this voltage back to the battery on the Red wire? Somewhere between the battery and your fuse box is where you appear to have lost 12v.

• Member Contributer

Are there chassis grounds on this bike?  I'd think if all is getting power, you have a grounding problem maybe??

i checked the grounds and made sure they have good connection, and they all seem to be getting power i cannot find a wiring diagram anywhere and i don't have a multimeter, it like a pen that glows when it gets power dimmer light if not enough power. the fuses are good but my starter relay itself is a tab bit rusted nothing major i don't but I'm going to follow wires and see if i can find where I'm losing my 12 v!

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Grum said:

Assume you have verified the Main Fuse A 30amp in the Starter Relay is good?

Make sure the connector plug to the Starter Relay has no sign of overheated, burnt or high resistance joints especially for the Red wire and Red/White wire.

Did you do this?

It is a VERY common failure point on that model.  You need to unplug the RED connector that is connected to the Starter Relay and inspect it.  They are often overheated and melted and will result in the symptom you describe.

relay1.jpg.a5d364f21aae7cf45d57df68be2340ec.jpg

relay2.thumb.JPG.867906e0df57d4777cec1695cea275ad.JPG

• Member Contributer
22 minutes ago, demarion said:

i cannot find a wiring diagram anywhere

1986 VFR Wiring Diagram

Right here on this site in the "Downloads" section.  The 86 is VERY close to the 87 and applicable to anything you would probably need the diagram for.

18 hours ago, Grum said:

gest as a starting point you measure the 12v feeding your fuses in the fuse box and work back from that, If the 12v for the fuses is absent follow the Red/Black wire back to the Ignition Switch. The Ignition switch (when On)  joins the incoming 12v from the battery (via Main Fuse A 30amp) on the Red wire to the Red/Black wire which then feeds 12v to your sub fuses within the fuse box. 

If needed follow this voltage back to the battery on the Red wire? Somewhere between the battery and your fuse box is where you appear to have lost 12v.

4 hours ago, demarion said:

i checked the grounds and made sure they have good connection, and they all seem to be getting power i cannot find a wiring diagram anywhere and i don't have a multimeter, it like a pen that glows when it gets power dimmer light if not enough power. the fuses are good but my starter relay itself is a tab bit rusted nothing major i don't but I'm going to follow wires and see if i can find where I'm losing my 12 v!

3 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

1986 VFR Wiring Diagram

Right here on this site in the "Downloads" section.  The 86 is VERY close to the 87 and applicable to anything you would probably need the diagram for.

i did as u guys suggested and because i have no fairings the Eletric plug in from ignition switch to wire harness had water in it due to rain the other day i got it all out checked all the other plug ins and they were dry, after it dried i checked made sure it wasn't burnt or corraded and i plugged everything back together and sealed the tops off with electric tape im and it has full power to the dash but now when i press starter button it don't make any kind of noise and it kind of looses a tad bit of power from the dash like its gonna try to start or atleast turn over but doesn't. Any ideas? 

• Member Contributer

battery

If you have a car and some cables, jump from the car battery (not running) to the bike battery and re-try.

• Member Contributer
On 2/8/2024 at 7:50 AM, demarion said:

i press starter button it don't make any kind of noise and it kind of looses a tad bit of power from the dash like its gonna try to start or atleast turn over but doesn't. Any ideas? 

Yeah, as mentioned first up! load check your Battery!!

Then buy yourself a multimeter, you can't properly work on bike electrics without one And knowing how to use it!

TIP - First thing, with any electrical issue ALWAYS verify the health of the Battery no matter how old or new, and make sure the terminals are clean and tight.

2 hours ago, Captain 80s said:

battery

If you have a car and some cables, jump from the car battery (not running) to the bike battery and re-try.

1 hour ago, Grum said:

Yeah, as mentioned first up! load check your Battery!!

Then buy yourself a multimeter, you can't properly work on bike electrics without one and knowing how to use it!

TIP - First thing, with any electrical issue ALWAYS verify the health of the Battery no matter how old or new and make sure the terminals are clean and tight.

I'm going to try and jump it tomorrow off my car, and yeah i have to go pick up a multimeter. i have one more question do you guys know where i could find fairings for it so i dont have to worry about water?

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, demarion said:

do you guys know where i could find fairings for it so i dont have to worry about water?

Keep checking eBay for overpriced, cracked, scraped fairing pieces.  You might be able to cobble something together. 

Airtech stills makes fiberglass replacements.  They are not cheap or easy to install on a bike with street equipment.

Airtech Streamlining - 86 / 87 body parts  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rdgenred said:

I have a set of  airtech. They don’t have mounting hardware, so look on ebay for that(mounting hardware) as well. 

will this fit on a 700f2

• Member Contributer
34 minutes ago, demarion said:

will this fit on a 700f2

If by "this" you are referring to the 86/87 VFR bodywork on the Airtech site...   then, yes.

Again, REMEMBER, it is NOT bolt on.  There are no holes drilled, no mounting hardware supplied. no mounts for the headlight.  This is racing bodywork that CAN be made to work on a street bike.

I think your time an and money will be better spent sourcing some original bodywork off of eBay, even if it is scraped and cracked.  They can be repaired and will mount much easier and better.

But, it's your time and money.  Good luck.  Get the bike running good first, I don't think "water" is/was your problem.