Odd Gauges flicker

VeeEffArah

2000 with 30k. Repalced the 5 main display bulbs with LED. Changed bulbs when I noticed some were burned out and display hard to see leaving at dawn in the mornings.

Now when brake is applied or turn signal is on, the gauge panel has a noticable flicker. Can tell more on the digital display but all 3 panels do it.

For brake, the flicker is just once when appled. T/S the flicker is with each blink.

Battery is new. R/R is new FH020 with Roadster harness. Checked main RH ground and orange spider block. All good there.

All other connecters were cleaned and gooped when I inspected them all over the spring. 

Bike runs great and no issues.

Normal occurance and I didn't notice because the display bulbs were out? Or what else to check ?

• Member Contributer

When you say you checked the spider block, did you just pull the bridge out of the block ? And it all looked clean ?  I did that on mine then cut the block out as the earths were corroded in the crimps for the block. I stripped & cleaned all the wires & soldered them together to replace the block connector. Bike has been much better since ! 

• Thanks 1

What is your charging voltage?  Are these quality LEDs?  Are your brake lights and signal lights the standard incandescents?

This is otherwise normal behavior for small stand alone LEDs (no driver ballast). LEDs are more sensitive to abrupt voltage changes.  All my backlight bulbs in my dash are Sylvania LEDs.  I notice a flicker that corresponds with turn signal flashes.  With standard incandescents still installed for the signal lights, that's a combined 42W switching off and on.  The LEDs are simply reflecting that abrupt voltage drop.

• Thanks 1

Spider block - Yes, took off the cap / bridge and inspected the prongs and all the wires at the block base. All good, same as from March inspections.

Charging voltage constant at 14 to 14.2v between 4-5000 rpm. The 5 LED display replacements are Amazon units. T10 / 194 5050 units that were like $9 for 6.

All other bulbs in the gauges, turn and brake bulbs are OEM incandescents. Headlights are LED btw.

Thanks for the insight and info. Will just keep adding miles to it.

It's not just the LEDs that reflect the off and on of the turn signals.  I can see my neutral indicator light (still an incandescent) gently pulse with the turn signals.  The filament is slower to respond so it adds a fading effect and smooths out the effects of the voltage drop, but it's still pulsing.

Next time it's getting dark and you find yourself at an intersection with the signals going, observe the neutral light.

• Thanks 1

• Member Contributer

Tested my Gen5 today, running a FH020AA R/R and Roadster harness, all bulbs everywhere (except FI light) are LED, LED headlamps and LED compatible flasher unit.  Charging voltage is 14.2 and nary a flicker anywhere I can see when signals or brakes applied.  I'd chalk it up to having incandescents in the signals and brakes.

• Thanks 1