8th Gen - Air Filter Replacement Advice Please

Skids

• Member Contributer

Hi all, for any of you 8th Gen owners that have replaced their 8th Gen air filter, some advice please.

I am replacing the air filter on my 2018 VFR800X Crossrunner which has the same engine as the 8th Gen but the tank is different. On yours, you can replace the air filter by just lifting the tank but on mine, it's a tank removal. I'm using the factory SM which is not as well written as a Haynes but it's all I have.

To remove the tank on the Crossie, I need to disconnect the quick release connector on the fuel feed (and the drain & breather hoses). 

800X Addendum to SM20230826_092959.thumb.jpg.e25986eb310c96e3960c5c4ef24e328f.jpg

800F SM

20230826_093011.thumb.jpg.cf5bbb2d84208503a346361bc5225c9a.jpg

Is it safe to assume that the tank will not empty through the feed hose, that there's a non-return valve in there or something? The manual states some will seep out but as my tank is half full, I don't have enough "shop towels" to soak all that up.

It's going to be significantly harder than it looks in the 800F picture above as the 800X tank will only lift a few inches and the front is prevented from lifting much by the handlebars, which I may have to remove.

Anyway, confirmation that the fuel tank wont vomit forth all over my garage floor would be appreciated.  :beer:

• Member Contributer

Hi Skids, did you make any progress with this? I don't know the answer for fact but the SM doesn't say anywhere to drain the tank. I guess it's a risk.....Is there any way you can lift the tank enough to release the line to see if it leaks and then quickly reconnect if it does

• Member Contributer

It's very tight at the back, hardly lifts at all so no, I don't think so.

Just about to head into garage. 

As you say, manual doesn't say empty the tank so....... 

• Member Contributer

Sorted!

In order to remove the tank, you need to relieve the pressure following the guide below, then you can disconnect the fuel line. I couldn't access the back of the tank enough to get my hands in place to disconnect the fuel pump connector (3P), it was one of those awful Honda connectors that you have to press in several places to get it to come apart - no chance with the access I had. So I had a cup of tea to ponder things then decided I'd give it a try with the tank in place.

20230827_140028.thumb.jpg.0209ee75cd0924019fd1babbf32d83f9.jpg

Holding the front up as high as I could with a piece of wood, I (very) carefully removed all the screws holding the airbox lid on. Not an easy task but taking it slowly I was able to undo them all and carefully remove them without dropping them (did that on my '98 many years ago) using a magnetic tool I have for that purpose. I was just able to move the top aside enough to remove the old air filter, squeeze in the new one and get the lid back on, but it was tight.

I then VERY gingerly and slowly lowered the screws back into place and tightened them up. Thanks Honda! NOT!

20230827_124719.thumb.jpg.47974acae728e0d4931d142ca6299ddc.jpg

• Member Contributer

Well done! The old filter doesn't look too bad actually but the new one should allow better breathing.

Your experience makes me think some of Honda's design choices with the 8 Gen F&X are a bit of 'form over function' when it comes to mtce. I've yet to fit my braided rear brake lines because access is really difficult and that's for items that are supposed to be routinely replaced.

To get to the rear ABS hard line connectors (X2), it's a case of battery out and reserve coolant tank out, footrest off and heat shield removed. The SM says to do that you need to take the rear fender off as well. What were they thinking?  I'm gonna try to get the reserve coolant tank out without taking off the fender but I can see it's going to require magnetic holder tools, 3 hands and a lot of swearing. Consequently I haven't summoned up the energy yet!

• Member Contributer

Cheers Honda. Even better as I now discover the tank has to come off to enable access to the 10mm coolant reserve tank bolt. What the f...  

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Presson said:

Cheers Honda. Even better as I now discover the tank has to come off to enable access to the 10mm coolant reserve tank bolt. What the f...  

FFS

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Presson said:

My new rear braided brake lines are also still sitting in the box. Not looking forward to putting them on. Fronts on though.

• Member Contributer
15 minutes ago, VFR78 said:

My new rear braided brake lines are also still sitting in the box. Not looking forward to putting them on. Fronts

If I get round to fitting the rears before you I'll do a step by step. However, swearing might be included.

Archived